BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Sad to see this: Southern Cal hires Florida Gulf Coast's Andy Enfield

This team was that one bright spot in the tournament you love to see every year. Granted, Wichita St. is a great story also. But I think ppl fell in love with some of these players on FGCU and how they performed out there as a unit.

The FGCU team was that team that showed unreal unity and LOVED being out there. They enjoyed it even more when they won those games. Lot of teams show nervousness when they are unknown and not expected to win any games. They obviously were attached to the coach, and the way they played showed immediately they without a doubt had something special with that guy running the team.

You can't blame him leaving unfortunately, as the money was MASSIVELY more than what he makes now (10x his annual salary or a 1000% raise.). It wasn't a Shaka Smart situation because Smart was already making OK money at VCU compared to Enfield's $150,000 salary.

Hate to see it end so quickly for them. Would have liked to see them make it back next year. I'm sure they got a little recruiting boost with their performance, but losing the coach hurts them BIGTIME for that now.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

His wife is looking for a Hollywood move. You think Andy would say no to her?

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    His wife is looking for a Hollywood move. You think Andy would say no to her?

Yeah, good call. She probably has money already though. She's one hot bitch.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Best time for both sides to move on really. FGC is now a halfway attractive coaching option and Enfield can take the next step in his career. They don't need the money but coaching in that conference is only going to get you so far yielding 1 tourny spot a year. If he brings that style to USC and it works, it'll be big time.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

His wife is beat up I dont know why people are talking about her so much. She is way past her prime

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

His wife will be able to recruit players...with her mouth.

Players leave college all the time for the NBA and more $$$, good on him for doing the same. Not that he needs it...dude is loaded already. Minority owner of a company worth millions.

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    His wife will be able to recruit players...with her mouth.

Players leave college all the time for the NBA and more $$$, good on him for doing the same. Not that he needs it...dude is loaded already. Minority owner of a company worth millions.
    Was not aware of millions already. Although it would make sense having a wife like that. She isn't marrying a random broke Ncaa coach.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Nothing wrong with Enfield, but he has no business in the USC coaching job.

Guy wont be able to recruit for shit. Has zero LA ties.

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Was not aware of millions already. Although it would make sense having a wife like that. She isn't marrying a random broke Ncaa coach.
    He started his own company that ended up being worth a ton of money, then as nino said became a minority owner when he decided to coach basketball. He was already worth millions (double digit millions at that). He was essentially retired and coaching basketball for fun

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Yeah, a buddy and I were having that conversation. I described him as a lanky David Letterman. My buddy goes, he has to have a huge cokk or be loaded. Turns out...he was loaded.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Nothing wrong with Enfield, but he has no business in the USC coaching job.

Guy wont be able to recruit for shit. Has zero LA ties.
    USC recruits itself, they just need someone who can coach. this guy can coach.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry Pig View Post
    USC recruits itself, they just need someone who can coach. this guy can coach.
    Not in basketball. Not at all.

They will get 4th and possibly 5th priority of whoever UCLA, ARIZONA, Oregon and Cal don't want.

USC will get the rejects that are being disregarded by the major players due to character flaws.

I forgot where I read/heard it, but the comparison to Keno Davis and Providence is spot on, and most likely equally fruitless for the paying University.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

its the spotlight they want, not the money...once you have money, and women, you want the POWER, RECOGNITION, SPOTLIGHT

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    its the spotlight they want, not the money...once you have money, and women, you want the POWER, RECOGNITION, SPOTLIGHT
    That was the case for only OJ Mayo - who then latter turned out to topple the basketball program in a resurgence all by himself.

If USC recruited itself, its roster wouldn't be fukk up transfers from D1 or Juco transfers. UCLA has been blackballed by the LA HS's for going on 3 years now because of Howland - and USC still failed to land or even get onto the radar of anyone worth it.

Which is even crazier when you consider how rich California is with talent the last couple years, and even more going forward.

Also, being in the spotlight, does not mean playing on the 4th most attractive team in LA, which is a generally sports apathetic city.

EDIT: Just realized you might be talking about the fact that he pulled a perfect 10 for a wife and not USC.
    Last edited by ChalkyDog; 04-02-13 at 09:26 AM.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

This happens all the time where a coach has one nice run in the tournament with a small unknown school or a school with no basketball pedigree and then does nothing at the new school because he is in way over his head and the AD's who hire them do not do their research and as a result the bad hire sets the school back for years.

For example:

Stan Heath (Kent St) to Arkansas and now South Florida, bust
    Steve Alfrod (Missouri St) to Iowa, bust
    Dan Monson (Gonazaga) to Minnesota, bust
    Todd Lickliter (Butler) to Iowa, bust
    Billy Gillespie (TXAM) to Kentucky, bust

Soon to join the list:

Anthony Grant (VCU) to Alabama, eventual bust if not already
    Fran McCaffrey (Siena College) to Iowa, eventual bust
    Frank Martin (Kansas State) to South Carolina, eventual bust

And also add to the list, every Duke assistant coach under Coach K as total busts:

Quin Snyder
    Jeff Capel
    Mike Brey
    Tommy Amaker
    Johnny Dawkins
    Etc...
    Last edited by BuddyBear; 04-02-13 at 10:26 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BennyBigNuts

Huckleberry Pig

That was the case for only OJ Mayo - who then latter turned out to topple the basketball program in a resurgence all by himself.

If USC recruited itself, its roster wouldn't be fukk up transfers from D1 or Juco transfers. UCLA has been blackballed by the LA HS's for going on 3 years now because of Howland - and USC still failed to land or even get onto the radar of anyone worth it.

Which is even crazier when you consider how rich California is with talent the last couple years, and even more going forward.

Also, being in the spotlight, does not mean playing on the 4th most attractive team in LA, which is a generally sports apathetic city.

EDIT: Just realized you might be talking about the fact that he pulled a perfect 10 for a wife and not USC.
    you bring up good points, don't follow basketball enough for me to stand behind my statement lol but you sound like you do so I'll take your word for it. Who do you think would have been a better fit for USC?

sportsguy04
    [Too Long]
    sportsguy04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2431

Terrible hire! This team had one good tourney run, didn't even blow thru their conf!

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Not in basketball. Not at all.

They will get 4th and possibly 5th priority of whoever UCLA, ARIZONA, Oregon and Cal don't want.

USC will get the rejects that are being disregarded by the major players due to character flaws.
    Chalky.......you know your Pac 12 basketball. I'll give you that. But, you're wrong about USC only being able to land "rejects".

Just a few years ago the combination of Tim Floyd and the opening of the Galen Center (top notch arena) had USC's basketball program on the right track. USC made the NCAA Tourney in 2007, 2008, and 2009 (and again in 2011) and sent Nick Young, OJ Mayo, Taj Gibson, and DeMar Derozan to the NBA.

Then came the OJ Mayo scandal and resignation of Tim Floyd. When Floyd resigned top notch recruits Derrick Williams (NBA), Solomon Hill (soon to be in the NBA), and MoMo Jones all fled for Tuscon and signed with Arizona.

If the Mayo scandal doesn't happen........Floyd stays........as do Williams, Hill, and Jones.......whom would have been paired up with the likes of Nikola Vucevic........and USC would still be rolling. They would have been stronger than Cal & Oregon all day........and giving ucla/arizona some stiff competition.

Bottom line..........USC has a great arena, and rich talent pool to recruit from, and a brand new athletic training facility. Most of the Pac 12 can't say the same.

New athletic facility that opened late last summer.

Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 02-25-15 at 09:29 AM.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Enfield got his 15 minutes of fame and quickly screwed over all those kids at Fla-GC. That school would have upped his salary if he negotiated with them. He put them on the map. All this said, why on earth would he not sit and wait for a better opportunity than USC? That is simply not a desirable job for a marquee college hoops coach (regardless of the weight rooms). You couldn't pay me enough for me to move my family to that particular part of LA. A total shithole. Plus, he's gonna have to bump into Lane Kiffin on a regular basis.......a total A-hole. A bad, impatient move.

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    Enfield got his 15 minutes of fame and quickly screwed over all those kids at Fla-GC. That school would have upped his salary if he negotiated with them. He put them on the map. All this said, why on earth would he not sit and wait for a better opportunity than USC? That is simply not a desirable job for a marquee college hoops coach (regardless of the weight rooms). You couldn't pay me enough for me to move my family to that particular part of LA. A total shithole. Plus, he's gonna have to bump into Lane Kiffin on a regular basis.......a total A-hole. A bad, impatient move.
    LOL.......you're a fool. You think guys making big dollars live in South Central L.A.? They live in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc.

Since when is Enfield a "marque college coach"?

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Chalky.......you know your Pac 12 basketball. I'll give you that. But, you're wrong about USC only being able to land "rejects".

Just a few years ago the combination of Tim Floyd and the opening of the Galen Center (top notch arena) had USC's basketball program on the right track. USC made the NCAA Tourney in 2007, 2008, and 2009 (and again in 2011) and sent Nick Young, OJ Mayo, Taj Gibson, and DeMar Derozan to the NBA.

Then came the OJ Mayo scandal and resignation of Tim Floyd. When Floyd resigned top notch recruits Derrick Williams (NBA), Solomon Hill (soon to be in the NBA), and MoMo Jones all fled for Tuscon and signed with Arizona.

If the Mayo scandal doesn't happen........Floyd stays........as do Williams, Hill, and Jones.......whom would have been paired up with the likes of Nikola Vucevic........and USC would still be rolling. They would have been stronger than Cal & Oregon all day........and giving ucla/arizona some stiff competition.

Bottom line..........USC has a great arena, and rich talent pool to recruit from, and a brand new athletic training facility. Most of the Pac 12 can't say the same.

New athletic facility that opened late last summer.

1) Solomon Hill never signed with USC, he was set on going to Arizona since he was in middle school, but we had our own coaching disaster, as soon as we hired Sean - Solomon gave his verbal commitment to Arizona immediately (Also, before Floyd was fired).

To Note: Solomon Hill was the highest rated recruit of the bunch, and he was only a 4 star.

2) Momo Jones was a NYC reject from Oak Hill. Had all kinds of character issues then, and still does now.

3) Derrick Williams was a fringe top 100 recruit, who didn't have too many high major offers. His best was Memphis at the time. So, he chose to stay close to home. (The majority and damn near only reason Cali kids goes to USC).

USC turned around, and picked a flavor of the month for a coach, when it had at least 3 months to do a search. They don't give two shits about basketball, and any serious basketball player doesn't give two shits about USC.
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 02-25-15 at 09:29 AM.

EASports
    EASports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Who's the worse hire, Pat Hayden or Enfield?

I dont not know how Hayden interacts with alums, and booster, but his continued employment of Kiffin and lazy hiring of Enfield suggest he isnt anyone special.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

LOL.......you're a fool. You think guys making big dollars live in South Central L.A.? They live in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc.

Since when is Enfield a "marque college coach"?
    He is a marquee college coach this week, a hot commodity......like it or not. He made his entrance onto the national stage and people like what they see. Even if he does live in Hermosa or Manhattan, he still has to make that dreadful commute every day and he has to worry about his wife coming into the South Central war zone to watch the games. The place is a shit hole, even if it is your alma mater. Enfield could have done better.

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry N. Lloyd View Post
    He is a marquee college coach this week, a hot commodity......like it or not. He made his entrance onto the national stage and people like what they see. Even if he does live in Hermosa or Manhattan, he still has to make that dreadful commute every day and he has to worry about his wife coming into the South Central war zone to watch the games. The place is a shit hole, even if it is your alma mater. Enfield could have done better.
    I'm certainly not saying L.A. is a gem, but...........when was the last time you were in/around the downtown area? The transformation that has taken place the past ten years is amazing. Obviously, there will always be "shit hole" areas/spots, but........things are improving.

Brebos
    Brebos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 271

I just creamed my pants...Look at the squat racks, the chains, all that metal goodness...beautiful.
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 02-25-15 at 09:30 AM.

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Yeah, a buddy and I were having that conversation. I described him as a lanky David Letterman. My buddy goes, he has to have a huge cokk or be loaded. Turns out...he was loaded.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Flavor of the Month Cinderella coaches who bolted for bigger jobs after their tourney runs: Dan Monson, Gary Waters, Steve Merfield, Stan Heath, Todd Lickliter, Bruce Pearl, Darrin Horn, Keno Davis, Billy Kennedy, Steve Donahue. Out of those, only Bruce Pearl was/has been successful.

William Walters

1) Solomon Hill never signed with USC, he was set on going to Arizona since he was in middle school, but we had our own coaching disaster, as soon as we hired Sean - Solomon gave his verbal commitment to Arizona immediately (Also, before Floyd was fired).

To Note: Solomon Hill was the highest rated recruit of the bunch, and he was only a 4 star.

2) Momo Jones was a NYC reject from Oak Hill. Had all kinds of character issues then, and still does now.

3) Derrick Williams was a fringe top 100 recruit, who didn't have too many high major offers. His best was Memphis at the time. So, he chose to stay close to home. (The majority and damn near only reason Cali kids goes to USC).

USC turned around, and picked a flavor of the month for a coach, when it had at least 3 months to do a search. They don't give two shits about basketball, and any serious basketball player doesn't give two shits about USC.
    Solomon Hill "verballed" to USC. Of course he hadn't signed or it would have been messy.

Momo is a mental midget, but that doesn't change the fact that he can ball and had also verballed to SC.

Derrick Williams........his 3-star ranking is inconsequential here......the point was/is that if the Floyd/Mayo fiasco hand't taken place all three would have been in L.A. rather than Tuscon (yes, including Hill).

Listen to you............Mr. Know It All............you don't know what the fukk Pat Haden is or isn't doing to improve the basketball program. The bottom line is.......SC just invested in to a coach with a big upside and has facilities that shit on those found in Tuscon.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
    This happens all the time where a coach has one nice run in the tournament with a small unknown school or a school with no basketball pedigree and then does nothing at the new school because he is in way over his head and the AD's who hire them do not do their research and as a result the bad hire sets the school back for years.

For example:

Stan Heath (Kent St) to Arkansas and now South Florida, bust
    Steve Alfrod (Missouri St) to Iowa, bust
    Dan Monson (Gonazaga) to Minnesota, bust
    Todd Lickliter (Butler) to Iowa, bust
    Billy Gillespie (TXAM) to Kentucky, bust

Soon to join the list:

Anthony Grant (VCU) to Alabama, eventual bust if not already
    Fran McCaffrey (Siena College) to Iowa, eventual bust
    Frank Martin (Kansas State) to South Carolina, eventual bust

And also add to the list, every Duke assistant coach under Coach K as total busts:

Quin Snyder
    Jeff Capel
    Mike Brey
    Tommy Amaker
    Johnny Dawkins
    Etc...
    AG is one of the better coaches in the game....

Top 10 Defensive minded coach and still so young..

Mike Brey is an outstanding coach, how can he be on a list like this...

Martin and MCaffrey will be fine as well.

Dawk has stanford on the rise, and Amaker just got a damn win in the tourney.

What is a bust to you? Anybody who doesn't win a title the next year?

unrealz

Also Alford just got hired by UCLA!
    Last edited by Louisvillekid1; 04-03-13 at 02:34 PM.

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

When your hot you take the big time shot ....if you dont it may not come along again.
    Who cares whats in his bank aact we are talking bball