Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Video of flagrant foul no-calls at basketball game goes viral

The 5th one is ridiculous

As the Tri-City Herald reported, Vanderbilt turned into public enemy number one when Michael Christenson decided to film a game between Connell and Highland (Wash.) High to prove to parents at Highland that the basketball league needed better officials.
    As it turns out, the clip did more than just spotlight an officiating problem; it also made seniors Cole Vanderbilt and teammate Kennan VanHollebeke look like the dirtiest players on the court.
    Someone apparently didn't appreciate the fouls -- the fifth foul is definitely of the flagrant variety -- because before anyone could blink, the video had gone viral, with one website proclaiming Vanderbilt to be "the dirtiest basketball player in America."
    While Christenson certainly proved his point with the video, what he didn't expect was the outcry on YouTube from commenters who viewed the clip. The negative and sometimes hurtful responses to the fouls forced Vanderbilt's coaches and family to go into damage-control mode.
    "[Cole Vanderbilt] a tough kid, but those that know him know he's a teddy bear," Connell coach Oscar Garza told the Tri-City Herald. "My 7-year-old son loves him and lights up when he's around. But on (YouTube) he's the world's meanest, ugliest kid. It's not fair, but I just want him to know his teammates and coaches are behind him."
    Even though you could probably make a case that most of the fouls, while aggressive in nature, weren't of the flagrant variety. There's no doubting the fifth foul is definitely the kind of bushleague garbage that should get you kicked out of a game.
    It's clear from the way Vanderbilt goes after the Highland player that he had no intention of going for the ball; he was merely trying to make sure the player never had a chance to make it to the hoop.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

How is No. 2 a flagrant foul?

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

I think it kinda looked worse than it was. Mostly it was that fat #34 dude (clips 1,3,5). I think he's probably just a big fat dude who's very unathletic and slow to react and that's just kind of how he moves. Not that it isn't an issue, he's going to hurt someone, but I'm guessing it's not an intent thing. Clip 4 was definitely a shove, probably frustration. #2 didn't look like anything much.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: eidolon

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

Every call against the team in white. 4 of the calls were against that fat fukk. That fat fukk looked like he was intentionally trying to hurt people. Other team appears to be mexican... clearly something racial going on here.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLcopter View Post

Every call against the team in white. 4 of the calls were against that fat fukk. That fat fukk looked like he was intentionally trying to hurt people. Other team appears to be mexican... clearly something racial going on here.

I do agree that they all were not but number 5 clearly was and they called it a hold.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I think it kinda looked worse than it was. Mostly it was that fat #34 dude (clips 1,3,5). I think he's probably just a big fat dude who's very unathletic and slow to react and that's just kind of how he moves. Not that it isn't an issue, he's going to hurt someone, but I'm guessing it's not an intent thing. Clip 4 was definitely a shove, probably frustration. #2 didn't look like anything much.
    Yea, the shove was the only one that looked flagrant to me as well... Mostly looked like an uncoordinated fat kid trying to play basketball against a group of undersized kids...
    Last edited by LVHerbie; 01-05-12 at 11:59 AM.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

If you were 17 years old and couldn't see your rooster you'd be angry too.

Fat guys = angry guys (except ttwarrior.....guy is soft as a fresh roll of Charmin)

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Soft as a roll of charmin

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah no idea why they even included the 2nd foul in the clip, just brings your case down because its clearly not a bad foul. His coaches and family can back him up, whatever, but that kid is clearly an asshole. Say he's slow and unathletic and it was unintentional but if thats the case hes still a dick for the way he acted after that last foul. Doesn't even look at the kid he just clotheslined just turns around and stands there smiling like a fat happy idiot. Those refs are a joke and that kid needs to get tossed.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    Yeah no idea why they even included the 2nd foul in the clip, just brings your case down because its clearly not a bad foul. His coaches and family can back him up, whatever, but that kid is clearly an asshole. Say he's slow and unathletic and it was unintentional but if thats the case hes still a dick for the way he acted after that last foul. Doesn't even look at the kid he just clotheslined just turns around and stands there smiling like a fat happy idiot. Those refs are a joke and that kid needs to get tossed.

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fat guy just smiling, he loved every minute of it.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

lol fat white boy never leaves his feet just laying people out

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post

That guy needs to get sodomized then T-bagged by someone his own size...who he clearly wouldn't play "tough guy" with. He's just out there to be a bully and play dirty and then laughs about it.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

i think #5 was the only foul worth looking at

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

football player in a hoops jersey

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

yup Dutchie

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

That team in red needs a couple bruisers. Bring in a couple of football players if you have to, i mean fuk. They didn't have anyone to stand up to him. Yes, it is the refs job, but if the ref isn't doing his job, then you have to either quit playing or do something about it.

In high school we had a guys who could make sure no shit like this went down. Almost like your hockey enforcers. If Fatty from team white had someone come in to give it right back to him, he eventually would have calmed down or gotten himself thrown out.
    Last edited by Tree Rollins; 01-05-12 at 03:10 PM.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

fouls yes; only #5 was would be called a flagrant

Tree Rollins

I just watched number 5. Red team didn't have anyone even go get in his face. They just had a bunch of scrawny guys out there. Have to have at least 1 guy on the team to put in who can stand up to that fat bastard.

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    fouls yes; only #5 was would be called a flagrant
    Yeah but it was obvious on all of them what they were doing. They weren't trying to make basketball plays, they were just trying to hit people or hurt people. That's what happens when the refs have no control over the game, things progressively get worse until someone does get hurt.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Correct Tree. If that was the inner city, stands would have cleared and shots may have popped off.

The Prick
    Make America Great
    The Prick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3625

holy jeesus mug plays hs hoops?

Tree Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    Correct Tree. If that was the inner city, stands would have cleared and shots may have popped off.
    Caps may have been busted.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

Just good hard fouls. No easy baskets. NBA/NCAA should learn from it.

That's how they played in the old days. Knicks, Heat, Pistons.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    Caps may have been busted.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

what is the world coming to? kid is fat, slow, unathletic, and sucks at basketball. embarrass him on the court instead of having your parents make a flagrant foul compilation youtube video, what a joke.

elbow him at the other end, get in his face after your teammate and friend just got mollywhopped

anything but a "viral video" jesus christ. pussification of america

also, no chance he does this against black kids

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

the other end of the spectrum.....

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is why u should always have me on your team. I would have bitch slapped the dude running down the court when the refs backs were turned. You know he is slow getting back. You just lay back on a fast break and punk him down to the court. GUARANTEE he never plays that way again in a game in his life. Lesson learned.

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9434

34 is just mad he's fat.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post

Animals

firebill
    firebill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

where are all the black guys?

if that was a black team fatty would have been in a WORLD OF HURT. is that racist?

jjaycuny
    jjaycuny's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9434

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    angry black people fights: fun to watch on the comp, not fun to be the one white guy in the bleachers

snoopaloop31
    snoopaloop31's Avatar Become A Pro!

LOL @ COOP. As if fighting is the answer....

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

not as bad as they look

Antwon1825
    Antwon1825's Avatar Become A Pro!

The fifth foul was shitty, the others weren't THAT bad. And that crazy black fight.... was crazy

12 Last