LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Mavericks Fire Avery Johnson

Are some big trades next?

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 143

this should be no suprise to anyone, Cubin is going to shake things up over the off season. One and done will never be enough for this guy.

Mattn3236
    Mattn3236's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good now they need to get rid of scottie pipen, oh sorry I mean Dirk!

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

the team isnt that good
    it aint averys fault

TheAnswer03
    TheAnswer03's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its nowhere near Avery's fault. But that's what happens when you can't fire your team.

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

They should fire Josh Howard... I'm 6'3" and I know I could have made more shots in the playoffs than he did

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6513

dirk=gasol. dirk is not someone you build your team around

ryanXL977

thats not true at all.
    dirks 23 and 10 every night
    he is absolutely a stud
    he took them to the finals 2 yrs back and if the refs dont hand wade fouls, mavs win in 5

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dirk isn't the problem and neither is Avery. Howard had a bad series, but he's part of the solution, not the problem. Just picked a bad time to have a horrible series. If Dallas hadn't made the Kidd trade, they end up a 4 seed, give or take. The Kidd trade was a bad move, plain and simple. Jason Terry needs to go, but he's tied up next year. Dampier needs to go, but he's locked into his deal through 2011. They're old and getting older and Kidd's getting $21 mil next year (his option), they have zero cap room and really have no young assets to get rid of... They're in trouble, plain and simple.

babaoriley
    babaoriley's Avatar Become A Pro!

Remember, the Mavs were 35-18 before Kidd. 17-17 since.

ryanXL977

baba is right

plus, the west has 5 teams better than dallas even with devin harris:

lal
    new orl
    utah
    sa

maybe suns
    maybe houston

they just missed their shot 2 yrs ago

sad for me but true

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dallas and Phoenix are two teams that share the same 'willingness' to let the past dominate the present. Phoenix has its Spurs trauma from last year. I believe it was this trauma that hypnotized them during the final minutes of games 1 and 5, as well as during the entirety of games 2 and 3 in response to losing game 1.

The Dallas trauma is broader. They lost the finals to Miami, which they should have won. They choked. (Never tell me Dirk is not a choker when everything is on the line, because he is). So they spend the entire next season playing at a high level for the best record in the NBA and home court advantage. They were going to have every playoff edge possible! Only to get kicked out in the first round by the Warriors! So this year, in a still unbroken 'chain' to the past, they took the opposite approach that the regular season didn't matter. They did a mental 180... And again they picked the short straw, because this year the race in the West was the closest ever. On top of that they changed their team very late in the season (like the Suns!), which didn't give them the necessary time to gel. Dallas was a team without direction for the entire season.

Is that Avery's fault? I would estimate about 99.8%. The coach is supposed to motivate the team. Avery isn't a very good coach yet. Don't forget that Don Nelson totally out-coached him in last year's playoffs. In the same way I thought that D'Antoni was never really present in the series with the Spurs. How did he not see that Diaw was the thorn in the Spurs side, until Hill's injury forced him to start Diaw? Why did he not fight the Spurs with the Tri Tower offense from the start? Sometimes coaches get too close to their teams to see the bigger picture, like a painter with his nose pressed against the canvas. That usually means it's time for a change.

Both teams need to forget the past. Wipe that slate clean!
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-02-08 at 02:26 AM.

Cannon
    Cannon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Avery to sign a multimillion dollar deal to do voice work for Disney-Pixar cartoon movies. It will be a huge success for him doing voices. Dallas will announce the hiring of Don Nelson again.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Avery to sign a multimillion dollar deal to do voice work for Disney-Pixar cartoon movies.

junkman773
    junkman773's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can not see alot of trades to much money on the table but with Cuban who knows. if he could keep his hands out of it mavs could be ok!!! But that will not happen.

Junk