I have to question is motivative skills in tonights game, because the emotional factor could very well come into effect.

Rivers returns following father's death, will coach Celtics vs. Nuggets

BOSTON -- Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers has rejoined the team after flying to Chicago to be with family following the death of his father.

Rivers said he planned to coach the Celtics in Wednesday night's home game against the Denver Nuggets and Friday's game against the Atlanta Hawks. He then planned to return to Chicago.

Funeral services for Grady Alexander Rivers Sr. are scheduled for Saturday at Second Baptist Church in Mayfield, Ill. The retired Chicago police officer died last weekend at the age of 76.

Doc Rivers said he has chartered a plane to take him to New Jersey, where the Celtics play the Nets on Saturday night. But he said his emotional state after the funeral may determine whether he makes the trip.

"Obviously, it's tough for me," he said. "I have to get through it. It's good to have family around, and the team is great to be around."

Rivers left the Celtics (2-0) before Sunday's 98-95 overtime win in Toronto. Assistant Tom Thibodeau replaced Rivers and came up with the play that got the ball to Ray Allen for the winning 3-pointer with less than 3 seconds to play.