lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

LOL!! Public betting this and Public Betting that

Guys, I just wanted to laugh at this for a minute with you..."The public is on"... I think it's funny we all say that. The public is on the over. The public is on the Lakers. I am guilty myself of saying it everyday I post and just to think how funny it really sounds. There probably ain't 3 guys in this forum that post that have what it takes to be a professional or currently doing this professionally. So, if I am correct with this statement.... That means we are the "betting public" also. Is that right? I mean some of us here have graduated to the level of what I would call intermediate..Which is to say better than the average joe, but not a professional.. That is were i would rank myself, but I still say... "The public is all over the Lakers tonite"

cecbo
    cecbo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Public is always on the Lakers! lol

landers781
    landers781's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

HA! It does sound funny if you step outside the box and think about it. Who is to say those public bettors arent saying the same thing we are?

Skyline
    Skyline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Great....

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

I agree 100% Lyon...

PUBLIC :- people in general considered as a whole

Each and everyone of us are a member of the "public" whether we like it or not. So some of the public will be on the winner and some of the public will be on the loser !

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    I agree 100% Lyon...

PUBLIC :- people in general considered as a whole

Each and everyone of us are a member of the "public" whether we like it or not. So some of the public will be on the winner and some of the public will be on the loser !
    True, but the "betting public" is often associated with being on the wrong side and professionals are something else all to them self, but not considered the "betting public"... Just wiseguys are sharps.

Public bettors are ones that are always playing what looks good rather than wandering why does something look good... Like yesterday for instance... The 'public bettor' was exposed big time yesterday. I don't think the public hit a game yesterday.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

I don't consider "us" to be public bettors.... I mean in the end, we are ALL part of the public, but we are obviosuly referring to games where the majority of folks are on a certain side. An ammature public bettor will look at lines and consensus and think "Wow, 85% of people are on the Lakers to beat MEM by 5, that must be a sure thing!" While us who know better, well, we just know better......

I would consider myself a public bettor if I sided with the majority most of the time, which I don't. I don't consider myself anywhere close to a sharp, or a professional, but I am profiting.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Quote Originally Posted by lyon804 View Post
    True, but the "betting public" is often associated with being on the wrong side and professionals are something else all to them self, but not considered the "betting public"... Just wiseguys are sharps.

Public bettors are ones that are always playing what looks good rather than wandering why does something look good... Like yesterday for instance... The 'public bettor' was exposed big time yesterday. I don't think the public hit a game yesterday.
    I was going to mention this as well, if I were a public bettor I wouldn't have made money on ATL, MIL and WSH last night.... had I went against the public in the CHL game, my only loss would have became a win

ptbalz
    ptbalz's Avatar Become A Pro!

....all this time I thought Public was just some unlucky guy who posted his bets

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadSniper View Post
    I don't consider "us" to be public bettors.... I mean in the end, we are ALL part of the public, but we are obviosuly referring to games where the majority of folks are on a certain side. An ammature public bettor will look at lines and consensus and think "Wow, 85% of people are on the Lakers to beat MEM by 5, that must be a sure thing!" While us who know better, well, we just know better......

I would consider myself a public bettor if I sided with the majority most of the time, which I don't. I don't consider myself anywhere close to a sharp, or a professional, but I am profiting.

True that.. I feel the same way brother, but I am gulity of saying it and it's funny. I too collect far more weeks than I payout, but at the same time I have no illusion I am turning pro anytime soo. I mean if the NBA lasted 12 months I might could consider it because this is by far my most profitable sport. Profitable gambling or professional gambling is a grind to say the least. I truly believe whatever money you make in this business is earned. The only people posting in the forum now are....Minnions, Sharps, or people with just deep pockets because it is getting harder as we move forward becasue most of the lines are getting tighter and tighter.

ZetaPsi808
    July 2011 Poster of the Month
    ZetaPsi808's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1982

always fade the public pal

TGoat
    TGoat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ZetaPsi808 View Post
    always fade the public pal
    I've seen no evidence whatsoever that this is profitable long term. If it were, we'd all be rich.

I'd be willing to bet money that over the last 500 games fading the public or going with the public would land right about 50-50.

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

being able to utilize this information is more a function of line movement respective to how the public is betting. it makes sense that the public would be on the nuggets -3 hosting the nets with no significant injuries- thats because the nuggests are really good and the nets are really bad and that would be a gift line. if millions of dollars started pouring into the nuggets pick and the line stayed where it was or moved to -2.5 then there would be something drastically wrong with that and this could likely prove to be a redflag.

lyon804

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    being able to utilize this information is more a function of line movement respective to how the public is betting. it makes sense that the public would be on the nuggets -3 hosting the nets with no significant injuries- thats because the nuggests are really good and the nets are really bad and that would be a gift line. if millions of dollars started pouring into the nuggets pick and the line stayed where it was or moved to -2.5 then there would be something drastically wrong with that and this could likely prove to be a redflag.

Sharp post.. An excellent example of the type off stuff I look for to make my bigger plays... If you recall prior to the AllStar Break the Spurs +5.5 on the road to Denver and the whole world was betting Nuggets and right before tip they announced Parker was out and the line only went to +6... Well, I already had +5.5 and the ML +200, but decided to add to my posistions because of the lack of line movement in the game.. This was the biggest play of the year for me so far.