Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 432

Clippers Worried Spurs Might Take Crack At Chris Paul

The Clippers view San Antonio as a serious threat to sign Chris Paul this summer, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.com. “Mutual interest” between Paul and the Spurs was suggested earlier this week by ESPN’s Zach Lowe, and L.A. officials see that as a concern despite San Antonio’s lack of cap space. Paul is expected to use an early-termination option and hit the free agent market. He is eligible for a five-year deal worth about $205MM from the Clippers and four years at roughly $152MM from anyone else. The Spurs only have about $10MM in cap room right now, with Dewayne Dedmon ($3MM) and David Lee ($1.6MM) both owning player options.

Derrick Rose is more likely to join the Spurs than Chris Paul is, Kurt Helin of NBC Sports contends. Helin notes that the Spurs will have difficulty carving out max cap room in order to bring Paul to the team.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/san-antonio-spurs

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Spurs era is over.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Paul

Not at his age

Bad signing

DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5742

Like it. Money is stupid all over, just have to limit years which would seem to be impossible.

He "might" sign for less just to get out of Clipperville and have a chance, all be it slim w/ Da Spurs.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

Way too difficult for Spurs to pull off

RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

Would bet against it. Spurs could use a #2 guard but they are strong at #1(parker, mills) and #3 Leonard.

Spurs really need help at #4 and #5. I think you could see them deal or cut Aldridge and Pau. Maybe move up in the draft. But defintely not a max guard.

jjgold

Paul past his prime

It is a young league

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16173

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
    Would bet against it. Spurs could use a #2 guard but they are strong at #1(parker, mills) and #3 Leonard.

Spurs really need help at #4 and #5. I think you could see them deal or cut Aldridge and Pau. Maybe move up in the draft. But defintely not a max guard.
    Wow that is shocking analysis

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    Way too difficult for Spurs to pull off
    I remember when the Spurs were rumored to get Aldridge many articles said it was nearly impossible. They said they'd have to get Duncan and Ginobili to sign minimum contracts, trade Green, trade Splitter, and lose other pieces. All they traded was Splitter and Duncan and Ginobili signed 10m deals. These GM's know how to shed salary.

RoyBacon

Manu made about $10m last year. I hear his house is for sale so doesn't look like he's coming back. If they could land a big man I bet they find the salary space. Neither gasol or aldridge are good enough defensively to guarantee a spot on a Pop team. They won't beat GS without a legit down low presence.

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

tony Parker is the perfect PG for pops scheme... they tried to sign Jason Kidd back in the day and ended up winning a ring before he eventually did.. I wouldn't sign cp3 although I think he's a great player

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16173

Spurs were rumored to be after Conley last summer. Grizzlies overpaid for him and kind of shot themselves out of contention -a win for their rivals. If the Clippers pay Paul & Griffin the max they lose Redick. One less threat for the Spurs. So whether they're interested or not it's good for them to put this rumor out there.

FA George Hill is a Pop favourite, and younger than Paul...

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Doesn't matter.....

Clipshow is best described as a Lakers's knockoff.....

The redheaded ginger of a stepchild.....

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Great move for both parties, cp3 deserves better than blake griffins bitcha$$ in lob city.

Someone said gasol and Aldridge charmin soft on defense but Tony parker isnt? has anyone here ever played basketball before? I mean at least varsity or higher not pickup at the local Y

Pop doesn't care ab defense anymore, this isn't 1999. Take a look at the roster, everyone is terrible on defense except for kawhi. Times have changed, defense isn't paramount to winning anymore. They went out and got aldrisge, gasol and David lee. Arguably the worst defensive bigs in the league

olamide
    olamide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2571

I will like to see this move. CP3 and Kawhi will make western finals competitve at least.

jjgold

Paul a glorified Wade right now that is very injury prone

waste of money

Have to go young to compete

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Paul a glorified Wade right now that is very injury prone

waste of money

Have to go young to compete
    John wall.......

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

CH is not worth the money. Look at dfade with bulls

RoyBacon

Quote Originally Posted by shadymcgrady View Post
    Great move for both parties, cp3 deserves better than blake griffins bitcha$$ in lob city.

Someone said gasol and Aldridge charmin soft on defense but Tony parker isnt? has anyone here ever played basketball before? I mean at least varsity or higher not pickup at the local Y

Pop doesn't care ab defense anymore, this isn't 1999. Take a look at the roster, everyone is terrible on defense except for kawhi. Times have changed, defense isn't paramount to winning anymore. They went out and got aldrisge, gasol and David lee. Arguably the worst defensive bigs in the league
    We will see. Tony is not a great defender but he is a point guard. I think the Spurs were top 3 in defense this past year and have been for a long time. Aldridge and Gasol were once good defenders but that is gone.

Anyone who follows Pop knows that last series vs GS is going to bring changes and mainly defensive and specifically at power forward and center. They have won championships with parker/mills and green in the back court. If Aldridge was still a beast maybe they could cover for Gasol. But at this point I think they are both gone. Neither can move their feet and their vertical jump is negative.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
    We will see. Tony is not a great defender but he is a point guard. I think the Spurs were top 3 in defense this past year and have been for a long time. Aldridge and Gasol were once good defenders but that is gone.

Anyone who follows Pop knows that last series vs GS is going to bring changes and mainly defensive and specifically at power forward and center. They have won championships with parker/mills and green in the back court. If Aldridge was still a beast maybe they could cover for Gasol. But at this point I think they are both gone. Neither can move their feet and their vertical jump is negative.
    Aldridge was NEVER a defensive presence in his entire career in portland. In fact he graded out as the 2nd worst defender one season amongst all power forwards. They brought in Robin Lopez to do all the defensive work BC Aldridge was such a defensive liability.

Tony parker was not an average defender in his career, he was also a terrible defender just like aldridge. A system pg that relied on pace and screens. Never had a lick of emphasis on defense, ever

Gasol was never a good defender but he spent a good part of his career on a low scoring Memphis team that played good defense as a whole. His defense was ridiculed over and over again when he was winning a championship in LA

The spurs won with green and parker in the backcourt bc they relied on timmy and kawhi to power them through with Manu to spell with the 2nd unit

I commend ur efforts at watching the game but there seems to be some core points we disagree on

RoyBacon

I do agree especially on the Tim Duncan point. We agree Parker can't play D and Mills doesn't have any size. My point was I do not see the Spurs shuffling the cap deck to get Paul. One quick point of disagreement is on Parker. I don't see him as a system guy like Green is. He can create his own offense and he is not a cap max guy anyway.

Back to Paul, I don't think they go for a pg or sml forward when they have such a glaring weakness in the front court. I could see them dealing Aldridge to move up a dozen spots in the draft and waiving gasol. Maybe they take a shot at Griffin? If they are stuck with Aldridge and gasol then maybe they look to upgrade the 2 spot to replace Manu. Whatever they do they are going to pay a heavy price for bringing in those two stiffs.

jjgold

THe league not worried at all

GSW not worried

shutupandbet
    shutupandbet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1671

more washed up stars is just exactly what spurs need.. gasol and aldridge flops wasnt convincing enough

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Quote Originally Posted by shutupandbet View Post
    more washed up stars is just exactly what spurs need.. gasol and aldridge flops wasnt convincing enough

jjgold

Bang

Quote Originally Posted by shutupandbet View Post

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Spurs depleting their team is something they won't do. It only happens if Paul ring chases and takes a huge pay cut. Bringing back George Hill is a more likely scenario.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Sounds like it's a bunch of hype. Marc Stein acting like he works for CNN now.

Marc Stein... shut up pal.