Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

It's time to put the whole "jumpshooting teams don't win" thing to rest

It's always been a stupid concept anyway. This is what wins now. About time people realise it. 2011 Mavs and 2014 Spurs were largely jumpshooting teams as well. Even LeBron's Miami teams relied on floor spacing and Battier/Miller/Allen making 3's.

The new thing might be that teams that play 2 bigs don't win, or teams that don't can't score don't win. Memphis, Indiana, Chicago... Even the Spurs only won last year after ditching the big lineup. As did GS this year.

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

It hit me when ABC showed the starting lineup for GSW yesterday. It showed 2 guards and 3 forwards. No center. Maybe that's where we're headed.

Ratzz
    Ratzz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    It's always been a stupid concept anyway. This is what wins now. About time people realise it. 2011 Mavs and 2014 Spurs were largely jumpshooting teams as well. Even LeBron's Miami teams relied on floor spacing and Battier/Miller/Allen making 3's.

The new thing might be that teams that play 2 bigs don't win, or teams that don't can't score don't win. Memphis, Indiana, Chicago... Even the Spurs only won last year after ditching the big lineup. As did GS this year.
    i think very spotty to cite this squad as the model for "new championships"..

jump shooting teams are certainly dangerous, and that is what the Cavs lacked.. but the Cavs have an apt Center,
    and most likely would have defatted the Warriors with Love and Irving present in this series..

that said, what they lacked in this series was just that "the outside shot" of Irving and Love

Pikachu
    Pikachu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4851

People are making it sounds like GSW were so good. They got lucky with all these opponents. Pelicans with injured starting point guard, Grizzlies with injured Conley, Rockets with injured Berveley, Cavs with injured Love and Irving. With the break they got in finals, GSW should sweep the Cavs. GSW's championship should some with a question mark here.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Still stands, typically jump shooting teams don't have the best of defenses, GS had best in league I think, also one of greatest offenses ever on paper I think and were lucky enough to meet a depleted Cavs so no reason to do away with the adage because one anomaly as if its happened before.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu View Post
    People are making it sounds like GSW were so good. They got lucky with all these opponents. Pelicans with injured starting point guard, Grizzlies with injured Conley, Rockets with injured Berveley, Cavs with injured Love and Irving. With the break they got in finals, GSW should sweep the Cavs. GSW's championship should some with a question mark here.
    Just stop. GSW had a historic season statistically. Just about every single champion has had some degree of luck...

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

There's only one Steph Curry. Let's keep in mind the Warriors team we saw in the postseason really did not resemble the team we saw all year long. And that was with missing out on the Spurs and Clippers (the other two best teams in the West).

It's not that jump shooting teams don't win, it's just that it's a lot harder to win in May and June if your offense is reliant on perimeter shooting.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13413

Only elite jump shooting teams can do what they did I don't really see any others like that atm except cavs thunder and GS all 3 are favs for next year + defense wins champions. Pelicans were not injured, Conley only missed a game or 2, Beverley probably would of got eaten up by Curry, Cavs had legit injuries, tough break, that's why they were heavy favorites.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by bryant81 View Post
    It hit me when ABC showed the starting lineup for GSW yesterday. It showed 2 guards and 3 forwards. No center. Maybe that's where we're headed.
    Check out the '78 Bullets championship team. Unseld won MVP as a 6' 7" Center. It's been done before.

Also, Bogut played a big role all year until the Cavs series, when the Iggy lineup was the best matchup.

olamide
    olamide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2571

Irving and Love injured fine, but people should stop talking as if warriors couldn't beat them with those two fit. It's just about adjusting your game and Kerr & the warriors i believe might have raised their game. People talking as if Love and Irving are all that.....
    They would have been better than what the Cavs had on the floor but their defense would have given the warriors easy basket as well.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Still stands, typically jump shooting teams don't have the best of defenses, GS had best in league I think, also one of greatest offenses ever on paper I think and were lucky enough to meet a depleted Cavs so no reason to do away with the adage because one anomaly as if its happened before.
    Quickly climbing up the list of most delusional idiots on this site. Did you not pretty much guarantee Cleveland would win the Finals even without Irving? Now it was due to luck. Yeah sure

"one anomaly"? How about the 2011 Mavs? You could even make a very strong case for the 2014 Spurs as a jumpshooting team.

Seto

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    There's only one Steph Curry. Let's keep in mind the Warriors team we saw in the postseason really did not resemble the team we saw all year long. And that was with missing out on the Spurs and Clippers (the other two best teams in the West).

It's not that jump shooting teams don't win, it's just that it's a lot harder to win in May and June if your offense is reliant on perimeter shooting.
    To me that's mainly a Klay Thompson thing. He was really bad in the playoffs on offense for some reason. Other than that I mean it's the playoffs it's not supposed to be easy.

The Spurs with a healthy Parker could have given them a series for sure. Maybe we'll have a series between those 2 teams next year.