First it was Reggie Miller, and now it's Kevin Willis.

The Dallas Mavericks were scheduled to audition veteran forward Kevin Willis for the first of two workouts Thursday in an attempt to fill a vacant roster spot, according to a published report.

Looking Good
Marc Stein
How did Kevin Willis look in his Thursday audition for the Mavericks? Two observations from Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson: "He looked good." "Body wise, he still looks like he's in his young 30s."

Marc Stein Blog Insider

Mavs coach Avery Johnson told the Dallas Morning News that he has been looking to add another big man to the roster but concedes there is a possibility he won't sign anybody at all.

"Right now, it's kind of the best available person," Johnson told the newspaper. "I'm real leery about adding anybody right now. But if there's something that makes sense, we'll do it. But it's got to really make sense for us."

Willis, 44, won his first NBA championship with the San Antonio Spurs in 2003 where his locker room leadership, energy off the bench, defense, and physical play proved invaluable.

The two-day audition, which will end with Friday's workout, stemmed from a chance meeting between the 7-foot jouneyman and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban during All-Star weekend in Las Vegas.

"Willis"" I ran into Mark at All-Star weekend and had a few words," Willis told the newspaper. "The next thing I know, I get a call from Rolando [Blackman] and it kind of went from there. I started doing some shooting and running just in case I got a call. And here I am.

"They're taking it extremely serious and I'm taking it serious. I don't want to come in and be any kind of distraction. I just want to come in and enhance. Whatever I got to do to enhance it and make it better, I'm here to do that.''

A veteran of 20 NBA seasons, Willis has averaged 12.2 points and 8.4 rebounds per game in his career, and would be the oldest active player in the league if signed.

Willis did not play in 2005-06.
Veteran forward looking to fill vacant roster spot