Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

About damn time

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.COM
    ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan basketball coach Tommy Amaker was fired Saturday following six seasons leading the program without an NCAA tournament appearance.

Tommy Amaker at Michigan
    Tommy Amaker arrived at Michigan in 2001 after four seasons at Seton Hall. He leaves after six seasons and three NIT bids -- but no trips to the NCAA Tournament. His Michigan record at a glance:

Season Record Postseason
    2006-07 22-13 NIT
    2005-06 22-11 NIT finalist
    2004-05 13-18 None
    2003-04 23-11 NIT champ
    2002-03 18-12 Ineligible
    2001-02 11-18 None
    Total 109-83 3 NITs

"I'm not going to make excuses," Amaker said in an interview before he was scheduled to appear at a news conference.

According to ESPN.com's Andy Katz, some of the names up for consideration to replace Amaker include Washington State coach Tony Bennett, Southern Illinois coach Chris Lowery, former Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, UNLV coach Lon Kruger, West Virginia coach John Beilein as well as ESPN analysts Rick Majerus and Steve Lavin.

Katz also reported that Kentucky coach Tubby Smith could be a candidate, if he's available.

Before this season started, Amaker said it was fair to expect the Wolverines to reach the NCAA Tournament. They ended up playing in the NIT for the third time in four years and were eliminated from that tournament two days ago.

Michigan was on probation for the first five years Amaker was coach there. He led the Wolverines to three NITs and Michigan won the NIT in 2004.

Amaker found out he was fired Saturday morning after meeting with athletic director Bill Martin. After that meeting, Amaker held a team meeting.

According to Katz, the general feeling is one of surprise that the decision and announcement came today.

"Letting Tommy go was the toughest decision I've had to make in seven years as athletic director," Martin told The Associated Press. "He took over a program that needed help, and he helped it in a lot of ways. But at Michigan, we have a tradition of winning Big Ten and national championships and we haven't been close to doing either in a lot of ways."

The Wolverines finished 22-13, with an 87-66 loss at Florida State on Thursday night.

"There were moments of delight and success [this season]," Martin said. "But we didn't make the NCAA Tournament and that was the goal. To that extent, it was a disappointment."

Amaker's career record at Michigan was 109-83 overall -- with three 20-win seasons -- and 43-53 in the Big Ten.

He was under contract through the 2010-11 season, but the school could fire him without cause by giving him $900,000, according to his contract, which was obtained last week by the AP in a Freedom of Information Act request.

Amaker had to be employed as Michigan's coach on March 31, 2011, to earn a deferred-compensation package after the school's annual contributions of $100,000. By firing him, the school keeps the invested money, according to the contract.

Michigan hired Amaker on hired March 29, 2001, after firing Brian Ellerbe.

He inherited a mess, stemming from the Ed Martin scandal, the school's lackluster facilities and Ellerbe's awful recruiting.

Martin, a now-deceased former booster, told the federal government he lent $616,000 to ex-Wolverines Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock in what the NCAA said was the largest financial scandal in its history.

Michigan was 18-12 overall and 10-6 during the 2002-03 season -- Amaker's second year -- but the Wolverines were ineligible for the postseason because of NCAA sanctions.

In four seasons at Seton Hall, Amaker led the Pirates to a 68-55 record, a trip to the round of 16 in the 2000 NCAA tournament and three NIT bids.

The native of Falls Church, Va., spent nine years on Mike Krzyzewski's staff at Duke, where he was a four-year starter in the mid-1980s.

Amaker's wife, Dr. Stephanie Pinder-Amaker, is the University of Michigan's associate dean of students.

Martin said he had a list of candidates, but declined to identify any of the coaches.

"Michigan's basketball opening is going to be a highly sought after job," he said. "I want to move as quickly as I can, but some of the coaches we're might be interested in are still coaching in the NCAA Tournament."

ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Alright, now that the worst coach in the country is gone, who's next? Gottfried? Olsen?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4687

Surprised they actually fired him. I agree, its about damn time.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm surprised that Michigan actually gave him this long.

There really isn't a hot coach this year emerging from this years tourney, so it's hard to say who might be the next coach in Ann Arber.

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    There really isn't a hot coach this year emerging from this years tourney, so it's hard to say who might be the next coach in Ann Arber.
    Really? I think Greg Marshall at Winthrop will get a serious look.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Really? I think Greg Marshall at Winthrop will get a serious look.
    If he makes it to the sweet 16 then he would be the only one then IMO Razz.

bigboydan

Besides Marshall who else could there really be though Razz? Honestly, I can't really think of one off hand that would qualify as a "hot coach"

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Michigan would have been better this year if they had gone without a coach at all. They can only improve regardless of who they get.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

As an MSU fan i am bit sorry to see Radio go. Radio helped to restore the integrity of the program and put scUM back on the basketball map

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

As a UM fan, I would like them to go after Reggie Theus. Whoever they do hire, it will surely be an improvement over Amaker. He did a decent job of recruiting, but come game time, he was in way over his head. Of the names mentioned in the article above, I would be thrilled with Lon Kruger. Please, just don't hire Lavin.

Wassymac
    Wassymac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    As a UM fan, I would like them to go after Reggie Theus. Whoever they do hire, it will surely be an improvement over Amaker. He did a decent job of recruiting, but come game time, he was in way over his head. Of the names mentioned in the article above, I would be thrilled with Lon Kruger. Please, just don't hire Lavin.
    Alright I stand corrected on my previous statement because if they hire Lavin then they could get worse.

Razz

Chris Lowery would be a good hire. SIU basically plays miniature Big 10 basketball in the MVC anyway, so I think the adjustment would be natural.

I could see Lon Kruger being a good fit as well, and now that his son is done at UNLV, he may be open to leaving.

Theus is an interesting name to mention. I have a feeling he will turn around any program he goes to.

Anthony Grant at VCU will get a job at a major school in the next couple years, but it's probably a little early to mention him.

I don't see Beilein going anywhere, frankly. Tubby Smith won't be available, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he will.

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I think Reggie Theus would be a great hire....I actually like Steve Lavin and find him to be a tremendous basketball analyst and broadcaster.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Kruger's son only played this year there. So why leave just because your son played one year there? Dont make sense to me.

I think Reggie Theus takes the New Mexico job.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

my vote for the coach with the worst teeth is the SJSU coach!...I watched the SJSU vs. Duke game earlier this year and I had to turn away from the TV when they were interviewing him!...

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    Kruger's son only played this year there. So why leave just because your son played one year there? Dont make sense to me.
    That's not why he would leave, it's just not a reason he wouldn't leave like it would have been before this season.

Quote Originally Posted by onlòóker View Post
    I think Reggie Theus takes the New Mexico job.
    Are you joking?

bigboydan

Chris Lowery would be a good hire. SIU basically plays miniature Big 10 basketball in the MVC anyway, so I think the adjustment would be natural.
    I've heard 4 interviews with this guy in the past month, and he seems to be committed to SIU. He keep giving that alma mater speech, he wants to build that program to national status.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Are you joking?
    I dont think so. Why?

Razz

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I've heard 4 interviews with this guy in the past month, and he seems to be committed to SIU. He keep giving that alma mater speech, he wants to build that program to national status.
    Yeah, but we all know college coaches aren't the most honest group of people in the world.

bside
    bside's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah, but we all know college coaches aren't the most honest group of people in the world.
    Sure they are just ask Xavier fans...

bigboydan

I agree with that statement 99.9% of the time Razz. However, this might be the only acception to the rule.

Didn't he just sign a contract extension just recently too?

bigboydan

Razz,

I just heard an interview with Chris Lowery today. He was quoted as saying that he wants $600,000 a year like Gonzaga's Mark Phew. I also heard another interview with SIU's AD today, and he said there trying to put together a new contract to keep Lowery to stay.