MarlinsFan2212
    MarlinsFan2212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Keep Brandon Roy in Portland

Probably less than 1% of the posters on this forum are Blazer fans, but the issue of amnestying Brandon Roy is almost angering me. Listen I know using the clause on Roy gets Portland under the tax completely, and greatly chops down the tax bill, but it makes no sense to me how the franchise can turn their back on the one who resurrected it.
    Its not like its a hotspot for Free Agents, and its not like the Blazers will have copious amounts of money to throw at players. There will be no Dwight Howard, CP3, or Deron Williams coming to Portland, so I dont understand why amnestying Roy is considered by some a "Done Deal". Is it so we can pick up Carl Landry? Big Baby? Chuck Hayes?
    Brandon Roy at 50-75% is better than any player Portland will sign. Hes always played at his own pace, and will still be able to score. He single handedly brought Portland back to relevancy and moved them out of the "Jail Blazers" era. Roy did countless community appearances to reshape the image of the Blazers, is a stand-up guy, and is really the epitome of how NBA athletes should carry themselves.
    I think it would be an all-time terrible decision, if they didnt give him atleast the 66 game season. As aforementioned, they will not sign any FA who will improve them more than an injured Roy would, and we all know Paul Allen has the money. #InRoyWeTrust

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

It's a business. That is all.

Love the city of Portland though. Great food, great people.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

I'm don't know all the details of this situation, but you don't want Portland to cut all of that salary? Couldn't they sign a better player/more quality players for that kind of money????

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    I'm don't know all the details of this situation, but you don't want Portland to cut all of that salary? Couldn't they sign a better player/more quality players for that kind of money????
    Cutting Roy gets us under the luxury tax, and provides us greater long-term flexibility. However we would still be over the Cap. Along with Boston were the only 2 teams w/ 4 Players who make 10 Million I believe.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by MarlinsFan2212 View Post
    Cutting Roy gets us under the luxury tax, and provides us greater long-term flexibility. However we would still be over the Cap. Along with Boston were the only 2 teams w/ 4 Players who make 10 Million I believe.
    So what do you think? Do you want them to cut him or keep him?

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    So what do you think? Do you want them to cut him or keep him?
    I think they should atleast keep him for the upcoming 66 game season. There is a 0% chance any Free Agents improve their team this season. Roy is a warrior. Even though hes injured, he'll play his heart out. Defensively could become a liability, however, I think hes one of those guys who will always be able to score.
    His friends Jamal Crawford and Isiah Thomas say he looks great, but obviously they arent 100% credible.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think they should atleast keep him for the upcoming 66 game season. There is a 0% chance any Free Agents improve their team this season. Roy is a warrior. Even though hes injured, he'll play his heart out. Defensively could become a liability, however, I think hes one of those guys who will always be able to score. His friends Jamal Crawford and Isiah Thomas say he looks great, but obviously they arent 100% credible.
    you must be talking about the old NBA if you're talking about guys actually busting their ass. Roy is heartless and lazy. are we watching the same Blazer games?

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not a blazers fan but would be the nice thing to do if they kept him, unfortunately NBA is cut throat business. Would he have any interest in coming back for cheap if they amnestied him? That show he put on against Dallas was incredible. Get goosebumps still watching the replays and like I said I'm not even a blazers fan

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Roy has done huge things in Portland but ultimately as we have seen in the lockout this is a business and Roy is a bad investment for the Blazers on his salary.

Ernie Mccracken
    Ernie Mccracken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4304

Not a blazer fan. It's a business and the criticisms of his contract are fair, but this was the single greatest performance I've ever seen when you consider the circumstances. I hope he finds a miracle treatment and plays 10 more years.

This is what pure heart looks like.

TheIntegrityKid
    TheIntegrityKid's Avatar Become A Pro!

He's always been one of my faves but a team has to do what they gotta do.

I've heard Roy may retire if bought out, but if he can still play, I'd like to see him join a team with a really good chance to win it all.

Portland will prob take a step back this year

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!

wouldnt mind seeing him at the Bulls if he can accept his role

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Brandon Roy of old was huge for Portland. I remember those huge 3's against Houston a few seasons back. Whats Roy like now with those knees and coming back so early after surgery was dumb.

kobstopa
    kobstopa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3520

if portland cut him, it's not a bad thing, he'll be picked up by many other contenders. portland themselves should a better team & more focus on winning; they are still deep in every position

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

It would be good to get rid of him. There is too much pressure in Portland to play him when he really hasn't shown he deserves any playing time. It sucks, because I love Roy, but when you look at the roster how does he fit into it? I just don't see it. This team should be running when you have Aldridge, Wallace, and Batum. Those 3 are crazy raw in transition. And adding Felton into the mix this team should get many many easy dunks. Roy just slows down this team. Aldridge is the star.
    In the halfcourt you got to give it to Aldridge and Oden (Hopefully!) a ton and can run some off ball/spot up 3 stuff with Batum and Matthews and run pick and rolls with Wallace or Felton and Aldridge. This team could be very good if they got an 8 point/6 boards a game forward to back up Lamarcus.
    The Roy iso sets just doesn't seem to make much sense with this lineup. You could try the whole Roy leads the second team like portions of last year, but it just didn't seem to work.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Probably less than 1% of the posters on this forum are Blazer fans, but the issue of amnestying Brandon Roy is almost angering me. Listen I know using the clause on Roy gets Portland under the tax completely, and greatly chops down the tax bill, but it makes no sense to me how the franchise can turn their back on the one who resurrected it. Its not like its a hotspot for Free Agents, and its not like the Blazers will have copious amounts of money to throw at players. There will be no Dwight Howard, CP3, or Deron Williams coming to Portland, so I dont understand why amnestying Roy is considered by some a "Done Deal". Is it so we can pick up Carl Landry? Big Baby? Chuck Hayes? Brandon Roy at 50-75% is better than any player Portland will sign. Hes always played at his own pace, and will still be able to score. He single handedly brought Portland back to relevancy and moved them out of the "Jail Blazers" era. Roy did countless community appearances to reshape the image of the Blazers, is a stand-up guy, and is really the epitome of how NBA athletes should carry themselves. I think it would be an all-time terrible decision, if they didnt give him atleast the 66 game season. As aforementioned, they will not sign any FA who will improve them more than an injured Roy would, and we all know Paul Allen has the money.
    I like Brandon Roy, but I think you're off base here. Look at the transition that's already occurred on this team with the signing of Gerald Wallace, the acquisition of Raymond Felton, the departure of Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez, the emergence of Lamarcus Aldridge as a star, and the continued improvement of Nic Batum and Wesley Matthews. The team has transitioned into a younger and more durable roster that wants to score on the fast break. Roy is a halfcourt player that's less suited to the style of play of the emerging Blazers team. The uncertainty surrounding his knees is secondary to this, and his character is not even being contested.

As for free agents, no ever said anything about CP3 or Dwight Howard. It's foolish to throw those names out there as a supporting argument for your case for Roy. But Landry/Hayes/Davis are an entirely different story. What Portland needs more than anything is one more big body that can play F/C with energy. Portland is weakest at the Centre position because Camby can't really play 35 minutes a night and be expected to last the whole year while being effective. Moving Aldridge over to the C part time is not optimal either. However any of those three potential signings playing ~25 minutes a game between C & F makes Portland so much deeper and tougher in the interior, and especially this season with the B2B2B sets of games and generally tighter schedules, depth is going to be the key difference between teams that win and teams that fade.

So I think you're arguing based on the value you see in Roy as a player and not from the perspective of what components the Blazers are missing right now. Living in Vancouver, the Blazers are the closest team to me and I end up watching a lot of their games because they're on late so I feel like I have a good read on them. I would much rather see them make the tough trade and complete their transformation into their new persona. Teams that go half way on roster moves end up with an identity crisis and those teams never win anything...

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    I like Brandon Roy, but I think you're off base here. Look at the transition that's already occurred on this team with the signing of Gerald Wallace, the acquisition of Raymond Felton, the departure of Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez, the emergence of Lamarcus Aldridge as a star, and the continued improvement of Nic Batum and Wesley Matthews. The team has transitioned into a younger and more durable roster that wants to score on the fast break. Roy is a halfcourt player that's less suited to the style of play of the emerging Blazers team. The uncertainty surrounding his knees is secondary to this, and his character is not even being contested. As for free agents, no ever said anything about CP3 or Dwight Howard. It's foolish to throw those names out there as a supporting argument for your case for Roy. But Landry/Hayes/Davis are an entirely different story. What Portland needs more than anything is one more big body that can play F/C with energy. Portland is weakest at the Centre position because Camby can't really play 35 minutes a night and be expected to last the whole year while being effective. Moving Aldridge over to the C part time is not optimal either. However any of those three potential signings playing ~25 minutes a game between C & F makes Portland so much deeper and tougher in the interior, and especially this season with the B2B2B sets of games and generally tighter schedules, depth is going to be the key difference between teams that win and teams that fade. So I think you're arguing based on the value you see in Roy as a player and not from the perspective of what components the Blazers are missing right now. Living in Vancouver, the Blazers are the closest team to me and I end up watching a lot of their games because they're on late so I feel like I have a good read on them. I would much rather see them make the tough trade and complete their transformation into their new persona. Teams that go half way on roster moves end up with an identity crisis and those teams never win anything...
    So you would sacrifice Roy to sign Landry/Baby/Hayes etc? When we could just pick up Pryzbilla and Pendergraph for essentially minimum contracts?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I still think he is tough to stop, probably more of a role player but would be one of best role players in league

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    wouldnt mind seeing him at the Bulls if he can accept his role
    Essentially, if B Roy is amnestied, it will almost be like a modified wavier process. Teams with the most room under the cap bid first. However much is bid to get B Roy will be reimbursed to the team. So if I had to wager, I would give the Bulls < 5% of getting Roy. I would guess he'll play for Golden State or Minnesota if he is Amnestied.

My argument for keeping him is simply that his small % of recovering/altering his game to be effective > any FAs we will sign.

MarlinsFan2212

You guys tell me which team is better:

Team 1:
    PG: Felton/Smith/Mills(maybe)
    SG: Roy/Matthews
    SF:Wallace/Batum/Babbitt
    PF: Aldridge/Pendergraph
    C: Oden(January)/Camby/Pryzbilla

OR

Team 2
    PG Felton/Smith/Mills
    SG Matthews/Batum
    SF Wallace/Babbitt
    PF Aldridge/Landry
    C Camby/Oden

I think Team 1 wins every time.
    #KeepRoy

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

I really don't think there should be NBA fans. They're all overpaid, lazy thugs that don't a give shytt about the fans or the game. Plus the game is boring and a waste unless it's playoff time.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Roy is one of my favorite people in the NBA

Class act

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Portland needs to start from square one, their team will never be more than mediocre with their current squad.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

According to the reports on his injuries, he's got no knees left. It's bone on bone. If they use that clause he still gets paid right? He might be a single guy and hoops is all that matters to him right now but it's probably best if he doesnt play. Someday he's going to have arthritis and be in a motor chair.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

So you would sacrifice Roy to sign Landry/Baby/Hayes etc? When we could just pick up Pryzbilla and Pendergraph for essentially minimum contracts?
    Pryzbilla is not worth even a minimum contract... Pendergraph I don't really have much of an opinion about. And Greg Oden appearing in your depth charts is overly optimistic, IMO. Another guy with knee issues that's been heralded as someone that will make a big impact "once he gets healthy". I'll believe it when I see it. Patty Mills is on contract in China until March.

Stop making Brandon Roy a martyr... You make it sound like his career is over unless Portland saves him, and that's not the case. Brandon Roy is a great guy and has the ability to still contribute in the NBA, but his albatross contract and uncertainty about his durability make him worth less to the Blazers now than he was in previous seasons. Your lack of objectivity on this issue is apparent.

I really hope Portland goes out and gets Carl Landry or Glen Davis because it would address the needs of the current team.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

it make total sense to amnesty him.

the problem is that anmesty is a one time only thing, right now. They will not amnesty him becasue he's make 15 mil this year, but because he will be make 18 million in 3 years.

cutting him now will give them the chance to acquire players not this year, but next year (when they have 20 million more of felton/camby coming off) or the year after (with another 10 million a Gerald Wallace coming off)
    Points Awarded:

suicidekings gave gryfyn1 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bill Dozer gave gryfyn1 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    it make total sense to amnesty him. the problem is that anmesty is a one time only thing, right now. They will not amnesty him becasue he's make 15 mil this year, but because he will be make 18 million in 3 years. cutting him now will give them the chance to acquire players not this year, but next year (when they have 20 million more of felton/camby coming off) or the year after (with another 10 million a Gerald Wallace coming off)
    Looks like Roy is staying in PDX based on what was said today.
    Nonetheless, your argument in saving cap is fine, but you need to realize Portland is not pulling any elite FAs, or atleast FAs that will be more impactful than a 70% Brandon Roy.
    Lets say they have money to spend the year Roy makes 18 million:
    Heres a list of the notable FAs for that year:

Steve Blake- No Impact
    Luke Ridnour- Downgrade
    D Wade- Wont sign
    Kobe- Wont sign
    Thabo Sefolosha- Downgrade from a 70% B Roy, not better than Matthews
    Josh Childress- Downgrade
    Lebron- Wont sign
    Carmelo- Wont sign
    Granger- Cant see him leaving Pacers. SF anyway. Upgrade over Wallace?
    Deng- Blazers love Deng. Solid player, not AllStar caliber.
    Pierce- Too old
    Mike Miller- Probably will be amnestied, and go to a low bidder.
    Bosh- Wont sign
    Dirk- Wont sign
    Gasol- Wont sign
    Amare-Wont sign
    Randolph- Former Blazer, we wont sign him
    Bargnani- If Odens not healthy, hes a possiblity I guess.
    Bogut- Injury Prone. Dominant center. Milwaukee probably wouldnt dump him without reason
    Gortat- Solid starter, elite backup

So just from the list I compiled, the Blazers are essentially going to dump cap to pick up mediocre players . Reports are Roy looks very very good, and I say stick with the team you have.

They played the champs tough last year, and Feltons ability to space the floor, and defense should tremendously help. Im obviously a homer, and Roy is essentially a God to me, but I am of the mindset he will be a very impactful player still

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    According to the reports on his injuries, he's got no knees left. It's bone on bone. If they use that clause he still gets paid right? He might be a single guy and hoops is all that matters to him right now but it's probably best if he doesnt play. Someday he's going to have arthritis and be in a motor chair.
    Long time Blazer fan...ptown use to be my stomping ground and Bill Dozer nails it on the head. You guys remember last NBA season, right? BROY's knees kept him on the sideline. The Blazers need to do what's right for the team and its future and unfortunately, that means BROY, one of the classier players in the league, has seen his last days in the Rosegarden.

MarlinsFan2212

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Long time Blazer fan...ptown use to be my stomping ground and Bill Dozer nails it on the head. You guys remember last NBA season, right? BROY's knees kept him on the sideline. The Blazers need to do what's right for the team and its future and unfortunately, that means BROY, one of the classier players in the league, has seen his last days in the Rosegarden.

Kobe, bone on bone, Chris Paul, Bone on Bone, Amare, bone on bone. But they all manage to play with the same injury. Granted theres 2 sides to every story. For every Kobe, Cp3 and Amare, theres a Mashburn, Houston and McGrady.

The people who've workout with Roy in the Offseason say he looks great. I mean after his first knee surgery he came back to play in 8 days(PHX series). After his 2nd, he came back in 2 months. Both very very short periods of time. Curious to see how he is after an appropriate healing time.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Putting Mathews in the same sentence as Brandon Roy is a complete joke. Brandon Roy could play 10 less minutes than anyone on Portland's whole team and he'll put up better stats then anyone save Aldrich.

The way this organization is handling their lineups is the reason why they may not win a championship this year, even though i believe they are easily the most talented team in the entire western conference.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

BRoy is my favorite player, went to the same high school as him, watched a ton of his games at Washington. He's a great guy, and he would have been one of the best SG's the NBA had ever seen if he stayed healthy. I remember a few years ago when Kobe said that Brandon Roy was the hardest guy for him to guard in the NBA. But lets be honest, the NBA is a business. I know Paul Allen is really close to BRoy, but the Blazers won't hesitate to cut him to free up that money. I want to say he is earning like 15 or 16 million a year.

mh217
    mh217's Avatar Become A Pro!

not sure what you guys were watching but his knees were so bad last year he couldnt guard anyone..no lateral movement..doesnt really matter if you can score if you are a defensive liability thats just gonna give the points right back.

Speedy88
    Speedy88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1636

Quote Originally Posted by mh217 View Post
    not sure what you guys were watching but his knees were so bad last year he couldnt guard anyone..no lateral movement..doesnt really matter if you can score if you are a defensive liability thats just gonna give the points right back.
    Agreed with this guy. His knees are gone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Roy got both of his knees scoped out. Meaning I don't think he has any cartilage in his knees. Last year he looked slow and in pain. Roy's career as an NBA player are pretty much over. Sad but true.

I think it was playoffs of 08-09 when Roy was not suppose to play in the playoffs, and the Blazers brought him in for the playoff series just 2 weeks after major knee surgery. I don't know why they rushed him back, it was not like they were going to go far in the playoffs anyways. I think they lost to the Suns in 5 or 6 that year.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

They said they are not going to amnesty him.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Been watching the Blazers for about 30 years. Live bout 20 minutes from Portland and i don't like this move at all. Don't get me wrong i went to the University of Washington i'm a huge Roy fan. But once those knees are shot especially in the game of basketball you are pretty much done. Blazers trying to keep Roy and Oden make no sense. This team needs to rebuild around LaMarcus Aldridge. Roy is being paid like a all star and will never be one again. The guy even complained about minutes and shots in the mavs series. He does have a pretty big ego and now wants to start again. But he can't even play back to back games i don't think with those knees. I think it was the right time to cut ties with the guy. I think to many Blazer fans just seem to fall in love with nice guys and all that crap forget the most important thing as far as me as a fan i want to see wins. This team hasn't got out of the first round and uh i forget how many years. Roy and Oden combo isn't going to make it happen. They will spend more time at the end of the bench in street clothes then on the court.

12 Last