kmoney
    kmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 112

Quote Originally Posted by Double Bogey View Post
    Apparently a fraction of what he's getting now. There is an open market on basketball. Pro ball all over Europe. Honestly these players can stick it, if they think they deserve more, go play there and see what their value is. Everyone is replaceable. Someone will always fill a need. It's the way the world works.
    nope were talking about if there was an open market in the nba (no union)

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Just happy the interenet is around because I can watch Mullin clips over and over to get my hoops fix. If Mullin was still playing in NBA, I would be borderline suicidal right now.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by kmoney View Post
    they aren't replaceable.
    Sure they are.

The league is made up of what? 400 of the so called best?
    Get the next best 400, replace them with those players, see how fast they warm up to the 50 50 split.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    . If Mullin was still playing in NBA, I would be borderline suicidal right now.

Went to school with him.

gafl
    gafl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 706

Used to catch alot of games at Alumni Hall. Big East just getting started. Mullin, Russell, Berry Jackson. Redmen had a great run as one of the best during that time.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: zam77

stevenash

Mullin was the consummate gym rat, nice guy, grades were OK.
    Loved his beer too much.

Walter Berry was a dick though.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Went to school with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Mullin was the consummate gym rat, nice guy, grades were OK. Loved his beer too much. Walter Berry was a dick though.
    Props to you for getting to be a part of the Redmen, Carnesecca, Mullin Era. I was fortunate enough to have met him on a personal level late in his NBA career... guy was a class act... and more power to him for overcoming his demons and becoming an HOFer.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Will be interesting to see if they come back soon
    Do players give in??

Owners dont give a fuk

soxwin
    soxwin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7162

This happens in every sport. No big deal. As gamblers we just move on to the next sport. Less to focus on. Always better to focus on one sport than 2 hoops sports anyway. I bet on 2 sports NCAA hoops from November to April and MLB from April till end of October. Works out nicely.

NBA has themselves to blame for the players getting to big for their britches. It all changed with Larry, Magic, and MJ. It was the best time for the league but the focus changed from the name on the front of the jersey to the name on the back of the jersey. That led to what we have now.

Bannit16
    Bannit16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

This is why i hate just being a fan. Fans pay all the bills and they whine over who gets it. NFL just got done crying about theirs.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    I live in an NBA city and I could care less if the league folded. The NBA used to be good, but shitty since around 2000 and later. Play, fold, who cares. People were going crazy when the NFL was on strike, but hardly anyone gives a crap about the NBA.
    This is ridiculous. While the numbers were up during Jordan's latter years, the NBA is way better today than it ever has been in the past. Jordan admitted himself the competition level during his years is no where near what it is today.

If you don't know how much deeper, more competitive, superstar-driven the league is today, you no nothing of basketball. Go back and watch the teams Jordan beat in the finals.

Thanks.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7738

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    This is ridiculous. While the numbers were up during Jordan's latter years, the NBA is way better today than it ever has been in the past. Jordan admitted himself the competition level during his years is no where near what it is today.

If you don't know how much deeper, more competitive, superstar-driven the league is today, you no nothing of basketball. Go back and watch the teams Jordan beat in the finals.

Thanks.

The Jazz were a very good team.

dfberger23
    dfberger23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 406

This is tragic, league was really bouncing back, this is really bad. Shows what America is into though. People were freaking out during NFL lock out, ESPN had headlines for it every day. Not at all the case with the NBA lock out.

Goat Milk

1. NBA numbers have hit records these past couple seasons. They are almost what they were during Jordan days.

2. NBA have the best athletes in the world and its not even close. Literally, not even close. When was the last time you saw a 6'9 260 pound all muscle with a 40 inch vertical in the NFL who can run a 4.4 or less or any other sports? Um....yeah there's dozens of those guys in the NBA....
    Last edited by Goat Milk; 10-12-11 at 04:56 PM.

Goat Milk

Do you remember who guarded Jordan on the Jazz Laker? Bryan Russel and Jeff Hornesack.

There was no such thing as a perimeter defender who could stop Jordan during his years. He played with one of the few good ones in Pippen, and when he was guarded by guys like the Glove and Dumars, the damage was minimized and those guys were small too.

Even when he played bad teams like Cleveland (who managed to get to a conference finals when their best player was Larry Nance), Jordan was guarded by some white boys. A white guy is going to guard Jordan?

White guys don't get that chance against the Kobe Lebrons and Wades.

Jordan himself admitted the league is on another level. He wished he could play with superstars on his level.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Goat you are so brain-washed with this "best athletes in the world" shit. Basketball isn't just about athleticism. In previous decades, teams had players were defined roles and certain skills and they were utilized. On top of that, players used to be much smarter. Seriously, name me some great players in the league right now that you would consider "smart."

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

1. NBA numbers have hit records these past couple seasons. They are almost what they were during Jordan days.
    Are you talking attendance or TV ratings?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Athleticism is at an all-time high in the NBA. This goes without saying.

Fundamentals are sorely lacking. That's what made the NBA of the Magic/Bird/MJ era great -- a perfect mix of great athletes and fundamental basketball. The raw talent may be better, but the way the game is played isn't (and no, I'm not talking going back to the days of peach baskets and granny jump shots).

lakerboy

Do you remember who guarded Jordan on the Jazz Laker? Bryan Russel and Jeff Hornesack.

There was no such thing as a perimeter defender who could stop Jordan during his years. He played with one of the few good ones in Pippen, and when he was guarded by guys like the Glove and Dumars, the damage was minimized and those guys were small too.

Even when he played bad teams like Cleveland (who managed to get to a conference finals when their best player was Larry Nance), Jordan was guarded by some white boys. A white guy is going to guard Jordan?

Jordan himself admitted the league is on another level. He wished he could play with superstars on his level.

John Stockton was one of the best players off all times and so was Karl Malone. Im not gonna argue with you about the athletic part- that is also new methods with advanced knowledge and technology. I enjoyed the NBA in those days It was good tv. These days it is all bullshit.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    John Stockton was one of the best players off all times and so was Karl Malone. Im not gonna argue with you about the athletic part- that is also new methods with advanced knowledge and technology. I enjoyed the NBA in those days It was good tv. These days it is all bullshit.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I can still sit down and watch typical game from the mid- to late-80's on ESPN Classic. It's the way basketball was meant to be played with the kind of athleticism that really advanced the game.

A lot of style and no substance today. Of course there are exceptions, but as a whole, the league has suffered accordingly because of the dropoff. I don't know where Goat's getting that the game is as popular as ever -- I'd love to see what he means by that and what proof he has.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Even no name players like Demar Derozan, Tyreke Evans, and Evan Turner would have dominated in the 80's. It was too easy for Jordan.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Goat you are so brain-washed with this "best athletes in the world" shit. Basketball isn't just about athleticism. In previous decades, teams had players were defined roles and certain skills and they were utilized. On top of that, players used to be much smarter. Seriously, name me some great players in the league right now that you would consider "smart."
    Kobe Bryant has the highest basketball IQ i've ever seen from a basketball player outside of Isaha Thomas.

I would say Steve Nash is very smart and so are guys like Jason Kidd, Dirk, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Battier?

Come on bro...

makaveli66
    makaveli66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Fu*k the NBA at this point. I'm done with the assholes.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    Even no name players like Demar Derozan, Tyreke Evans, and Evan Turner would have dominated in the 80's. It was too easy for Jordan.
    Dominated from an athletic standpoint? Absolutely. Beyond that, I would disagree. Basketball IQ is lacking; I think guys like Malone, Barkley, Stockton etc. would school cats from today's game with their on-court intelligence.

t-wizzle

Kobe Bryant has the highest basketball IQ i've ever seen from a basketball player outside of Isaha Thomas.

I would say Steve Nash is very smart and so are guys like Jason Kidd, Dirk, Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Battier?

Come on bro...
    Grant Hill was a 90s player Goat. I said great players - that doesn't include Battier. Do you realize that you just named me 7 guys who are all well into their 30s?

Kobe is smart but he is one of the most stubborn players of all-time.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Come on bro...
    Like I said, there are obvious exceptions. As a whole, though, I don't see how you can argue the product you see on the court is better now vs. then.

lakerboy

Come on bro...

How many of those guys you just mentioned played in the Jordan era?

Goat Milk

Stockton and Steve Nash are the same player. NBA was great then. I have no complaints about it. Games were just as thrilling to me. I'm just saying that the teams were not balanced. All the great players were on 2 teams.

A team with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman? Not fair at all. Not enough competition = way too much praise for Jordan. People need to get off his sack

Goat Milk

I guess quite a few Laker/Twizzle. The IQ was definitely higher during those years and there were some elements that you don't see today--better and worse. If you think the league was better back then well that's your opinion.

Jordan just never played against competitors who were on his level.

lakerboy

I guess quite a few Laker/Twizzle. The IQ was definitely higher during those years and there were some elements that you don't see today. If you think the league was better back then well that's your opinion.

Jordan just never played against competitors who were on his level

There hasn't and never will be a player on Jordans level.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Jordan just never played against competitors who were on his level
    Directly, no. But he had to deal with the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, etc. -- they may not have had a guy who played the same position that could bottle him up, but the level of competition he had to get the Bulls through to win those first three titles was no joke.

makaveli66
    makaveli66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Directly, no. But he had to deal with the Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, etc. -- they may not have had a guy who played the same position that could bottle him up, but the level of competition he had to get the Bulls through to win those first three titles was unprecedented in NBA history.
    I agree with this, man.

Goat Milk

There hasn't and never will be a player on Jordans level.
    I think Jordan and Bryant both in their primes would go at it. Jordan might be better but they would defnitely go at it, don't you think?

t-wizzle

Let's get to the number one issue here:

The league needs to contract. The product is so watered down it's not even funny. Goat, you can go on and on all you want about how good the players are now. The truth is that the players suck and there's too many really bad teams. Obviously the nba will never contract but it's the only way to offer a better product.

First 123456 Last