bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Jordan becomes part-owner of Bobcats

he screwed up the wizards franchise already. i can only imagine how big of a set back he will put the Bobcats at.

Jordan becomes part-owner of Bobcats, named manager of
    ops

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan became part-owner of the Charlotte Bobcats on Thursday in a deal that gives him a stake in most of majority partner Robert Johnson's ventures.

Jordan's investment makes him second only to Johnson as the largest individual owner of the Bobcats.

Johnson, who spent $300 million on the expansion Bobcats in 2002, said Jordan will be the managing member of basketball operations.

"I'm thrilled to have my friend, Michael Jordan, join me in my business and sports pursuits," Johnson said in a statement. "I not only respect Michael for his basketball knowledge and expertise, but also for his business skills, particularly in branding and marketing.

"Michael will provide invaluable management input to a Bobcats team that is poised to deliver results for the 2006-2007 season and beyond."

M.J. wanted his own team, but settles for the No. 2 ownership of the Bobcats. (Getty Images)
    Jordan, who led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships and won five MVP awards, bought into Johnson's existing portfolio. The founder of BET has financial interests in several media, entertainment and financial services, and became the first black owner in the NBA when he beat out a Larry Bird-backed group for Charlotte's new team.

He tried from the get-go to bring Jordan into the fold, offering him any position he wanted with the team -- except majority owner. Jordan eventually passed, citing his desire to pursue ownership in his own team.

Now, with Johnson in the midst of a major management shake-up on his fledgling team, he's bringing in the greatest NBA player ever to help.

"I'm excited to join Bob, and invest alongside one of the most astute businessmen I know," Jordan said. "I am also looking forward to providing my advice, where needed, to Bobcats management in order to put the best possible team on the court."

The move comes two weeks after Johnson began a house-cleaning project that ousted team president and CEO Ed Tapscott, followed by the firings of the top marketing and operations officers.

Johnson gave no reason for the removals, but was believed to be unhappy with the business-side of the franchise because he was losing money and had a very small season-ticket base.

With Jordan now in the mix, he'll have one of the most beloved sports figure in state history by his side. But in giving Jordan the final say in basketball decisions, he's risking a repeat of the same mistakes Jordan made with the Washington Wizards from 2000 to 2003.

Jordan became part owner and president of the Wizards' basketball operations in 2000, and was criticized for selecting high schooler Kwame Brown with Washington's first overall pick in the 2001 draft.

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

What's Jordan's percentage of ownership and did he have to go into his own pocket? I think the Bobcats just gave Michael 1 or 2 points gratis in exchange for his name.

bigboydan

i haven't heard yet on what type of % he owns in the team.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Just being partial owner is gonna sell more sets...great move.

bigboydan

well, you right about that ILL. the bad part is jordan can't run a team. oh wait... i take that back. he can run a team into the ground