biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Why is no one blaming Memphis Coach for loss last night?

Guys I have to say a big goat in last nights Memphis loss has to be Lionel Hollins. No one has mentioned this but he made two HUGE blunders which no one realized even.

Down 1 in first OT after Conley took shot everyone after game was ripping him for (he was wide freaking open, why shouldnt have taken that 3?) the thunder got the rebound and called TO.

Now here is where Hollins stupidity cost them the game

• 1 The Griz have a foul to give and with under 24 seconds must put thunder on foul line. Instead of subbing out Conley and Mayo who each have 5 fouls for some other guards like Tony Allen and Vazquez he leaves them in. On first foul to give, Conley gets his 6th foul
    • 2 on second foul to send westbrook to line he left Mayo in and he too got 6th foul when he should never have been on court

I dont understand how he could have left these guys in to foul knowing they have 5 fouls. They were calling a TO after the free throws anyway, someone explain to me why they were in? Without Mayo and Conley the Griz looked broken down in the second and 3rd OT's.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

I agree.... not sure wtf was going on there... I can understand wanting to utilize your best players in OT, but as you have poitned out there wasn't much reason for those 2 particular fellas to be out there at the time.

Vasquez 3 was a goddamn miracle-fluke

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

having conley and mayo foul when they brought them back with big shots was really stupid. They would have won the game in OT if those 2 were playing.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

I shut it off when it was going to first overtime, because I was kind of sickened to see Hollins put in OJ Mayo.

Conley just took a 3 pter, missed it and of course had to foul, but they weren't in the bonus yet.

So what does Hollins do? He puts in Oj Mayo, in a FOULING SITUATION, you know he has 5 fouls and you know your team has to foul. Why not bring in some scrub, that most likely has the ability to follow some guy around and foul him as soon as they get the ball in?
    Did Hollins not understand that he could save Mayo and bring him in during the FT's that OKC was about to shoot?

That just made me sick watching that, then getting lucky with that fukk from Maryland getting lucky on that 3 pter. Hollins is about as solid as Mike Brown.

fukkin idiots.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

It's called putting himself on a GREAT spot and making boat load of money on +2 bet.. **cough**

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

By that same token, the Thunder had the opportunity to foul before the shot twice with a 3 point lead at the end of regulation and the end of OT1. The Grizz hit the 3pt shots to extend. Both fouling situations as well but OKC didn't do it.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You need to coach an NBA team wearing a suit from the sideline and see it ain't easy like when you do it from your couch eating chips and drinking beer.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Quote Originally Posted by Monitor-Tan View Post
    It's called putting himself on a GREAT spot and making boat load of money on +2 bet.. **cough**
    are people really this retarded?

hazeee
    hazeee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 955

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You need to coach an NBA team wearing a suit from the sideline and see it ain't easy like when you do it from your couch eating chips and drinking beer.
    QFT, sick of reading people bash on coaches as if they could do a better job...

raydog
    raydog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

hollins is a shit coach...he proved that when he single handily lost the overtime game in san antonio...instead of fouling with 3 secs left, san antonio got a 3 pointer off that tied the game to send it into overtime...(it was memphis vs. kansas championship game all over again)....the guy is a moron and his players have overachieved to get where they are now...

biggamer3

Quote Originally Posted by suicidekings View Post
    By that same token, the Thunder had the opportunity to foul before the shot twice with a 3 point lead at the end of regulation and the end of OT1. The Grizz hit the 3pt shots to extend. Both fouling situations as well but OKC didn't do it.
    fouling in those situations is not as simple as you think. The Nets tried it this year and Green made a move like he was shooting and got 3 free throws.

The first 3 was a play that started at 15 seconds and Conley went through a screen and perkins was in a bad spot to foul him as it would likely have been in the act.

The Vazquez 3 was 9 seconds left, way to early to start the foul game and the shot he took was a horrible horrible shot with that much time still left.

The Hollins blunder by leaving those two guys in cost his team the game and sadly probably the series

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    fouling in those situations is not as simple as you think. The Nets tried it this year and Green made a move like he was shooting and got 3 free throws.

The first 3 was a play that started at 15 seconds and Conley went through a screen and perkins was in a bad spot to foul him as it would likely have been in the act.

The Vazquez 3 was 9 seconds left, way to early to start the foul game and the shot he took was a horrible horrible shot with that much time still left.

The Hollins blunder by leaving those two guys in cost his team the game and sadly probably the series
    I agree. The correct move in this situation is definitely debatable and depends heavily on who's got the ball in hand, who's doing the fouling, and how much time is left on the clock. OKC did a good job of contesting both.

If you pick the game apart, you could attribute a lot of mistakes in the game to Hollins and the Grizz coaching staff. Their defense got very lazy in the 2Q allowing the Thunder to inch their way back. Westbrook was getting to the rim almost uncontested when they had previously forced him to take jump shots.

The Grizzlies really need to be more comfortable in the halfcourt and learn to play a more defensive game as the situation requires. They were up 15+ and were still pressing their offense for points in transition without getting back to play good D. That's what led to all the fastbreak points for the Thunder and the resultant foul trouble for so many Grizzlies players. The Thunder might still have come back if the Grizzlies were playing with a more defensive mindset, but it would have had to be through making big shots instead of at the stripe and Conley/Mayo wouldn't have been forced out early.

nli07
    nli07's Avatar Become A Pro!

Coaches are human. If they never made mistakes, then itd be perfection. No coaches are perfect.

aznjeff07
    aznjeff07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 710

think the end result would have been the same. the even series is just going to make these last few games even better

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Hollins and Brooks are both mediocre coaches at best. For as entertaining as the playoffs have been so far, the coaching has been almost embarrassingly bad at times. I'd have to say -- and I never thought I'd type this -- Carlisle has impressed me the most.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

How come no one is blaming Phil Jackson for being swept by Dallas?

Is it because he is white?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I would rank Phil's effort in the NBA playoffs dead last among coaches this year, quite frankly.

Only Popacorpse would challenge it.

SASH
    SASH's Avatar Become A Pro!

Retarded move by memph head coach...was thinking the exact same thing

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2117

ok.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

You can't win in the NBA

Too much bullshit...refs, you don't know if players show up, coaches....

If bet, be more selective in choosing games. It's not worth it.

thunderingherd23
    thunderingherd23's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah that is a great point...wow

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

memphis coach is on a freeroll......

jashtonrich
    im back
    jashtonrich's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4929

yeah they should have never lost

DANO74
    DANO74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2455

I thought it really hurt the Grizz not having OJ Mayo down the stretch. He had a hot hand when he came out of the game.

biggamer3

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd23 View Post
    yeah that is a great point...wow
    what bothers me is the second i saw that he had Conley in i told a friend watch Conley foul out, and then boom Conley and a second later Mayo. And the crazy part is the announcers didnt even mention it at all.

been looking online, no media member has brought this up even, such a rudimentary thing and Hollins shit the bed not once but twice

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

was definitely a bad move, and i also wondered how no one mentioned it.

Dont want to rip Hollins a whole too much though, because he is getting this team to play great, and play well as a team and not really ever quit.

He doesnt have an easy group to manage...

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Not 1 thread about Phil Jackson on this forum.

He was casual and joking around with reporters after the most pathetic game the Lakers ever played in game 4. Even the league fines him 35k for being a bad coach in that game and not controlling his players.

Not 1 thread criticizing him, guess he should've been black.

biggamer3

Quote Originally Posted by JOHON8 View Post
    Not 1 thread about Phil Jackson on this forum.

He was casual and joking around with reporters after the most pathetic game the Lakers ever played in game 4. Even the league fines him 35k for being a bad coach in that game and not controlling his players.

Not 1 thread criticizing him, guess he should've been black.
    my favorite thing is when white and black get thrown into topics like this.

Sure when Hollins has 11 rings he will get the respect that Phil got on his parting press conference.

But i know one thing, if Lakers were in a have to foul situation and Kobe has 5 Fouls there is no way in hell he is out there

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    my favorite thing is when white and black get thrown into topics like this.

Sure when Hollins has 11 rings he will get the respect that Phil got on his parting press conference.

But i know one thing, if Lakers were in a have to foul situation and Kobe has 5 Fouls there is no way in hell he is out there

Actually in game 2 of Boston/NY the coach of NY had Carmelo in with 5 fouls and he didn't foul and the Celtics run out the clock. The thinking of the coach is that you put the best players available on the field regardless of foul trouble because they give you the best chance to make a defensive play like a steal instead of fouling.

HedBustah1
    HedBustah1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

He did **** up on that but he deserves a lot of credit for getting this team to play this well so far

JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 338

Quote Originally Posted by HedBustah1 View Post
    He did **** up on that but he deserves a lot of credit for getting this team to play this well so far
    Exactly. They beat the #1 seed spurs now they've lead vs OKC in the series... what more do you want out of a coach. I guess he has to win the championship before people stop criticizing him.

jwbjwbjwb12
    jwbjwbjwb12's Avatar Become A Pro!

that game was crazy havent ever seen anything like it ever wow

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10488

i blam all them ,they need to cry some

bbenson011
    bbenson011's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree here hollins should have taken them out :/

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

It might be bc he has 50 rings and Hollins has 0

12 Last