Betpoints: 15377

Another late miss for Lakers' Bryant

Another late miss for Lakers' Bryant

May, 3, 2011 May 3
    9:31
    AM ET

By Alok Pattani
    Archive

With his miss on a potential go-ahead 3-pointer in the final seconds of the Los Angeles Lakers' Game 1 loss to the Dallas Mavericks, Kobe Bryant now has missed his last five game-tying or go-ahead postseason field goal attempts in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime.

Bryant

This from the player who often has been called the best closer in the game.

Here’s a closer look those last five misses:

2009 First Round: Game 3 vs Jazz
    With the Lakers trailing 88-86 in the fourth quarter, Bryant misses a long 3-pointer that would have put the Lakers ahead with about a second left in the game. The Lakers lost by that score.

2009 NBA Finals: Game 2 vs Magic
    Tied at 88, Bryant's short jumper is blocked by Hedo Turkoglu with less than one second to play in the fourth quarter. The Lakers would go on to win in overtime, 101-96.

2010 First Round: Game 6 at Thunder
    Down 94-93 in the fourth quarter, Bryant misses a 13-foot jumper with about a second left, but Pau Gasol tips in the miss with about a half second left to give the Lakers the lead. They hold on to win, 95-94.

Kobe Bryant in Last :24 of 4th Qtr or OT
    Potential Go-Ahead or Game-Tying FGA

FGPctGo-Ahead FGA Tied2-825.0Go-Ahead FGA Trailing3-933.3Game-Tying FGA Trailing2-825.0> Postseason Career

2010 Conference Finals: Game 5 vs Suns
    With the score tied at 101 in the fourth quarter, Bryant shoots an air ball on a contested 3-pointer with a couple seconds left, but Ron Artest collects the rebound and banks in a shot at the buzzer to give the Lakers a 103-101 victory.

2011 Conference Semifinals:
    Game 1 vs Mavericks

Trailing 96-94, Bryant misses a three-pointer with about two seconds left that would have given the Lakers the lead. They would go on to lose by that score.

For his postseason career, Bryant is 7-for-25 (28.0 percent) on potential go-ahead or game-tying field goal attempts in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime. The league average on these shots over Bryant’s career (since the 1997 playoffs) is about 28.1 percent.

The last time Bryant made a field goal in this situation was Game 1 of the 2008 Western Conference Finals against the San Antonio Spurs. Tied at 85, Bryant made a 10-footer with 23.9 seconds left as the Lakers went on to win, 89-85.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Try wearing those stats on your finger. Doesn't quite fit like five championship rings now does it?

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

I am not an expert sir

lcscanada
    lcscanada's Avatar Become A Pro!

What you expect from a ego maniac? They guy did not need a 3 but wanted to be the hero instead
    of give it to a guy open 10 feet closer.

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

The guy would be so much better if he learned how to pass the ball. But with that being said I love it when Kobe fails, it makes me happy

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Try wearing those stats on your finger. Doesn't quite fit like five championship rings now does it?

First response brought up rings. I'm SHOCKED! That's all Kobe fans have as an argument, because their boy is terrible at the ends of games

tripp
    tripp's Avatar Become A Pro!

lebron > kobe

tullamore21
    Update your status
    tullamore21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3213

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    lebron > kobe

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tripp, you are out of your mind if you believe James is better than Bryant, all I'm going to say.

As for the article, I hate Kobe too, not as much as I hate Lebron but still one of my least favorite players in the NBA. With that said, Kobe is still the best player in the game today and I would take him over any other current player on my team come playoff time. Yeah he has missed his last 5 winning shots but I'll take the guy on his next attempt, I like my chances its going in.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Kobe takes so many buzzer shots he is going to miss a lot.

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    Tripp, you are out of your mind if you believe James is better than Bryant, all I'm going to say. As for the article, I hate Kobe too, not as much as I hate Lebron but still one of my least favorite players in the NBA. With that said, Kobe is still the best player in the game today and I would take him over any other current player on my team come playoff time. Yeah he has missed his last 5 winning shots but I'll take the guy on his next attempt, I like my chances its going in.
    This iis pretty much what i think too. I hate Kobe. The only player i hate more than Kobe, is LeBron...Cant stand either of them. But in all actuality neither are good closers. I started a thread on Lebron being a choke artist sometime last week.

But Kobe gets a ton of attention and yes hes a great player, but he is just an average closer and thats fact. People think he is such a great closer or clutch performer because ESPN will glorify his clutch shots for days. Meanwhile, when he misses a game winner, its forgotten the next day. For example last night.

KINGJAMES23
    KINGJAMES23's Avatar Become A Pro!

The truth is that Kobe isn't as clutch as everyone thinks but he's not as bad this article (and similar ones) try to make him out to be.

Truthfully, Dirk would be the guy I want taking my final shot. I know he's going to get off a good look. His fadeaway is unguardable.

iceminers26

Big Shot Rob

iceminers26

Kobe didn't have Big Shot to bail him out this time, all it boils down to:

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

thomas edison failed more times than he succeeded but no one calls him a loser.

kobe has had more success than anyone in the league

jnickell100

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    thomas edison failed more times than he succeeded but no one calls him a loser. kobe has had more success than anyone in the league
    Crusty, i think you should stick to your political views, because i like those. But Kobe has not succeed more than anyone in the league. Statistically, Melo is the best clutch player. I would also say Dirk is a better closer.

Kobe will never pass the ball late game and that makes him average. It doesnt matter if he 4 guys guarding him with other wide open. He has to big of a head to pass to the open guy and let him shoot the open shot.

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post

First response brought up rings. I'm SHOCKED! That's all Kobe fans have as an argument, because their boy is terrible at the ends of games
    Unless you believe you know more than the majority of NBA General Managers..............who take a poll on this topic every season and every season vote for Kobe as the games best closer..........STFU.

nulldah
    nulldah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

just like gambling, people will only remember the ones that he made

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

There was an article on espn a few months back about kobes clutch shots, he avg just an average percentage. something like 35% on shots under a minute with games 3 points or less.cant remember will try to dig up the link.

William Walters

phenomenon
    phenomenon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 958

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    thomas edison failed more times than he succeeded but no one calls him a loser. kobe has had more success than anyone in the league
    It was interesting buddy
    but don t forget,edison has nothing for loose, kobe has... if he miss team loose...

iceminers26

He has a little work left to do if he wants to catch Big Shot Rob

William Walters

Quote Originally Posted by marcoloco View Post
    There was an article on espn a few months back about kobes clutch shots, he avg just an average percentage. something like 35% on shots under a minute with games 3 points or less.cant remember will try to dig up the link.
    Do you people really not understand that Kobe is put in the situation to take just about EVERY big last minute/second shot? The other team knows this as well! But, PJ who knows about 1000X more about NBA than anybody on this board, still draws it up for the Mamba! Says a lot!

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

cmon now, crusty said kobe is the best ever

iceminers26

and if you are not aware of how many he has, its 7 in 16 seasons

KINGJAMES23
    KINGJAMES23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you people really not understand that Kobe is put in the situation to take just about EVERY big last minute/second shot? The other team knows this as well! But, PJ who knows about 1000X more about NBA than anybody on this board, still draws it up for the Mamba! Says a lot!
    That's exactly why I don't want Kobe to have the ball in his hands for the final possession. Everyone knows what's coming and they defend it like such and he still jacks it up.

Even Jordan kicked it to Kerr/Paxson.

Note- There is a difference between a possession and a shot.

bbenson011
    bbenson011's Avatar Become A Pro!

he still the best closer in the league

William Walters

and if you are not aware of how many he has, its 7 in 16 seasons
    lets not get carried away now. I'll always have a soft spot for big shot rob..........being a lakers fan. but, the guy rode coattails to rings

BettingWizard
    BettingWizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Kobe doesn't always get the last second shots

Fisher, Horry, and others have had more clutch shots than Kobe in the Playoffs

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tripp, you are out of your mind if you believe James is better than Bryant, all I'm going to say. As for the article, I hate Kobe too, not as much as I hate Lebron but still one of my least favorite players in the NBA. With that said, Kobe is still the best player in the game today and I would take him over any other current player on my team come playoff time. Yeah he has missed his last 5 winning shots but I'll take the guy on his next attempt, I like my chances its going in.
    kobe is not the best player in the NBA anymore.
    if you still think that he is u are still living in the past.