Doug tushyterror
    Doug tushyterror's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Stupid golf question

Why do golfers pick up their ball, put the marker there, just to put the ball right back down to putt it? I understand if it was the other golfers turn to putt it right after, but Hoffman did just that before Spieth putted. They penalize you if the ball moves an inch if you don't address it yet when you pick it up and put it back down you're never putting it back in the exact same spot, so why not just putt it without picking it up? Never quite understood this.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

They look at the lie without the ball obstructing view. They like to line the ball up via logo or other spot of ball.

Those farther away also need to put first.

It’s more about lining the ball up.

I hope that answers your question.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They can clean the ball if he has any dirt from when it was hit with the iron previously. It needs to be smooth for putting on the green.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

very important to have clean balls

Doug tushyterror

Quote Originally Posted by pimike View Post
    They look at the lie without the ball obstructing view. They like to line the ball up via logo or other spot of ball.

Those farther away also need to put first.

It’s more about lining the ball up.

I hope that answers your question.
    Thanks for the input Mike but Hoffman putted it before Spieth so there was no reason to pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They can clean the ball if he has any dirt from when it was hit with the iron previously. It needs to be smooth for putting on the green.
    If it's to remove any kind of debris that I get but they never do that on an iron shot.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3633

If it is a "Tap-In" putt then players will tap it in without stepping in the way of the away players next putt.
    Common courtesy.

payupsucker
    payupsucker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7813

TV time for golfer/sponsors.

Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

Cleaning up the ball.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Doug tushyterror View Post
    Thanks for the input Mike but Hoffman putted it before Spieth so there was no reason to pick it up.

If it's to remove any kind of debris that I get but they never do that on an iron shot.
    you are only allowed to mark the ball on the green unless it is lift clean and place

most of the reasons are already mentioned

for a tap in after already hitting a putt it is to line the ball, make sure you are NOT in the line of another player (or thru line), but most importantly to make sure the ball isnt at rest in a ball mark...the last thing you want is to hit a 8 inch putt and the ball pop straight up from an improper fixing of a ball mark

Doug tushyterror

Even I wouldn't take Spieth now with a 2 shot lead going into 18 at this price. Rooting for Hoffman (12-27-76) though cuz he's exactly one year younger than me.
    Last edited by Doug tushyterror; 04-04-21 at 04:35 PM.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

It is for lining the putt up in many cases. If the greens and fairways are wet the ball can have mud chunks on it so that is one reason. But for me, I will find the line I want and then put the lettering on the side of the ball and point it at the target line. This way when I stand over the ball I no longer have to worry about the exact line I need to putt the ball. Once I stand over the putt all I am thinking about is the pace of the putt.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

they replace the magnetic driving ball with a regular ball for putting since they are much closer to the hole - goduke