thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    no way should he dq himself

i don't see lebron calling traveling on himself

people thinking it's "doing the right thing" are chumps, just like the chumps that give $500,000 home run baseballs back to the player in exchange for some tickets
    Mike the game of Golf relies on players "doing the right thing". They don't have referees checking on each stroke, stance etc. Brian Davis in a playoff played a shot from the bunker and felt he might have brushed his club with a weed in his backswing...guess what he called the officials to check on tv and then took the penalty. And to just be clear Tiger did try to gain an advantage by dropping the ball 2 yards behind (just listen to his interview last night) which means the penalty assessed is correct and since he signed the card incorrect he should be DQ no question about it. I bet any other player would be home by now after dqing himself.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

I love how people think a golfers are such gentleman I pointing everything out. It's far from that.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I don't know the rules of golf... but logical reasoning would say it would go on Wood's 2nd Round Score Card. Because it happened during Round 2 no matter if the scorecard was signed or not. You can't give a player a +2 starting off Round 3. Because Round 3 never started yet.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

he said he dropped it 2 YARDS behind but it appeared to be about 2 FEET behind

i don't remember dustin johnson dq'ing himself at the pga championship here when he grounded his club in a bunker, rules officials had to penalize him for that

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    Have any of you ever played in a golf tournament?

If the drop area isn't fit, you drop the ball from your original spot..

Now follow me here, NEVER does a player drop it exactly where they hit it from because there is a divet.

It is a petty rule because it is broken everytime.

Truthfully, if he doesn't do an interview saying he moved it two feet back no penalty would have occurred.

I don't like Woods, but it is impossible to hit it from exact area.. That two feet shouldn't cost him two stroke nor a dq.

The rule is tainted.
    There is no more discussion needed, this ends the thread.

qsilver335
    qsilver335's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

The main point should be that Tiger didn't gain any advantage by his "broken rule". A 2 shot penalty is crap!

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I don't know the rules of golf... but logical reasoning would say it would go on Wood's 2nd Round Score Card. Because it happened during Round 2 no matter if the scorecard was signed or not. You can't give a player a +2 starting off Round 3. Because Round 3 never started yet.
    on the officials masters scorecard it says 73. i bet a prop on 5dimes for him to go over par in a round. im live chatting them right now

thunderous
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    Have any of you ever played in a golf tournament?

If the drop area isn't fit, you drop the ball from your original spot..

Now follow me here, NEVER does a player drop it exactly where they hit it from because there is a divet.

It is a petty rule because it is broken everytime.

Truthfully, if he doesn't do an interview saying he moved it two feet back no penalty would have occurred.

I don't like Woods, but it is impossible to hit it from exact area.. That two feet shouldn't cost him two stroke nor a dq.

The rule is tainted.
    Do you have any freaking idea what you are talking about? You take the drop from the exact area not play from it. Let me make you understand a few rules of physics...when you drop a ball from 6ft above onto a ground it does not stay there it travels a few inches/feet in any direction depending on the conditions on the ground. Where the ball ends up that's where you play the next shot from. He knowingly/unknowingly tried to take an advantage by dropping the ball 2 yards behind as you can listen on that interview and he knew exactly because he did check the different options he had as to where he would like to drop the ball.
    The rule is not tainted...

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I am not shocked by this at all. He can recover from this and he still has a shot here. It will hurt his chances but at least he didn't get a DQ out of this from what see. If it was an honest mistake then I am fine with this and I do think that this is the case. Everyone is human and we don't seem to forget that and all of us makes mistakes. If it is always happening with him then it would be a problem but this is the first case I have seen him do this so I am willing to understand it could have been a mistake here by Tiger.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead
    rfr3sh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 604

Quote Originally Posted by qsilver335 View Post
    The main point should be that Tiger didn't gain any advantage by his "broken rule". A 2 shot penalty is crap!
    why not?
    he literally said he gained an advantage by doing it
    Last edited by rfr3sh; 04-13-13 at 10:10 AM.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

The winner of an event or game will be determined on the date of the event or game's conclusion according to house rules. 5Dimes does not recognize suspended games, protests, overturned decisions, etc., for wagering purposes

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

just live chatted 5dimes and they said they wont have official scores until the tournament ends if this effected betting for anyone else.

they are as incompetent as the pga tho so who knows

thunderous
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    he said he dropped it 2 YARDS behind but it appeared to be about 2 FEET behind

i don't remember dustin johnson dq'ing himself at the pga championship here when he grounded his club in a bunker, rules officials had to penalize him for that
    Dustin Johnson didn't dq himself because he was unaware that that barren patches were considered bunkers...once he was made aware of it he moved on and accepted the penalty but he was fortunate because before he signed the card it was brought to his attention. In Tiger's case if he was told during his round he would have never signed the card with a 6 on it and there would have been no problem but it was discovered after he signed his card which is automatic dq because it has been done before. Heck many years ago at the Masters (I don't remember the guy's name) put down a 4 instead of 3 which he made on 17th on Sunday and then signed the incorrect card...guess what he was dqed. If he puts the correct score he wins the Masters!

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Lets just move on and hope for a great weekend of golf

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Tiger definitely didn't "cheat". He either had a brain fart or didn't know the rule. Hard to believe, but yeah. He didn't even gain an advantage. Just a rule thing. Really hard to believe he wouldn't know the rules.

So that unbelievably unlucky bounce off the pin may very well cost him the tourney. If you believe in karma...

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Tiger definitely didn't "cheat". He either had a brain fart or didn't know the rule. Hard to believe, but yeah. He didn't even gain an advantage. Just a rule thing. Really hard to believe he wouldn't know the rules.

So that unbelievably unlucky bounce off the pin may very well cost him the tourney. If you believe in karma...
    he did gain and advantage, jesus

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

"And it was a little bit wet. So it was muddy and not a good spot to drop. So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back.
    "I tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit – that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back."

After he said that how can you dumbasses keep saying he didn't gain an advantage

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

I just saw the play. How does anyone think (even Tiger) that he gained an advantage from the drop? The ball was essentially in the same spot (I'd say it was a foot and a half behind, not 2 yards). his original ball was a good lie, the 2nd ball was the exact same lie. What are people complaining about here? Tiger screwed himself with his comments but I think he didn't think through his comments. Look at where both balls were hit. You've already lost a stroke with the drop and now you assess additional penalties? That was stupid and i could care less who wins/loses.

All these haters that want a competitor to quit are stupid. Why? Just because he's banging cocktail waitresses and you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderous View Post
    Do you have any freaking idea what you are talking about? You take the drop from the exact area not play from it. Let me make you understand a few rules of physics...when you drop a ball from 6ft above onto a ground it does not stay there it travels a few inches/feet in any direction depending on the conditions on the ground. Where the ball ends up that's where you play the next shot from. He knowingly/unknowingly tried to take an advantage by dropping the ball 2 yards behind as you can listen on that interview and he knew exactly because he did check the different options he had as to where he would like to drop the ball.
    The rule is not tainted...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

i think he deserves 2 shots for stupidity if nothing else. all and all it seems fair to me, him being DQed would be an outrage.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

gaining an advantage is 100% meaningless rules-wise.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm watching the Golf channel right now and no way in hell was it 2 yards further behind. His 2nd shot was maybe a foot behind. They showed both shots superimposed. Plus who gives a shit? He knows how far his ball is away and will have to hit the same shot anyway. 1 foot, 2 yards BACK is not an advantage. now if he moved 2 yards in front, I'd agree with you.

I didn't see when the drop happened. Do golfers mark where their last ball was hit from? How do they know the exact same spot? If he stood over his last spot and dropped the ball, it is very conceivable that it landed where he ended up hitting the 2nd shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rfr3sh View Post
    "And it was a little bit wet. So it was muddy and not a good spot to drop. So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back.
    "I tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit – that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back."

After he said that how can you dumbasses keep saying he didn't gain an advantage

Mac4Lyfe

Also - rules of Golf are often so obscure and vague that the spirit of the law needs to be followed and not the very literal word. Tiger wasn't trying to gain an advantage here. He said he had to take 2 yards off his last shot. If he hit it from the same spot he wouldn't have had to do that and he could hit the same shot he did the first time.

The issue at question is whether he violated the rule stating the ball should be dropped "as nearly as possible" to the spot where it was last played.

What the fukk is nearly as possible? If you're going to go by the letter than you should say "within 5 yards" or "within 6 inches", etc. His shot looked nearly as possible to me.

Funny that a viewer watching TV reported this. They had already closed the books and were done but a viewer called in and they look into it.That's bullshit.

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I'm watching the Golf channel right now and no way in hell was it 2 yards further behind. His 2nd shot was maybe a foot behind. They showed both shots superimposed. Plus who gives a shit? He knows how far his ball is away and will have to hit the same shot anyway. 1 foot, 2 yards BACK is not an advantage. now if he moved 2 yards in front, I'd agree with you.

I didn't see when the drop happened. Do golfers mark where their last ball was hit from? How do they know the exact same spot? If he stood over his last spot and dropped the ball, it is very conceivable that it landed where he ended up hitting the 2nd shot.
    You know where he hit it from because of the divot.
    I knew the train of thought for all you guys was well if it was 2 yards forward this was an advantage not back
    the fact of the matter is for professional golfers its all feel, he literally just hit almost the perfect shot except it was long by say a foot or 2 yards, pretty much exactly the distance in which he moved his ball back. so now he placed the ball where he knows exactly what to hit...that is an advantage...remember distance is not a problem for these guys, and at the distance that shot was, its all feel

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

Funny that a viewer watching TV reported this. They had already closed the books and were done but a viewer called in and they look into it.That's bullshit.
    same exact thing happend earlier this year with tiger
    a golfer called in about a ruling given to tiger and they assessed him a stroke penalty
    http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...er-drop-011813

it doesn't say anything about the viewer, but during the event they said a viewer called them to notify them of the rules

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Hope he hit a 65!!!!!

Mac4Lyfe

Did you see the superimposed picture? It was the same freaking shot... Maybe a foot back, not 2 yards. He took something off of it because the first shot was a little long. What's wrong with that? Do you really think if it hit it from the exact same spot that he couldn't have made the same shot? The skill comes from making that shot not from moving the ball back a bit. You're letting your anger get the best of you. You still have to hit the shot, which he did. Most people (even pros) can't hit the same exact shot twice. He paid the penalty with the drop. Why he was penalized beyond that is weird. The rules are obscure, in fact, one option he could have taken would have been to hit it at any distance behind the dropped ball on a straight line which it looks like he could have taken anyway if folks were going to get their panties in a bunch.

You know where he hit it from because of the divot.
    I knew the train of thought for all you guys was well if it was 2 yards forward this was an advantage not back
    the fact of the matter is for professional golfers its all feel, he literally just hit almost the perfect shot except it was long by say a foot or 2 yards, pretty much exactly the distance in which he moved his ball back. so now he placed the ball where he knows exactly what to hit...that is an advantage...remember distance is not a problem for these guys, and at the distance that shot was, its all feel

playersonly69
    playersonly69's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Tigger is on the putting green! I hope that he shoots 65 today

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

it feels like boomtown or bust for woods today. cbs execs will be ejaculating all over the place if he shoots 65.

Mac4Lyfe

I remember the incident. I don't remember a viewer calling in though. The stupid thing about that penalty is that it's so obscure that most golfers don't know it. More officials should be on hand to provide help for some of those stupid calls.

same exact thing happend earlier this year with tiger
    a golfer called in about a ruling given to tiger and they assessed him a stroke penalty
    http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...er-drop-011813

it doesn't say anything about the viewer, but during the event they said a viewer called them to notify them of the rules

rfr3sh
    Blind Knucklehead

I agree they should call it at the point of it happening not after
    imagine in the NBA they review all of the tape and change the final score based on missed calls or wrong calls

thes0vereign
    Don't bet with your heart.
    thes0vereign's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Tiger will play. Can you imagine the PR disaster for him if he didn't finish out? Not to mention the POed patrons of Augusta who are there just to watch him play!

I feel it would completely halt all momentum Tiger has found in 2013.

Mac4Lyfe

I'm watching it on CNN and you can see his divot clearly in front of the dropped ball. It's about 2 feet behind on the same lie. The only advantage I can see is that he was able to hit the ball again from basically the same spot. The 2 foot distance has zero bearing on the results. If you put that same shot on the original spot it's a similar putt.

What's so screwed up is that the officials all agreed it was a good drop, they all moved on and as he was finishing up his round. He actually completed the round submitted his scores and everything was good. It was only later that he opened his big mouth that they assessed a penalty. They still haven't said that it was an illegal drop officially. They basically penalized him for talking to the media. Stupid of him but stupid for the committee too because it shows how ridiculously flawed some of these rules are.

Like penalizing a 14 year old for taking too long to hit the ball. Stupid fukkks.

he did gain and advantage, jesus

Mac4Lyfe

Exactly... I've seen this happen in golf a lot of times. Guy is in the clubhouse chilling with a beer in his hands celebrating all to find out that he's been penalized for something weird. At least tell me on the course so I can make up for any lost shots.
    I agree they should call it at the point of it happening not after
    imagine in the NBA they review all of the tape and change the final score based on missed calls or wrong calls

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Refresh is correct that it is to Tigers advantage to take the drop there which is why he chose to. There are many instances where knowing the rules of golf can save you shots and can be used to your advantage. If he just chunked it into the water, his drop would have been fine because he would be going back on line of flight, but because the ball bounced back in and enter the hazard somewhere else besides between him and the hole, he has to play it from where he hit the first, or he could have walked back on the new line of entry, or gone to the DZ.

Now the key here is as someone mentioned earlier, what is "as near as possible"

If his ball rolled back into his divot, he would have to play it as it lies, so him or anyone else is going to make damn sure that doesn't happen, that means you gotta take a foot or maybe a bit more. I haven't seen the replay yet, but unless it was egregious and more than his wedge length from the original spot, it probably shouldn't have been called, if its 4-5 ft. Then you got to call it.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Exactly... I've seen this happen in golf a lot of times. Guy is in the clubhouse chilling with a beer in his hands celebrating all to find out that he's been penalized for something weird. At least tell me on the course so I can make up for any lost shots.
    Well... The game is based on honesty, so you have to be able to correct mistakes made, I think this rule is far better than DQ as they used to do.

First 123 Last