BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Professional Horse Handicappers...?

Guys I have Scott's book from years ago along with other books from Andy Beyer, but the question still remains....Are there very many professional horse handicappers in existence? The takeout alone would dictate that the vast majority of cappers can't win. Of those who are professional, do most just bet win, bet win/place, or even throw in some exotics (which have even higher takeouts)? Are there certain tracks they stay away from as well due to smaller pools and a higher proportion of race fixing? Also, tracks like Baymeadows who are experiencing rampant pool manipulation after the race has begun would severely diminish one's returns as well. Would love to learn more about the potential successes or lack thereof in this form of handicapping. Thanks guys...

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

What exactly are you looking to find out, mate?

Is it worth while focusing on horses only?
    Probably not.

Is it a useful string to add to your bow?
    Definitely.

Would i bet into the smaller tracks (5k purses)?
    Not on your life.

What particular factors do i find to be the most influential in terms of success?
    DISCIPLINE.

If you would like to develop some horse racing strategies, and would like to discuss with someone that has some experience in the field, i would be happy to help. So long as you're serious, i have enough to be doing.

Have you any instant messaging capabilities?
    If so i would be happy to discuss during a race meeting.

bbyhill
    bbyhill's Avatar Become A Pro!

exotics, multi race exotics. wont make it betting win or win/place. i know all north american track takeouts. should only bet when you find some value

BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Hey mad and bobby, great to hear from yall. Bobby that's interesting you say that, because I've always seen that exotics have the biggest takeout of all.

Mad I'm very serious. I'm always looking for ways to expand my gambling arsenal, and will outright admit that horse racing is my weakest link. I understand about value like bobby says, which makes some races simply un-betable. I'm picking up a lot of things from people smarter than me, and just had a conversation this morning with someone who was trying to tell me more about the nuances of particular tracks (speed favoring, made for closers, etc.). Would love to know more about your style and betting patterns. Are you aware of any cappers that are topping six figures in a year? If so, what are they risking per race? Cheers....

jon101
    jon101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I can make and lose money fast

I can make it and lose it fast.

It depends on the horses and the odds as to what I play.

Tracks that don't treat me well.

Churchill

Tracks that treat me well.

Suffolk
    Calder
    Laurel

I am gonna post up some Laurel & Retama picks right now so we'll see what happens today. Gambling is still gambling no matter how you slice it.

Jon101

bbyhill

jon who do you like at laurel rc5

jon101
    jon101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Laurel R5

BB Laurel R5 is posted.

See Forum Topics list I like the 2

Sincerely,
    Jon101

Machmood
    Machmood's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jon101 View Post
    BB Laurel R5 is posted.

See Forum Topics list I like the 2

Sincerely,
    Jon101

going out on a limb here............
    I'm just kidding good luck

Machmood

i do agree though, and the 4 to place or show

Machmood

wow i thought that was a 1 horse race, o well atleast the 4 came in

bbyhill

bollocks all i can say about takeout is look at pay offs and see how much the return is on multi race wagers or tri and spr compared to the payoffs on wps

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

What mad said. The key to being a professional is patience and discipline. you need to watch all the races and write down notes and wait wait wait. True professionals bet maybe 1 or 2 races a week if that and they bet to win and win only and of course bet large. I do not have that patience and I like to bet tons of races because I love the sport itself. If I ever did it for profit only I would just sit and sit.

bbyhill

there are pro's who play multi race wagers like the pick 6 nobody plays just the win anymore except a few people.you can watch race replays of the horses on any card. if you are a simulcast player you can find a few good betting races a day.study the charts know the tracks you want to play and have money management. i am starting to check out some of the tracks that just started with the synthetic surfaces for the first meet,i save all the result charts make notebook and go from there
    Last edited by bbyhill; 11-08-07 at 09:14 PM.