batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10197

Los AL Dead heat.....Same owner and trainer.....

Both horses were in the same winning photo pic..........First time I've ever seen that....pretty cool......

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68629

Don't think I have seen that before either.

For the owner and the trainer it is not so good.

Both lose the precious condition of non winners of 3 lifetime but only make 40% each. Had they run first and second they would have received 60 % for 1st and 20% for 2nd. Then the horse that ran 2nd would have been able to win 60% when it wins.

With uncoupled entries, instead of 1 and 1A as the same bet, they had no choice but to do everything possible to win.

Thanks for sharing.

Wonder if the trainer is the same Kelly Castaneda that used to ride on the east coast 30 years ago?
    Last edited by str; 01-28-19 at 09:56 AM.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10197

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Don't think I have seen that before either.

For the owner and the trainer it is not so good.

Both lose the precious condition of non winners of 3 lifetime but only make 40% each. Had they run first and second they would have received 60 % for 1st and 20% for 2nd. Then the horse that ran 2nd would have been able to win 60% when it wins.

With uncoupled entries, instead of 1 and 1A as the same bet, they had no choice but to do everything possible to win.

Thanks for sharing.

Wonder if the trainer is the same Kelly Castaneda that used to ride on the east coast 30 years ago?
    Interesting point on the earnings.... I just thought the pic was cool and unique! Kelly could be the son....... Not sure though....

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68629

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    Interesting point on the earnings.... I just thought the pic was cool and unique! Kelly could be the son....... Not sure though....
    Very unique and if the owner won't miss the difference in earnings, it's probably well worth it.

Very rare indeed.

I knew the rider Kelly and rode him a few times when I ran out of town. He was an above average rider for sure.

Have to think we won a race together somewhere. Not sure though.

Thanks for sharing.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9560

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Very unique and if the owner won't miss the difference in earnings, it's probably well worth it.

Very rare indeed.

I knew the rider Kelly and rode him a few times when I ran out of town. He was an above average rider for sure.

Have to think we won a race together somewhere. Not sure though.

Thanks for sharing.
    wow that's a unique circumstance...so let's say a purse of 20k..the owner will earn the same finishing in the dead heat as if his horse's finished 1-2.but he will miss the opportunity to go for that 20k purseagain as both horses are through the condition..so assuming the horse is ok that's about $12k he won't have the opportunity to shoot for..not to mention possible minor awards if he finishes 2nd or 3rd prior to notching a win..not a good deal for the owner at all
    Last edited by JBEX; 01-29-19 at 07:20 AM.