bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Who do you like in the Kentucky Derby?

I'm surprised nobody is talking about Derby day this Saturday at all yet.

Who do you like ?

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

Its wide open from my viewpoint. My top choice is Circular Quay,I was impressed with his winning move in his last race. He pinned his ears back and won very professionally.The extra time between races doesn't bother me as much as his running style.He needs a clean trip with his closing style. Street Sence is the horse to beat and my second choice.He has run well over the churchhill surface and its its third start of the layoff,often a horses best preformance.His race in the blue grass should set him up perfectly. He basically ran one quarter of a mile and should be primed for a solid effort. Hard Spun is my third choice and kind of an X factor in the race.Nobiz Like Shobiz wins the beauty contest and could be there at the finish if he can get the distance.I'm not using Curlin in the race ,I don't think he is this good.I may use Great Hunter, Dominician and Storm in May in the tri.s and super.
    The Derby is somewhat of a crap shoot because none of these three years have run this far and the best horse doesn't always win because of traffic troubles.
    I love Rags to Riches in the Oaks and hope to be alive in the doubles to several horses in the derby.If you can come up with the right combination it will pay nicely no matter who wins.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9474

1. Nobizlikeshowbiz
    2. Circualr Quay
    3. Zanjero
    4. Street Sense.

Will play top 3 across the board. Not playing SS but have to include in exacta and tris. I didn't like his last race or his schedule of just 2 races leading into the race. Will also be overbet offf the BC win on same track.

Seattle Slew

He did that very easily. Plus, John Velasquez is due to win one of these big races. I don't think he's ever won a Triple Crown race or BC Classic.

[QUOTE=thezbar;261951]Its wide open from my viewpoint. My top choice is Circular Quay,I was impressed with his winning move in his last race.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'm going to coattail Mets catcher Paul LoDuca and take Tiago

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

Post positions in 30 minutes, gentlemen.

E

EBone

Curlin is in the #2 hole with Sedgefield in #1 hole. Great Gosh Almighty.....

I don't like Any Given Saturday now that he is in the #18 hole and has shown fatigue in his last race even though he raced on limited rest.

I look at this draw, initially, and think that Curlin has gotten an awfully nice draw. He needs to stay within striking distance of the lead though so he doesn't get caught in traffic.

E

bigboydan

I like street sense

picantel
    picantel's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 433

I never win the derby and pretty much always win the belmont so with that in mind I am going with Hard Spun. I always get burned on the closers. This one should be up close but not pressing for the lead until the half. I hope he sits and stalks and then bursts through.

abacus30
    abacus30's Avatar Become A Pro!

I watched the positioning show today on ESPN and initially like Street Sense. Does anyone know of any solid handicapping website(s) we might benefit from before making our Derby wagers? Thanks.

EBone

www.drf.com

This is the Daily Racing Form's official website. You can also sign up to view past Grade 2/3 races on their site.

E

EBone

Quote Originally Posted by picantel View Post
    I never win the derby and pretty much always win the belmont so with that in mind I am going with Hard Spun. I always get burned on the closers. This one should be up close but not pressing for the lead until the half. I hope he sits and stalks and then bursts through.
    I just watched the replay of the Southwest @ Oaklawn back in late Feb. It looked to me like Hard Spun was bumped in the stretch of this race and kinda lost his muster after that. The key for Hard Spun is to stay on pace if not lead in my opinion, picantel. Having watched some other video, it looks like trainer, Jones, thinks he's gonna have a free shot at the lead if he wants it. I'd advise him to take it.

E

picantel

Well I got $300 to win on hard spun along with some tris and pers. may put more depending on the oaks and some bball bets. also have my GS +1000 winnings.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    I like street sense
    Thats 2 years in a row I won this race now.

EBone

Very good, Dan. I talked to my Pop after the race and he said this: "From the aerial replay, it looked there were 19 horses and 1 greyhound!!!!!!" Calvin Borel told Battaglia on NBC that "he felt like he was sitting on a bomb at the 1/2 mile marker"

I gotta believe that no more than 10 horses are gonna take on Street Sense in the Preakness. I feel like Street Sense is gonna win the Preakness without much competition, thus his odds are gonna be at rock bottom prices. Pletcher would be wise to sit all of his Kentucky Derby horses out until the Belmont. Even then, he should probably only enter 2 into the Belmont(Any Given Saturday and Circular Quay).

E

Seattle Slew

Congrats and a nice price for a favorite, almost $12 to win.

picantel

I would not count out hard spun in the preakness if he runs. The preakness is the shortest race of the 3 and he ran pretty quick fractions in the derby. He was pulling away from everyone except street sense and let's face it SS got really lucky and ran a rail run the entire way. No way he will get lucky twice. If the derby was the preakness last race hard spun is your winner with the shorter length.

Seattle Slew

I think your right, my concern with Hard Spun is nobody was running behind him. I've never seen a Derby where 15 horses didn't run a lick. He might be overplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by picantel View Post
    I would not count out hard spun in the preakness if he runs. The preakness is the shortest race of the 3 and he ran pretty quick fractions in the derby. He was pulling away from everyone except street sense and let's face it SS got really lucky and ran a rail run the entire way. No way he will get lucky twice. If the derby was the preakness last race hard spun is your winner with the shorter length.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Congrats and a nice price for a favorite, almost $12 to win.
    I actually thought I was gonna get a little bit more, but that wasn't the case. I'll take it though

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by EBone View Post
    Very good, Dan. I talked to my Pop after the race and he said this: "From the aerial replay, it looked there were 19 horses and 1 greyhound!!!!!!" Calvin Borel told Battaglia on NBC that "he felt like he was sitting on a bomb at the 1/2 mile marker"

I gotta believe that no more than 10 horses are gonna take on Street Sense in the Preakness. I feel like Street Sense is gonna win the Preakness without much competition, thus his odds are gonna be at rock bottom prices. Pletcher would be wise to sit all of his Kentucky Derby horses out until the Belmont. Even then, he should probably only enter 2 into the Belmont(Any Given Saturday and Circular Quay).

E
    I don't think we will get the value in the 2nd leg of the triple crown.

picantel

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    I think your right, my concern with Hard Spun is nobody was running behind him. I've never seen a Derby where 15 horses didn't run a lick. He might be overplayed.
    If he runs he probably will be played pretty hard behind street sense. The more I think on it though the more I like hard spun again if he chooses to run. If you watch the race before the derby he ran the quarter 4 wide and the entire race until the stretch 3 wide and still drew off. If you watch the derby you will notice horses stacking 6+ deep trying to pass and he just holds them all off except street sense. I swear 75% of the field was wide that race and hard spun was just pulling away. Street sense got to back off from fast fractions and rode the rail in a ground saving trip and just got plain old lucky. The only downfall with hard spun is the smaller field which gives SS an easier time negotiating the field but maybe hard spun is able to get softer fractions and will have a little more gas in the tank. Either way I hope he runs because it will be interesting to watch