BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Lasix? Is it going to make a difference

The banning of Lasix in the Juvenile races for the BC.

Just trying to gauge some handicapping thoughts. I have read a few opinion pieces on whether its a good idea or a bad idea, but I am just trying to focus on the results of the ban.

Will it give Euro's the edge? Since they are used to running on no Lasix?

Thoughts?

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68641

Q. Will it give Euro's the edge? Since they are used to running on no Lasix?

A. Probably not.

All the trainers in the USA have scoped their horses after each race to see exactly what is going on inside the horse. That is what you do with horses of this caliber.

Any horse that has had trace amounts of blood while running on lasix, is not entered unless the trainer or owner is 1/2 crazy.

The gamble is whether or not any horse that did run on it and did not bleed would have if it was not given.

That is the gamble that bettors will have to deal with over and above the normal.

I still do not know if other anti bleeding meds are available though. If so, it dilutes the questions concerning the lasix ban in 2 year olds.

Hope that helps.

pick4player
    pick4player's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

am i safe to assume bute are still used in breeders cup races

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68641

Quote Originally Posted by pick4player View Post
    am i safe to assume bute are still used in breeders cup races
    Yes, but do know that only trace amounts are allowed. Ten cc's no later than 24 hours out for a 1000 pound horse is pretty much the same as taking 500mg of aspirin 12 hours before doing strenuous activity.

It's not what most people think when it's heard as being permissible.