daoilman
    daoilman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Claims On Firsters

Is it unusual for a horse to be claimed out of a 30,000$ claiming race in its very first start? A lot of years watching races and I can't often remember seeing this move to often.

Today in the 3rd at Churchill, horse #8 Angel Love makes her second lifetime start after being claimed out of her first start.

The connections involved are high profile on both sides of the equation, the horse was taken from Dale Romans and McKee stables, and now belongs to Ken and Sarah Ramsey and Trained by Michael Maker.

What's the thought process in this situation?

Is this horse a probable winner today?

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

Wow daoilman you are sure right. That hardly doesn't ever happen. I wonder if the trainer is good after a claim like Mike Mitchell is?

daoilman
    daoilman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I might be able to sniff key in some gimmicks with this horse if he doesn't get pounded in the pools.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

Not speaking to today's specific instance, but overall they are a bad bet. I found just under 200 instances during a one year period and the win rate was 15% with a .79/1.00 ROI. What pumped the ROI to even that high were turf races, they showed a positive ROI. Races on the dirt and artificial surface were very poor ROIs

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9474

Many first start maiden claimers often do get claimed, but mostly on bigger circuits (NY, Kentucky, California).

One of the stakes runners General Quarters was claimed in his first start, and has banked a ton of money for the owner.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68593

I have commented on this topic in my Q and A thread if anyone is interested.