Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Playing in Montreal Provides a Distinct Advantage

I'm referring to the AllStar game ballots. The latest numbers show Habs center Mike Cammalleri, who isn't even french at that, ranked number six for overall centermen with 264,726 ballots. In terms of the scoring race Cammalleri is ranked 62nd with 12 goals and 16 helpers for 28 points.

Now over in Philadelphia there are a couple of centers who are lightyears ahead of Cammalleri in terms of raw talent and yet because of their playing location, they don't attract the same focus from the hockey purists like they would if they played in la belle province. Can you imagine the number of allstar votes Claude Giroux would accummulate if he played center for the Canadiens? Heck he would probably give Crosby a run for his money or I mean ballots. Lets keep in mind too that Philadelphia a very solid hockey base in the U.S. but in comparison to Montreal, it simply doesn't or can't compare.

As for Giroux's ballot numbers, he's in nineth place with 226,739, some 38,000 votes behind the Habs Cammalleri. In terms of point production however, Giroux ranks a respectable 27th with 35 points on 16 goals and 19 assists. His teammate, center Mike Richards, is the other Flyers centerman who deserves many more accolades than the 228,828 ballots he's received, good for eighth spot on the list of centers for the allstar game coming up in Carolina. That's a distant 36,000 votes behind Montreal's Cammalleri. Richard's point total of 37 on 13 goals and 24 helpers however has him sitting in 18th spot in the scoring race and that's in comparison to Cammalleri's location of 62nd in the NHL scoring race.

Consider too the voting for the goaltending position. How can we explain the Canadiens Carey Price accummulating more ballots than Boston's Tim Thomas? If that isn't enough, how can Price's ballot count be some 213,000 more than Thomas'? Exactly my point gentlemen, exactly my point!

It's little secret and it's also been known for ages that this method of selecting the starting lineup and the team itself for the allstar game is nothing more than a popularity night at the NHL prom. Hell for that matter if Dan Carcillo played center for the Canadiens, he'd probably surpass Giroux and Richards in terms of ballots as well. I mean lets be honest, in the end this game is exactly what it is, nothing more than a popularity contest put together to allow the players some time off and another chance for the wee troll, commissioner Gary Bettman, to look good while in attendance and more so during his interview at the intermission.

By the way if I may, let me take this moment to wish everyone a very Happy New Year.

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

No doubt, we probably have the most hardcore fanbase in the NHL.
    You should see the number of journalists that make a living covering the habs, it's ridiculous...

Scully
    Scully's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Yeah I've gone to many games in Moontreal over the years gohabs and the press buildup and fanbase is second to none. Actually my grandparents used to live about ten blocks from the Forum, at 1225 McKay Street, right of Ste. Catherine.

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

But this isnt really an advantage. I mean, who give 2 shits about the all star game. Its a joke, and its not like it gets you extra money at the end of your contract.

ChileCheese
    ChileCheese's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 256

Perhaps to disprove your theory... Look at this...

Today, the "first six All-Stars" were announced: Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby(notes) received 635,509 total votes, Chicago Blackhawks star Jonathan Toews(notes) got 407,676 and the Penguins' Evgeni Malkin(notes) got 376,887 at forward. Letang led the defensemen with 477,960 votes, with Duncan Keith(notes) of the Blackhawks in second with 382,162. Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury(notes) led the goalies with 426,305.

Looks like Montreal has nothing on these 2 cities.