bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Turgeon expected to announce retirement

He should have retired like 3 years ago IMO
    Turgeron expected to announce retirement after 19-year career

MONTREAL -- Pierre Turgeon is expected to end his 19-season NHL career by announcing his retirement Wednesday.

The 38-year-old is to meet with the media at agent Bob Sauve's office in Laval, north of Montreal. Turgeon, an unrestricted free agent, was expected to retire after groin and calf injuries limited him to only 17 games last season with the Colorado Avalanche.

The top overall draft pick by the Buffalo Sabres in 1987, he went on to score 515 goals and 1,327 points in 1,294 career games with the Sabres, New York Islanders, Montreal Canadiens, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars and Colorado.

He won the Lady Byng Trophy in 1993 with the Islanders after posting career highs of 58 goals and 132 points.

Earlier this summer, he was chosen to the Little League Hall of Excellence for his play at the 1982 Little League World Series, when he pitched for Canada's Rouyn-Noranda.

PuckOff
    PuckOff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4352

Dan,

Do you think he will get in the Hall?

SFink
    SFink's Avatar Become A Pro!

The "Magician from Rouyn" is surely heading into the Hall ! No question about it !

Pierre was not only a trumendous hockey player, but a true gentleman on and off the ice.

SFink

oh and Dan, if it wouldnt have been for nagging injuries he would have had much better seasons, also signing with Dallas was not a good decision for an offensive player like him...

He will still be remembered as beeing involved in one of the worst trades of all time when Montreal sent him and Craig Conroy to St-Louis in return for Shayne Corson and Murray Baron !

PuckOff

SFink,

That wasn't a bad trade when you look at the Luongo and Thornton trades. Hell look at the Pronger trade if you are looking at another horrible trade.

SFink

While what you say is true, you have to consider that the Turgeon deal was made way before those "money-driven" deals... I mean back in the days of the Turgeon trade teams were not trading players due to budget considerations.

Nowdays most trades involving star players are always lobsided, you would have never seen Jagr get traded for a bunch of nobodies back in the early 90's.

PuckOff

LUongo trade wasn't a salary dump. NEither was Thorntons

SFink

of course they were salary dumps.. dont you think other teams wouldve have given alot more than Bertuzzi to land Luongo ? it's just that teams couldnt afford to have Luongo... samething with Thornton..

But even at that, Bertuzzi is a top player, and so are Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm (im not sayin they are woth Thornton or Luongo here).

While Turgeon who was an all-star 1st line center got dumped for a 3rd liner who couldnt keep his nose clean and a #6 defenseman... and oh yeah they did give Conroy along with Pierre.. LOL.. Thanks Mario Trembay for screwing up the Montreal Canadiens !

PuckOff

Come on!!! You seriously thing they were salary dumps? Other teams were set in goal so they didn't want to trade for him. Vancouver desperately needed a goalie and that's why they threw in Bertuzzi and others. IT was a gamble on Florida's part for sure as I am sure they thought they were going to be getting a premiere power forward in return.

You are calling Brad Stuart and Marco Sturm top players. I think not. Sturm never once got more than 48 points and Stuart is a better than average Dman.

Turgeon was good but not really consistent. THat's why he won't get in the HOF. Don't get me wrong. I think he was a really good player, but he was no super star.

You must be French Canadian

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by PuckOff View Post

You must be French Canadian

I'm sorry but thats funny

SFink

How much you wanna bet about Pierre getting into the hall of fame ??

Not consistent ?!?! LOL .. no superstar ?! LOL you really know your hockey dont you... im sure you consider Wendel Clark a superstar ! LOL... That why I love leafs fans... they idolize gay players

1327 pts in 1294 games !

And I dont give a shit about your "french canadian" comment.. cuz im not canadian... im a Quebecker !

PuckOff

SFink - Step 1. Bend over. Step 2. stuck your middle french canadian finger up your ass.

Wendel Clark was a hitter and grinder who put up decent numbers. HOF material. I doubt it, but if Cam Neely got in anyone can.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Gaybecker.

SFink

Yup Clark is a hitter and a grinder... I believe that I heard Toller Cranston say that

But your quote of Turgeon not beeing consistent certainly tops the list of the top 10 most inacurate comments ever

PuckOff

define consistent for me.

SFink

The guy had an average of over a point per game ! He got injured alot during his final years, but still when he was playing he was producing. Had he not signed with Dallas he would have had alot more points too.

Consistency is when you know that year in and year out you can expect the guy to produce.

Do you consider Mats Sunding as beeing consistent ?

You agree that Luc Robitaille will get into the HOF ?
    Yet he went from 86 pts, to a 4 year span where he failed to get more than 69 pts, then back 74-74-88 points, then down to 50-31-51.... That's beeing inconsistent...

Pierre was a guy you could always count on to produce every year.

PuckOff

Sundin is pretty consistent.

Luc deserves to be in the Hall.

If Pierre signed elsehwere other than Dallas then maybe he would have gotten hit by a puckand died. You just never know.

bigboydan

Sundin is really getting up there in age, and I feel he's really starting to show it too.

PuckOff

I agree with Sundin slowly starting to show his age. Unfortunate really. Hopefully Blak e and Sundin will work out well together. Blake is fast so it's going to be interesting.