QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Canada’s Hockey Dad Walter Gretzky passes away at 82

RIP Walter Gretzky. You raised a hell of a son.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-hockey-d...t-82-1.1602830

Walter Gretzky, the father of hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, has passed away at the age of 82.

The patriarch of hockey’s most famous family, Wayne credits Walter’s coaching on the family’s backyard rink in Brantford, Ont., as the foundation that allowed him to become the NHL’s all-time leading scorer.

Walter was named to the Order of Canada in 2007, “for his contributions to minor hockey in Canada and for his dedication to helping a myriad of local, provincial and national charities.”

Walter Gretzky Elementary School in Brantford was opened and named in his honour in 2012 and he also took part in the final leg of the running of the Olympic torch for the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver.

He wrote two books: On Family, Hockey and Healing in 2003 and Gretzky: From Backyard Rink to the Stanley Cup in 1985.

His wife, Phyllis, died of lung cancer in 2005. He is survived by his children Wayne, Kim, Keith, Glen and Brent, his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11889

People die that's what we do, 82 is solid for a man though. RIP..

Wayne was a hell of a chip off the old block for sure as the saying goes!! Dad Walter was proud I'm sure...

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14733

Oh no! Sad news.
    Did they catch the guy who robbed Walter a few months ago?

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

that man did an excellent job in helping to make the best hockey player ever
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: QuantumLeap

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    Oh no! Sad news.
    RIP. I read a good bit of Wayne Gretzky bio information:

*Spent so many hours on the frozen ice in his back-yard.
    *Preferred baseball as a youth. Wanted to be on the Det tigers.
    *Wayne's vision on the ice was so unique. Set up his "office" behind the net. He saw all the angles, felt like he had EIGHT offensive players b/c he could play the bank-pass off side of net.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Jayvegas420

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    Oh no! Sad news.
    https://www.si.com/hockey/news/man-c...hockey-legends

The man charged in the theft of hundreds of thousands of dollars in memorabilia from Walter Gretzky has had deep ties with some of hockey’s greatest legends, including Bobby Orr, Doug Gilmour and the Gretzky family, TheHockeyNews.com has learned. In fact, in an incredible twist of irony, the man charged was scheduled to be inducted into the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame in Parry Sound, Ont., the same Hall of Fame in which Walter Gretzky was inducted two years ago.

Brantford police confirmed that Ken Hadall, a 58-year-old from Oakville, Ont., was charged with theft over $5,000 and possession over $5,000 in connection to the theft of $500,000 (in U.S. funds, which is about $640,000 in Canadian funds) worth of memorabilia from the Gretzky home. They also confirmed that 58-year-old June Dobson, who is a senior Ontario Provincial Police officer in Grenville County, Ont., has been charged with fraud over $5,000 and breach of trust in connection to a stick from Wayne Gretzky’s childhood that was sold to a memorabilia dealer for $6,000.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1640

R.I.P.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

QL how is it going there in this crazy last year we have been in

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 869

Terrible news....condolences to Wayne & his family

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    QL how is it going there in this crazy last year we have been in

Not bad here. Getting closer to retirement and looking forward to it.

How about you? I may have a chance at a job in Charlotte. What is that city like?

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

QL, sorry i just got back on him.Charlotte aka the queen city is great, it has about anything you would want to do.the traffic is bad, as it got so big so fast and the highways are getting a lot better now, but like most major cities can be super bad at times.the downtown area is one of the best i have ever seen in a large city.imo you would love it.take a getway weekend and come to charlotte and check out the city.

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    QL, sorry i just got back on him.Charlotte aka the queen city is great, it has about anything you would want to do.the traffic is bad, as it got so big so fast and the highways are getting a lot better now, but like most major cities can be super bad at times.the downtown area is one of the best i have ever seen in a large city.imo you would love it.take a getway weekend and come to charlotte and check out the city.
    I think I'll try that if I get any where near a job offer.