Dharmonize
    Aces!
    Dharmonize's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9427

The last time a sports tragedy this bad happened was in 1958 I guess, when the plane with Manchester United crashed in Munich, Germany. But there, "only" 8 players died back then. As for the family members of the Yaroslavl team, some of the players called their beloved ones only minutes before the take-off. One of the players was talking to his young kids and then promised his wife he would call again when they land in Minsk. His last words were "I love you"... Absolutely brutal...

slapshot
    slapshot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23647

the security certificate for the airplane was going to expire in three weeks.

this aircraft had been in use since 1993.

russia has the most domestic incidents in the world...this year 7 incidents.....kongo 2nd with 3.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

it'll be forgotten by sunday.

Dharmonize
    Aces!

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    the security certificate for the airplane was going to expire in three weeks.

this aircraft had been in use since 1993.

russia has the most domestic incidents in the world...this year 7 incidents.....kongo 2nd with 3.
    I read that the plane underwent maintenance just a month ago and one of the old engines was replaced. But I suppose Russians can´t be trusted in this particular field, as everyone involved will try to escape from responsibility.

OGUCCI-SBR
    Bizness
    OGUCCI-SBR's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 557

Quote Originally Posted by Dharmonize View Post
    The last time a sports tragedy this bad happened was in 1958 I guess, when the plane with Manchester United crashed in Munich, Germany. But there, "only" 8 players died back then. As for the family members of the Yaroslavl team, some of the players called their beloved ones only minutes before the take-off. One of the players was talking to his young kids and then promised his wife he would call again when they land in Minsk. His last words were "I love you"... Absolutely brutal...

There was also one in the 1979. Two planes collided and one of em was carrying the Pakhtakor Tashkent team. All passangers in both planes died in the accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Dn...-air_collision

In August 1979, Pakhtakor made it back to the Soviet Top League, but shortly thereafter disaster struck the club and Soviet football. During a flight to play FC Dinamo Minsk, Pakhtakor's plane was involved in a mid-air collision over Dniprodzerzhynsk, Ukraine. All 150 people aboard both planes involved died.
    Seventeen Pakhtakor players and staff members died in the crash.

P.S. ''Interesting'' fact... they were also on their way to Belarus to play Dinamo Minsk.

slapshot

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    it'll be forgotten by sunday.
    sorry but no it won't

Dharmonize
    Aces!

Quote Originally Posted by OGUCCI-SBR View Post
    There was also one in the 1979. Two planes collided and one of em was carrying the Pakhtakor Tashkent team. All passangers in both planes died in the accident.

P.S. ''Interesting'' fact... they were also on their way to Belarus to play Dinamo Minsk.
    Didn´t know that, thanx for info! Very interesting "coincidence" indeed...

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

it won't be forgotten by sunday, but sooner since no sportscast has even mentioned it from thursday afternoon on. so what about that slapshot. they care more about the nfl opener by far.

Miser
    Miser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Sad story

slapshot

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    it won't be forgotten by sunday, but sooner since no sportscast has even mentioned it from thursday afternoon on. so what about that slapshot. they care more about the nfl opener by far.
    it won't be forgotten just becuase it's not mentioned on the news every minute......the manchester united charmain said not a day goes by at old trafford without thoughts of the busby babes team that died outside munich in the 50's.

this tragedy will stay with hockey for a long long time.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Oklahoma State basketball had one of their three planes go down in 2001 killing 10 people.

It doesn't sound like you're from the US but it's shocking to me how few people remember/know about that crash.

Doug Gottlieb was on that team and it's pretty emotional to hear him talk about it. 10th anniversary was in January so there was a fair amount of discussion about it.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

The last time a sports tragedy this bad happened was in 1958
    You're forgetting the Marshall University Football plane crash in 1970 when 75 people were killed.

There is a movie about this tragic event called "We Are Marshall"

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

wow.. just watched that... if you don't tear up, you're not human...

Dharmonize
    Aces!

I didn´t mean to omit or belittle anything, but I really am not from the United states, so I din´t know about those university teams. I was referring to an accident when a fully professional, well-known team went down, as far as my knowledge goes. Of course, in a sense of human tragedy, any such case is terrible, I´m not trying to compare what is worse. A loss of young lives is always the greatest loss...

I saw this video yesterday, Dynamo Minsk dedicated a symbolic victory to the Lokomotiv team... heartbreaking...

(Reyes)
    (Reyes)'s Avatar Become A Pro!

RIP. sad to hear it

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    thanks for sharing

very sad

pauluk
    pauluk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2449

Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
    Just heard that one of the player's mothers had a heart attack and died when she heard about her son

The last thing this needs is more loss of life

that was not true. Mother of Ostapchuk (rumours were exactly about his mother) is alive.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The whole story about this And that all people in attendance actually had game tickets is right here
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp12157

When I read that each player was putting the puck in his own net as a gesture of forfeit I lost it.

MsD9
    MsD9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1146

Still shock by this news...3 days later.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by MsD9 View Post
    Still shock by this news...3 days later.
    Agreed. I don't think anyone realizes how big of a deal this is. Say what you want about it being in Russia but American athletes have a ton of bad flight stories. If this were to happen to an American sports team today it'd get as big coverage as anything on the news for at least a week.

oj-thejuice
    oj-thejuice's Avatar Become A Pro!

R.i.P very very sad

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

RIP

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Just read the only player to survive the crash Alexander Galimov died Monday morning of the severe burns that covered about 90 per cent of his body.

Tragic tragic situation.

RIP all.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

yeah, this is a huge loss in sports. i can't believe there isn't more coverage. And entire team gone...RIP boys

TomJSports
    Go Bayern!!!
    TomJSports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

First 123