bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Edmonton at Carolina, Game 1 Breakdown

GAME: Edmonton Oilers at Carolina Hurricanes
    PLAYOFF SERIES: Stanley Cup finals, Game 1
    TIME: Monday, 8 p.m. EST.

SERIES PRICE: Carolina -155
    Game 1: Carolina -145
    Total: Six 'under' (-150)

When the Edmonton Oilers acquired high-scoring defenseman Chris Pronger after the lockout, he was seen as a key in getting back to the playoffs. The addition of a 36-year-old journeyman goaltender has now allowed them to play for hockey's ultimate prize.

With Dwayne Roloson in net, Edmonton meets the Carolina Hurricanes in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C.

After seeing Ty Conklin, Michael Morrison and Jussi Markkanen all struggle in net, Edmonton acquired Roloson on March 8 from Minnesota for a first-round draft choice and a conditional pick. But Roloson didn't make the best first impression on his new team, allowing 13 goals in losing his first three games.

Playing for the Wild under Jacques Lemaire, Roloson was part of a rotating goaltender system with Manny Fernandez. In a meeting with new coach Craig MacTavish, Roloson said he needed to get back to playing regularly to be at his best.

``I told him I had only played three games since January and it was going to take me some time to play the way I know how to play,' Roloson said. ``He said, 'We've got 20 games and that's all we have to worry about, to get the playoff spot.''

Roloson's 2.42 goals-against average and .905 save percentage were the best among Edmonton's goalies, but he managed only an 8-7-4 record - still good enough to get the Oilers into the playoffs as the eighth seed in the Western Conference.

He has started every playoff game, backstopping Edmonton to an upset of Stanley Cup favorite Detroit. Roloson then shut down San Jose's high-scoring duo of Joe Thornton and Jonathan Cheechoo before helping to defeat Anaheim in five games.

``Our goaltending is well documented,' MacTavish said. ``It's been exceptional.'

Edmonton will remain the underdog in the Finals. Gamblers have a chance to back the Oilers for the series at a plus 135 price. Most books have installed Carolina at minus 155 to drink from Lord Stanley's Cup.

Most offshore websites, including BoDog..com, have made Carolina a minus 145 favorite for Game 1. For bettors looking at the total, an expensive price is the cost (minus 150 at BoDog) of backing the 'under,' which is listed at six. Obviously, the oddsmakers have been paying attention to the stellar net play of Roloson.

Edmonton has advanced farther than any eighth seed since the NHL adopted the current postseason format in 1994, but Roloson has not been the only reason for Edmonton's unexpected success.

Pronger led the Oilers with 13 postseason assists and is tied with Shawn Horcoff for the team lead with 17 points. Edmonton native Fernando Pisani, an 18-goal scorer during the regular season, has a team-high nine in the playoffs.

``I wouldn't feel that we're overachieving,' said left wing Ryan Smyth, who led the Oilers with 36 goals in the regular season. ``I just think we've got some well-rounded depth on our hockey team and it's just a matter of getting an opportunity once you get in the playoffs, and we're making the most of it right now.'

Carolina goaltender Cam Ward also has made the most of an opportunity. His rookie season was spent as a backup to Swiss Olympian Martin Gerber.

The postseason, however, has belonged to the surburban Edmonton native.

The 22-year-old Ward was the Hurricanes' first-round selection in 2002 after Carolina's loss to Detroit in five games in its only other Stanley Cup appearance. He recorded 14 regular-season wins as a rookie, but has played like a seasoned veteran as the second-seeded 'Canes dispatched Montreal and New Jersey before defeating a scrappy Buffalo team in seven games.

Ward, 11-5 with a 2.07 GAA in the postseason, is expected to get the start from head coach Peter Laviolette. That would make Ward the youngest goalie to start a finals game since Patrick Roy with Montreal in 1986.

Laviolette said the first reports he got about Ward from his assistant coaches and the team's minor-league club in Lowell, Mass., was that the youngster had some special qualities.

``The word was that his demeanor was very calm. He didn't get rattled very often,' Laviolette said. ``And he came up and he's been like that all year, regardless of the situation or the circumstances. It's been the same.'

Carolina also boasts the league's leading playoff scorer in Eric Staal. Though he was held off the scoresheet in the final two games of the series against the Sabres, the 21-year-old center has scored 20 points - all coming in a 15-game points streak.

Earlier in the regular season, Carolina added veteran depth on offense by picking up center Doug Weight from St. Louis and Mark Recchi from Pittsburgh in separate trades. Recchi won a Stanley Cup with the Penguins in 1991, but the 35-year-old Weight is making his first finals appearance.

``I came in and just didn't want to disrupt anything,' said Weight, who played with Edmonton from 1992-2001. ``These guys were a great team before, and I told everybody I'm here to fit in and become a cog in the wheel.'

While Carolina has more recent experience in Stanley Cup play, Edmonton has a wealth to draw upon. General manager Kevin Lowe, coach MacTavish and assistants Charlie Huddy and Craig Simpson combined to win 17 titles, most coming with the Oilers' teams led by Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier in the 1980s.

The Oilers are playing for their sixth Stanley Cup and first since 1990 when they defeated Boston. Only Montreal (23), Toronto (13) and Detroit (10) have won more championships.

Edmonton and Carolina share roots in the World Hockey Association, when the Oilers and Hartford Whalers were among four teams absorbed by the NHL in 1979. But the Oilers and 'Canes have not met since Carolina posted a 3-2 road win in December 2003.

Monday's game also marks the Oilers' first visit to Raleigh since a 1-1 tie in November 2001.

Game 2 is scheduled for Wednesday in Raleigh.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Oilers - 95 points, 8th seed; beat Detroit Red Wings 4-2, Western Conference quarterfinals; beat San Jose Sharks 4-2, semifinals; beat Anaheim Mighty Ducks 4-1, finals. Hurricanes - 112 points, 2nd seed; beat Montreal Canadiens 4-2, Eastern Conference quarterfinals; beat New Jersey Devils 4-1, semifinals; beat Buffalo Sabres 4-3, finals.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS: Oilers - Pisani, 9 goals; Pronger, 13 assists; Pronger and Horcoff, 17 points; Georges Laraque, 27 PIM. Hurricanes - Rod Brind'Amour, 9 goals; Staal, 13 assists and 20 points; Justin Williams, 30 PIM.

PLAYOFF SPECIAL TEAMS: Oilers - Power play: 19.8 percent (19 for 96). Penalty killing: 88.5 percent (101 for 114). Hurricanes - Power play: 25.8 percent (22 for 85). Penalty killing: 83.6 percent (77 for 92).

GOALTENDERS: Oilers - Roloson (12-5, 1 SO, 2.22 GAA); Markkanen (NR). Hurricanes - Ward (11-5, 1, 2.07); Gerber (1-1, 1, 3.53).

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9462

I think the casual sports fan will be fooled in this series to think Carolina is the better team based on the regular season and the fact Edmonton is an 8-seed.

Edmonton was 13 games over .500 and just 5 points away from the 5th-seed in the West. They are a very good team playing great hockey right now.

Years ago in the old divisional playoff format, the lower seeded teams often came in with losing records. So while the 4-seed often upset the top teams in the division playoffs, they were usually crushed in the conference semifinals when talent came through in the end.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

At this point we have to look at "Conks" and his overall play in '06

W Col 4-2 Apr 17 (Last game of the year)
    L (S/O) Dal 3-4 Mar 7 (Pulled in O/T for Morrison)
    W Nsh 3-2 Mar 5
    W SJ 3-2 Mar 3
    L Ott 3-5 Jan 14
    L Tor 2-3 Jan 7
    W Chi 5-0 Jan 3

4-2-1 Regulation

Now Let's look at "Juicy"

L STL 2-4 Mar 1 (Chashed after 2 Periods)
    L STL 4-5 Feb 12 (Chashed after 2 goals)
    L COL 1-2 Feb 2
    W ANA 6-3 Jan 25
    L(S/O) PHO 3-4 Jan 21
    L BUF 1-3 Jan 16
    LO/T NYR 4-5 Jan 12
    W PIT 3-1 Jan 10

2-4-2 Regulation in Last 8

As little as we have to go On.. We also should consider something I heard this morning...

If MacT goes to Markinen, and he fails, It's impossible to go back to Conklin... But if He goes Conklin, and he fails, you can also use the backup Markinen..

Initially I thought to play Markinen, but I think Conklin Will, and Rightfully, Play the next game.

I also see him coming up big. The Oilers will change their style to before Rollie the Goalie came into the mix, and adapt a shoot first philosophy again. I can envision Overs the rest of the series, in min 4-3 games. I think this will turn the series upside down for action with the Oilers knowing they must score to win. Remember they have to win 4, not 16. I believe Carolina is worse then San Jose, And Detroit although the Limited Stats do not prove it.

Car Vs Common Playoff Opponent

L 3-4 to San Jose
    W 6-3 Vs Anaheim
    W 3-2 Vs Det

Vs West 7-3 (+DAL, PHO, LA, CHI, CBS, NSH, STL)

Just throwing Sh**t* out there at the moment.. Need something to do at work..

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9462

If only Edmonton had won Game 1, I'd really like their chances even with the backup goalie. Then, he'd have a free game in Game 2 and they would still have home ice.

Problem now is if they lose Game 2, their chances of winning 4of 5 with a backup are very slim.

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

I agree with you 1000% Slew... The Series rides on game 2... San Jose was only possible because of an incredible set of extraordinary circumstances... I watched live the Game 3, 2-1 that Thornton and CHeechoo executed to perfection, just to Have Roli snatch the puck from the top corner.. Anyone else, ANYONE Else... THe Oilers lose that series 4-1 and San Jose is turning the Hurricanes into a Cat 2 Tropical Storm.