BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

What Is The Purpose Of Letting Guys Fight In Hockey?

Never knew why they stop time and let guys fight? Seems kinda silly, everybody just standing around and watching, purists can you help me out?

twelvejewelz
    twelvejewelz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cause its great why else? If you dont like the fights watch ballet

fury
    fury's Avatar Become A Pro!

So that rednecks will watch it.

gohabsgo
    gohabsgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

It's the best way to sell hockey to americans who knows nothing about the game

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Its been a part of the game since day one. You guys are talking about fighting as if they "added it" to the rules in 1995 or something.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

I'd have to say it's just part of the game....There can be a lot of chipiness in this sport, more so than others.....Slashes with the stick, late or cheap hits....Heck even legal hits leads to fights....It's a tough sport in general so when you get a couple of guys on edge the gloves drop....

Also, players will get into fights for the purpose of getting their team pumped up....It might just be known fighter vs. known fighter.....But sometimes you get a fight like in tonights VAN/SJ game...Known tough guy Bieksa vs non fighter Pavelski....Pavelski is more known for his goal scoring....He may not have wont he fight but I am sure his teammates liked the fact he took on a tough guy.....Unfortunately for SJ this fight didn't help them....

Miser
    Miser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17

Also it's a way for players to police themselves

Townie33
    Townie33's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sorry but your a moron and a pussy if you think they should ban fighting. I absolutely cant stand when people say this , they watch 2 hockey games a year and think they have a right to talk about another sport they know nothing about! Fighting has been here since day one! Hockey is the toughest sport to play , period! There is no sport in the world where you have as much toughness , skill , smarts and just plan physically demanding. Iv talked to pro. lax , college basketball players that played a little in the NBA/overseas and former pro football players and all agree playing and being a top Hockey player is harder than any other sport.

DennisGreen
    Update your status
    DennisGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1527

Quote Originally Posted by byronbb View Post
    Its been a part of the game since day one. You guys are talking about fighting as if they "added it" to the rules in 1995 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerHere View Post
    I'd have to say it's just part of the game....There can be a lot of chipiness in this sport, more so than others.....Slashes with the stick, late or cheap hits....Heck even legal hits leads to fights....It's a tough sport in general so when you get a couple of guys on edge the gloves drop.... Also, players will get into fights for the purpose of getting their team pumped up....It might just be known fighter vs. known fighter.....But sometimes you get a fight like in tonights VAN/SJ game...Known tough guy Bieksa vs non fighter Pavelski....Pavelski is more known for his goal scoring....He may not have wont he fight but I am sure his teammates liked the fact he took on a tough guy.....Unfortunately for SJ this fight didn't help them....
    Pavelski? It was Patrick Marleau sir.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Fighting is great. Every sport should really allow fighting. It's a great way for grown men to take out their frustration. Fighting in hockey is used to fire up a team and a lot of the time will change momentum.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Quote Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
    Sorry but your a moron and a pussy if you think they should ban fighting. I absolutely cant stand when people say this , they watch 2 hockey games a year and think they have a right to talk about another sport they know nothing about! Fighting has been here since day one! Hockey is the toughest sport to play , period! There is no sport in the world where you have as much toughness , skill , smarts and just plan physically demanding. Iv talked to pro. lax , college basketball players that played a little in the NBA/overseas and former pro football players and all agree playing and being a top Hockey player is harder than any other sport.
    Youre stupid, reread my words, its a question not a statement.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

If hockey gets really unpopular they might change a rule or two but probably not fighting. If it is not broken do not fix it.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8504

Guess which player hates fighting?

Name:  canucksmay192.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  32.2 KB

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Why do they allow fighting?

1. They don't really, you get a 10 minute penalty, and worse in the last minutes of a game.
    2. The crowd goes crazy
    3. Players get out of line sometimes, sometimes they need to get beaten

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

Nobody would watch hockey if there were no fights.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbawks View Post
    Why do they allow fighting?

1. They don't really, you get a 10 minute penalty, and worse in the last minutes of a game.
    2. The crowd goes crazy
    3. Players get out of line sometimes, sometimes they need to get beaten
    5 minute major for fighting, not 10.

DennisGreen
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Nobody would watch hockey if there were no fights.
    Incorrect. Only hillbilly Americans wouldn't. All of Canada and Europe would continue to watch.

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post
    Incorrect. Only hillbilly Americans wouldn't. All of Canada and Europe would continue to watch.

hockey is so unpopular in europe u have no idea

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

Quote Originally Posted by DennisGreen View Post

Pavelski? It was Patrick Marleau sir.
    oops, brain fart...that's who I meant