Firefox14
    Firefox14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Tv time

Hey guys, just had a quick question while pondering the sports betting game. This is for the more elite cappers, and/or the ones that do it for a living. In my mind, in order to gain an edge, I envision someone who knows sports inside and out. However, to do this, most of the time it requires careful observation of stats, games, players, trades, etc.

What do you think the average time is spent watching television in order to keep up to date with the sports you cap?
    Last edited by Firefox14; 01-12-11 at 09:23 PM.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox14 View Post
    Hey guys, just had a quick question while pondering the sports betting game. This is for the more elite cappers, and/or the ones that do it for a living. In my mind, in order to gain an edge, I envision someone who knows sports inside and out. However, to do this, most of the time it requires careful observation of stats, games, players, trades, etc.

What do you think the average time is spent watching television in order to keep up to date with the sports you cap?
    For most pros, 0. No time at all watching game. Anything you need to know is in the extended box score and play-by-play. Modelers (which all the bigger groups use as far as I know) can get almost any bit of useful data that exists from these.

The one thing that isn't in the box score is injuries. You need a separate source for these to adjust game by game.

Cobra07751
    Cobra07751's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    For most pros, 0. No time at all watching game. Anything you need to know is in the extended box score and play-by-play. Modelers (which all the bigger groups use as far as I know) can get almost any bit of useful data that exists from these. The one thing that isn't in the box score is injuries. You need a separate source for these to adjust game by game.
    I have to disagree. There are a lot of garbage yards in football games when the game is a blowout. Same in Basketball. Stats do matter, but I watch as many games as I can, and read the RECAP of games. For the BCS title game I went back and read every RECAP of for both teams. Result, won a gang of money on Auburn and the under.

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra07751 View Post
    I have to disagree. There are a lot of garbage yards in football games when the game is a blowout. Same in Basketball. Stats do matter, but I watch as many games as I can, and read the RECAP of games. For the BCS title game I went back and read every RECAP of for both teams. Result, won a gang of money on Auburn and the under.
    You can't tell when you're in garbage time by reading the play-by-play? Up 20 with 8 minutes in 4th quarter, and the team keeps passing for 8-10 yards...

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

All you need to know is in the numbers.

illfuuptn
    illfuuptn's Avatar Become A Pro!

^^^^^Sharpcat is so bad. Do not listen to that bs.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's not BS. You can get all the info you need on the Internet.

horsiehung
    horsiehung's Avatar Become A Pro!

such a good point...i know many people that NEED to watch a game to have 'action'!!!
    i once saw a 60 minutes episode of a huge sports bettor who hates to watch games he's on..interesting

moneymaker521
    moneymaker521's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

i dont watch the games i bet on either, way too stressful

Raybolts
    Look At What We're Dealing With
    Raybolts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1188

If yer sweatin' too much, your betting too much

Firefox14
    Firefox14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Interesting. No television, radio, magazines, etc. Just hard-nosed stats...

Insoluble
    Insoluble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

The sports betting market is similar to the stock market. Its possible to study every single company and read every interview with CEO's to determine a company's worth in the marketplace.

But its also possible to study the supply and demand of a company's stock offering and monitor the technical indicators regarding a stocks price movement to give you the same ability to forecast the value of a stock.

In fact, being a more numbers based guy, I would much rather depend on the technical and statistical trends I see than the qualitative aspects which can often be distorted by the media. There are many different ways to skin a cat, I prefer the statistical approach
    Points Awarded:

Firefox14 gave Insoluble 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.