EasyHustlin
    EasyHustlin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

15 betpoints to whoever can help me with some sportsdatabase queries

I'm trying to find stats on NBA first quarter ties.

My first query is "season=2009 and (P1=o:P1)" to get an idea of how many games had a 1st quarter tie in in 09-10. The results show 83 games, which I know is not right, there should be a lot more.. for some reason there are no games showing prior to 1/12/10...

Then I want to find out, of those games that had a 1st quarter tie, how many of them had a 2nd quarter that was won by the home team? So my query is "season=2009 and ((P1=o:P1) and (h:P2>o:P2))" The results show 78 games, but now the dates are off from the query before... now there are games showing from 10/27/09 and on. I am trying to get the dates of games to align so that I can get some consistent data here!

Also, in my second query, it only works when I use o:P2, but doesn't work if I use a:P2 (a = away team). Same thing is true if I try f:P2 and d:P2 (f = favorite and d = dog). What am I doing wrong here? I am new to all this.

Will give 15 points to whoever gives the earliest/most complete answer. Thanks!

davidchong
    davidchong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 697

mail the database.....

Flight
    Update your status
    Flight's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yah it might be helpful to know what database you are talking about.

EasyHustlin

Is a link what you're looking for? http://sportsdatabase.com/nba.py/que...1&submit=query

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

I could tell by the query language this was an SPQL issue.
    The founder of that DB, a professor Meyer, is a regular poster at EOG now. You might want to just ask him yourself.
    Also, there is a forum attached to that database, a yahoo forum, iirc, where you can get your Q answered.

Pokerjoe

Actually, I had it bookmarked. Google group, not yahoo, obv.

http://groups.google.com/group/sportsdatabase

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5949

You're a first year grad student. You just got finished reading some "how to beat the pointspread" -- Bobby Smith, probably -- you gunna' be convinced of that till next month when you get to Sonny Reizner, then you're gunna' be talkin' about how the economies of Las Vegas and Atlantic City were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gunna' last until next year, you're gunna' be in here regurgitatin' Howard Schwartz. Talkin' about, you know, the point spread Utopia and the capital forming effects of parlay betting.
    Points Awarded:

LegitBet gave Sledge187 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

LegitBet gave Sledge187 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Pokerjoe

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post
    You're a first year grad student. You just got finished reading some "how to beat the pointspread" -- Bobby Smith, probably -- you gunna' be convinced of that till next month when you get to Sonny Reizner, then you're gunna' be talkin' about how the economies of Las Vegas and Atlantic City were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gunna' last until next year, you're gunna' be in here regurgitatin' Howard Schwartz. Talkin' about, you know, the point spread Utopia and the capital forming effects of parlay betting.

You're from an interesting planet.

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Delete me

JohnAnthony
    JohnAnthony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

God Bless SBR (for the last 3 posts)

LegitBet
    steelers
    LegitBet's Avatar Become A Pro!

Don't you guys see what Slegde was doing!! Made me smile...it's the Matt Damon character from 'Good Will Hunting'!
    remember when he confronted that 'smart' guy in the bar..the whole do you like apples thing?
    nice job..don't know whether those are crucial reads, but my sense of humor for sure..thanks
    andrew

EasyHustlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post