mdemps9190
    mdemps9190's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7237

Line movement in baseball

So line movement and late money and such is a big part of my capping process for basketball and sometimes football. I was wondering if line movement was as telling in baseball as it is in hoops. I mean linesmakers/sharps have very good ideas on sports like basketball as it's very matchup based, but with baseball players are independently effecting the outcome of games and can be hot or cold much more than a cold player on a basketball team would effect a game. What I'm asking is, is a large ML change at pinny within the closing hour as significant as it can be in hoops? Thanks for any info guys.

mdemps9190

Bump. Nobody has an answer?

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

There's a lot of movement in the last 90 minutes when lineups are finalized. That is one source of movement. a lot of pro players don't even bet until they see these lineups.

I think the line movement is every bit as significant as in other sports - the closer to post, the more accurate the line is.

DBaseball23
    DBaseball23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 180

Wheres the best place to check the lineups once the manager posts??

tachi
    tachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 703

many people watch the late line movements
    and the bookies know this.
    of course they want to deceive the players.

mdemps9190

Quote Originally Posted by tachi View Post
    many people watch the late line movements and the bookies know this. of course they want to deceive the players.
    Gotta say that the majority of gamblers don't do this though.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

The thing about watching baseball line moves is that it's a lot harder to read. In basketball, the line moves on the spread are better defined. Moneylines are a different animal and you just need time watching to learn how to interpret the movements.

I would say earlier in the season, the line movements are far less important (true of all sports), as there is very little current season data to go on and no one really knows who's going to excel and who's going to tank this season. After a month, each pitcher has had a few starts and the teams offenses have demonstrated what they're capable of.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by mdemps9190 View Post
    I mean linesmakers/sharps have very good ideas on sports like basketball as it's very matchup based, but with baseball players are independently effecting the outcome of games and can be hot or cold much more than a cold player on a basketball team would effect a game.
    Whatever you meant with that statement, I would rethink it. Sharps have a much better grip on baseball precisely because less depends on matchups/style. Also, any outside influence on a player's performance will swing a basketball outcome much more than a baseball outcome, both because a single basketball player typically has more effect on the game than a baseball player(non-pitchers atleast), and because there are more outside factors which could effect a basketball player's performance than ones that could effect a baseball player's performance.