Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Any of you guys have an Umpire site

Where you can find out who is where (home plate and bases) before the game starts. I had a good one for years on twitter but they haven't updated their site since the 18th. Covers will show you when the game starts and you can pretty much tell the rest of the series but this site gave you the umps for the first game of the series. Anyone?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

I use Swish Analytics for all things umpiring Thor.

Bookmark this, you'll be glad you did.

https://swishanalytics.com/mlb/mlb-umpire-factors
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave stevenash 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mike Huntertz gave stevenash 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: kingwopper, and TheMoneyShot

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I use Swish Analytics for all things umpiring Thor.

Bookmark this, you'll be glad you did.

https://swishanalytics.com/mlb/mlb-umpire-factors

ill check this out. Looks good so far. Thanks Nasher

Thor4140

Hey Nasher is there a trick with this site where i can find out who is doing the bases. what it offer me is great but getting all the bases saves me some time. I like to know where the HP umps are for the weekend as soon as i can. Like for instance the mets game has started so i know Mahrley, and Carapazza are doing Saturday and Sunday. the other games tonight i wont know till the game starts. its just a time saver nothing else for me but i still appreciate the site. At least i know who is doing HP before the game starts.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    Hey Nasher is there a trick with this site where i can find out who is doing the bases. what it offer me is great but getting all the bases saves me some time. I like to know where the HP umps are for the weekend as soon as i can. Like for instance the mets game has started so i know Mahrley, and Carapazza are doing Saturday and Sunday. the other games tonight i wont know till the game starts. its just a time saver nothing else for me but i still appreciate the site. At least i know who is doing HP before the game starts.

Swish Analytics used to provide all the umpiring rotations, ever since they tinkered with the site, I don't see it any longer.
    I don't use Swish like I used to it the past because there's just so much data out there at your finger tips.

I know you're sharp, but I'm going to ask anyway, you do know umpires rotate clockwise from game to game of each series.
    For instance the HPU in game one of a four game set moves to third base in game two, third base to second base, etc. etc. etc.
    So you know which ump gets what assignment in every game of a series .
    All umpiring crews stick together the entire season, there's 76 full time umps, divided into 19 crews.
    Here're this years crews.

https://www.closecallsports.com/2023...r-call-up.html

Are you looking for something like this?
    https://www.closecallsports.com/
    This is a great site by the way.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6231

Anyone had success so far following these stats

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    Anyone had success so far following these stats
    I know some who target particular umpires when they are assigned balls and strikes.
    Certain umpires have certain tendencies.
    Some have a liberal strike zone, some a stingy strike zone.
    The hard part for the handicapper is keeping track of what crew is where, and what umpire has what assignment.

It's difficult enough for me to keep track of today's thirty starting pitchers, no less the 15 HPU's tonight.

But I know some that do track umpiring crews, and handicap accordingly and do allright.
    It's time consuming, like a full time job.

Thor4140

What you gave me is just fine I just have to work a tad harder than i use to. No biggie. I got spoiled with my other site but yours in some ways is better. Thanks again.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 155

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    What you gave me is just fine I just have to work a tad harder than i use to. No biggie. I got spoiled with my other site but yours in some ways is better. Thanks again.
    You have to be the biggest clown here. His answer was I have to sink the next website. you are so pathetic.

slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10384

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    You have to be the biggest clown here. His answer was I have to sink the next website. you are so pathetic.
    lol

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

look umpires will move strike zones when batter is hugging plate and call strikes that are balls and brother can win huge getting family or friends to place bets for him

wise guys sharps know when certain umpires favor other team because of players they despise

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    look umpires will move strike zones when batter is hugging plate and call strikes that are balls and brother can win huge getting family or friends to place bets for him

wise guys sharps know when certain umpires favor other team because of players they despise
    A lot of HPU's will move their strike zone around depending on the pitch count.

I know I've stated numerous times I used to be a catcher.
    Reason being as a catcher I've learned a lot of things that can't be taught out of a text book.
    I realize some of you played the game, and some of you probably were better at it than me.

Back to the point at hand.
    I've heard batters after getting rung up looking on a say a borderline 1-2 pitch count "Come on ump, that pitch was outside off the black"

To which I've heard the HPU reply back "Maybe, maybe not, but with two strikes on you you can't afford to be taking close borderline pitches that can be called either way, now go back to the dugout before I eject you for arguing balls and strikes"

I miss the playing days.
    Catching is the most interesting position on the field.
    Not only am I privy to the banter of the HPU that only the batter and I hear, you see things on the field no other position players can being that he is positioned looking out towards the outfield, not inward looking at home plate for starters.

There's a reason why the call it "the tools of ignorance"
    Catchers take skull breaking, brain rattling head on collisions so fierce that unless you caught baseball games, or went twelve rounds with De La Hoya you can only imagine how that feels.

Ask Buster Posey how that Scott Cousins shot felt.
    So bad that a brand new rule was born, the "Cousins Rule"

Better yet.
    Ask Fosse how he felt the morning after that All Star game when Pete Rose barrelled into him.
    Or not, he probably doesn't even remember.

OldBill

just thinking if i was able to be umprie in MLB woooooooooo weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i'd be rich with borderline calls favoring the dog

+120 + 140 etc...

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22628

Great stuff guyz.
    I've been using Covers and now they have this constant annoying pop up ad.....any suggestions for a new site?
    Thanxs

OldBill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    Great stuff guyz.
    I've been using Covers and now they have this constant annoying pop up ad.....any suggestions for a new site?
    Thanxs

mike get free adblocker for fire fox adblock or go to paid version to stop those ads everywhere

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22628

Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    mike get free adblocker for fire fox adblock or go to paid version to stop those ads everywhere
    Food for thought thanxs Bill

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post

Thanks for chiming in. Appreciate your insight.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    Great stuff guyz.
    Thanxs

jeez i notice that today also. i just signed up for what they wanted and it went away. I may get some unwanted email but it didn't cost anything.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10335

Now, if we can see Hernandez in another vocation were he can do less damage.

~~~~~~

Major League Baseball umpire loses appeal of discrimination lawsuit

JONATHAN STEMPEL
    AUGUST 15, 2023

By Jonathan Stempel
    NEW YORK (Reuters) -A federal appeals court on Tuesday refused to revive longtime umpire Angel Hernandez's lawsuit accusing Major League Baseball of racial discrimination.
    In a 3-0 decision, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan rejected the Cuban-born umpire's arguments that the league's promotion practices, including its failure to promote him to crew chief, reflected unfair treatment of minorities.
    -

Hernandez, an MLB umpire since 1993, claimed he had been discriminated against because he was passed over for crew chief five times between 2011 and 2018, and last umpired a World Series in 2005.
    He also said Joe Torre, who was MLB's chief baseball officer when Hernandez sued in 2017, had a "history of animosity" toward him dating from when the Hall of Famer managed the New York Yankees between 1996 and 2007.
    In Tuesday's decision, the appeals court said that despite a "bottom-line imbalance" between white and minority crew chiefs, Hernandez failed to show a statistically significant disparity in promotion rates.
    It also rejected Hernandez's claim that U.S. District Judge Paul Oetken, whose March 2021 dismissal of the lawsuit was upheld, erred in accepting MLB's reasons for not promoting the umpire despite alleged evidence that the explanation was pretextual.
    Among the league's reasons were a missed home run call in 2013 that Hernandez failed to acknowledge, and what Torre called Hernandez's "overly confrontational style."
    Oetken said Hernandez did not show he was so much better qualified that discrimination might be inferred when MLB awarded plum assignments to less senior umpires.
    Lawyers for Hernandez did not immediately respond to requests for comment. MLB spokesman Michael Teevan declined to comment.
    Hernandez has been regarded as among the more controversial MLB umpires, at times drawing scrutiny for apparent missed calls.
    In 2020, MLB named Kerwin Danley its first black crew chief and Alfonso Marquez its first Hispanic crew chief born outside the United States. The first Hispanic crew chief was Richie Garcia, who was elevated to that role in 1985.
    The case is Hernandez v. Office of the Commissioner of Baseball et al, 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 22-343.
    (Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York