OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

IS College sports still fixed today .......

as per old time MOB Boss A former mob boss explains how to influence a college football game's final score with relative ease!

Michael Franzese knows a fixed game when he sees one.
    "I usually do [recognize it], yes," the former New York mobster said. "Especially garbage points."
    Remember that the next time you see a late, seemingly meaningless touchdown or a field goal that winds up covering the point spread or affecting the over/under.

Also, remember that as we enter this new age of legalized sports gambling in college athletics. Franzese is one of the few educated voices who can lead us through this wilderness.

As a powerful mafia boss with the Colombo crime family, he reportedly pulled in as much as $8 million per week from his business dealings.

Oh yeah, and he fixed games.
    Franzese is long since reformed as one of the few bosses at his level to renounce the mob and live. He has built a speaking business, writes books, produces movies and continues to talk candidly about his past.
    That's why CBS Sports sought out the 67-year-old for a story about the "integrity" of the game. He wound up describing for us how one could go about fixing a college football game.
    That prospect might be the No. 1 fear of college administrators as we enter the new era of legal sports gambling.

Whether above-board sports betting will increase the likelihood of fixing has yet to be answered. The only known is that it is still out there.
    "I would say this," Franzese said, "It's an extension of their [players'] competitive spirit. They like to compete, and gambling is a way of competing."
    He added: "The mentality of these kids today, they're more apt to do it than in my day."

Why?
    "They're more willing to take a chance. They're less likely to follow rules."
    What follows is a detailed description of how to fix a game, via Franzese. Remember, it's not so much about determining the outcome; it's about affecting the point spread.

1. Start with an athlete who gets "upside down" -- loses a lot of money with a bookie. Instead of a street bookie strong-arming the player, he would let him continue betting -- and losing -- more. "We used to purposefully put [that sort of bettor] in the situation that you wanted," Franzese explained.

2. Present a way for them to get even: Shave points. If the spread is 10, the mark might be instructed get the final margin to two touchdowns. If it is 13, a couple of timely turnovers might push the final margin to 20. "If you don't do this a couple of times, then don't worry," Franzese told his marks on many occasions, "you don't have to call me anymore. I'll find you."

He added: "If you got a senior who is really not going anywhere [as a professional] and who needs the money, you get close to him and get friendly with him. You can put it in his head that, 'Hey, by the way, would you like to have 50, 60, 70 grand put away?

"With football, it's got to be somebody significant. It's got to be a running back, it's got to be a linebacker, it's got to be a quarterback. You tell the quarterback, 'Listen, the first three times you get the ball, put it in the hands of the other player.' Tell a running back the same thing. 'If you get your hands on the ball twice, you drop it.' It's stuff like that that can turn the game around and really impact the spread.

"It doesn't work every time because there are certain things in a game you can't control. But like I said, 'If you have control of a player over a period of time, it will work.'"

3. Attempt to get in the pocket of the referees officiating the game. The prospect of officials being compromised chills the blood of college administrators. College officials are contract workers who have other full-time jobs and are paid by the game. In college football, that number can range from $1,000 to $3,000 per contest.

"If you take a referee, whether it is football or basketball, referees are very susceptible because they can have a tremendous impact on the spread," Franzese said. "It's Christmas time and the guy needs a few extra bucks. He goes to his trusted friend or his cousin and says, 'Listen, put this bet this way for me.' They can call a foul not call a foul, call a penalty not call a penalty.

"You can move the spread so easily. So to think that it doesn't happen, I've spoken to a number of referees. I've had them complain, 'You've got to get the league more on top of this. There is stuff going on there that we don't like.'"

Only the sloppy get caught, it seems. The last college football betting scandal dates back to 2005. A small number of Toledo players were involved in a bribery scheme. One player was alleged to have been paid $100 to fumble.

The definition of sloppy: For two seasons, Las Vegas gaming officials had questions about the amount of money wagered on Toledo games. In the end, three former Toledo players were sentenced to probation in 2015.

4. Be smart with your bets. The point spread can be affected by many factors -- weather and injuries among them. But when the spread moves because a large amount of money is wagered, that gets the attention of the FBI. The bets Franzese is talking about wouldn't rise to that level. There would be enough small bets spread around to various sports books. There would be no spike in betting to notice.

"It's not hard if you have a significant player over the course of a season or a couple of a games," he said. "You like to get somebody that you have in your pocket, that you have something on who can definitely have a bearing on the game. Over the course of the season, it's tough because people get rattled, things change. If you can get a guy for a couple of games, you're doing OK."

There are reasons why there haven't been a lot of college football betting scandals. Yes, college basketball games are much easier to influence. But also ... we don't know what we don't know. Nefarious influencers don't post when they are going to fix a game.
    "If someone is going to fix a game, they're not going to do it through legal channels," said gaming analyst Todd Fuhrman of SportsLine, a CBS Sports brand. "At Toledo, it's one rogue individual [making the bets]. It would be damn near impossible with that kind of money through legal channels to make it financially viable for those perpetrators [to fix games]."
    Another man who has been closer to it than most agrees.
    "The only time something happens is when somebody gets in trouble," Franzese said. "[That's] when somebody talks. A player gets stupid."

ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Half-times, yeah, very likely many times a year?
    If a college basketball hot-shot can grab a few hundred bucks or maybe even a few K's, yep, Mr. Temptation will always be there. It may, of course, take the whole team to conspire, or maybe, just 2 or 3 standouts on the team?

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

There is no question some college games get fixed each year.

nick1976
    nick1976's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 441

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise1965 View Post
    There is no question some college games get fixed each year.
    define "some"?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Michael Franzese a compulsive liar

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

probably the easiest sport to shave points right?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19599

Franzese is a lying sack of shit looking for (and unfortunately getting) money and attention. If he had as many players in his pocket as he has previously claimed, at least one of them somewhere would have gone to the FBI and he'd have been busted. Obviously, the occasional fix will happen but in this day and age where one can easily and secretly record anything and everything, if widespread fixing occurred it wouldn't be long before it would be revealed.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Franzese is a lying sack of shit looking for (and unfortunately getting) money and attention. If he had as many players in his pocket as he has previously claimed, at least one of them somewhere would have gone to the FBI and he'd have been busted. Obviously, the occasional fix will happen but in this day and age where one can easily and secretly record anything and everything, if widespread fixing occurred it wouldn't be long before it would be revealed.
    yep just a conman that uses the church to gain wealth

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

When a player keeps missing wide open shots and free throws and the coach doesn't bench him you know the coach is on the fix. Easiest way to fix games. No one is going to blame the coach because his player sucks.

jjgold

It’s too easy to get caught with the technology today you can’t get away with it unless it’s small

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11818

I remember the BC players fixed a game and i knew it was going to be fixed. I went to 4 smoke shops and called 6 bookies and they all had game off the board. Everybody knew game was going to be fixed!!

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11818

The reason i knew is because Rick Kuhn lived a mile away from me and he called and told a couple of friends about the fix and it didnt take long for the fix to get out!!

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Yes Vega man bookies bust the games they can tell when shits fishy

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

Gamblers think things are fixed because they view the world through that lens. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s pretty obviously barely a thing. As noted everything is recorded and leaked and reported on these days and if there was any real smoke there we’d have seen the fire by now. Sort of like cow tipping

jjgold

The problem is everyone squeals or chirps if someone tries it

A best trusted friend the bettor and one player you can play games a little and make a few bucks or at least have an edge but nothing to get rich

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22604

All the games I lose are fixed!

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 460

Remy Martin looked suspect down the stretch in Friday's game vs Providence. Kansas did not cover 6.5

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16303

Then there was Michael Franzese,yea tell that guy i want to see him!

captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10752

You guys should try that miracle water .

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Scamming

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

basically zero. it can happen maybe in division three but top notch players are not only watched carefully but what star will toss a game for 100 dollars or more. and what crime syndicate will attempt to bribe an entire team with thousands when they can take that same money and place it in more fruitful crime.

you may find some low life who has an in with a decent division three player and he offers him candy man to throw a game or shave points. but even if a star is on the take what guarantee is there that his efforts will shave the points. suppose other players make up the difference. it is just too much of a risk for a small pay day. it basically doesn't happen especially in division one and division two. even when it was possible the number of games fully fixed was very very small.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 392

oh and license books are no coordinated so close to the action that they know when they see unusual betting. so that basically eliminates the possibility of gross misconduct. just too difficult when a criminal can make hundreds of millions with drugs. you gotta be a really stupid criminal to look to fix games. really stupid.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

I knew that kids on campus booking the teams games easily fixed them in football n baskets they knew a certain player would leave at half time because of religous things or other things or players them selves bet the other side on credit guarnteeing them a $500 pay out
    Vegas cant stop it but you cannot get on a fixed game in vegas they know when somethings up and game is off board and comes up with new spread.

BE so funny sharps out there hit both sides like the fav becaomes a dog or some other heavy point move

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    You guys should try that miracle water .

Who's uglier, Popoff, or George Lopez?

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

thinwhiteduke
    thinwhiteduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 855

It's fixed by corporations.
    No need for outside mafia.

JacketFan81
    GO GEORGIA TECH!
    JacketFan81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3920

Worst part is now with NIL they can fix the games and it's totally legal. Just hire him to be the "official spokesperson" of whatever front business you're running (restaurant/club/shop/etc).

Kaplan
    Kaplan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 865

Franzese is a piece of work. Every time I see a video with this tool, I cringe. So full of shit.