EasyTiger
    EasyTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2990

Mimic an Exchange using Live Betting

Has anyone tried to mimic an exchange using live betting? For example, I place a wager (back) a favorite and then profit or limit losses by betting on the losing team or player with a live wager. This could also obviously be done in reverse by taking an underdog (laying the favorite) and then once they are ahead place a live wager on the other side to lock in a profit. Is there a specific formula or calculator that would help with this process? I'm assuming that I can just use the Arbitrage Calculator that SBR offers? Anyone have experience doing this? Do the offshore books allow this?
    Last edited by EasyTiger; 07-18-21 at 10:59 AM.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

This is a really good question.

The problem is, you are doing yourself a major disfavor by doing this.

You are paying the vig on both bets. With the live juice higher, you are paying even more. If the side you bet is winning, it is almost certainly better to let it ride, unless there is a massive misprice live.

Do the math on it, figure out for yourself.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21689

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    This is a really good question.

The problem is, you are doing yourself a major disfavor by doing this.

You are paying the vig on both bets. With the live juice higher, you are paying even more. If the side you bet is winning, it is almost certainly better to let it ride, unless there is a massive misprice live.

Do the math on it, figure out for yourself.
    They key to overcoming this is to use many different outs, which is certainly a challenge to follow live. But if you have at least 4-5 different linesets, I believe you will see enough difference to make the true vig very very low, and sometimes positive. But it's easy to miss numbers with moves. Not for the faint at heart.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by EasyTiger View Post
    Has anyone tried to mimic an exchange using live betting? For example, I place a wager (back) a favorite and then profit or limit losses by betting on the losing team or player with a live wager. This could also obviously be done in reverse by taking an underdog (laying the favorite) and then once they are ahead place a live wager on the other side to lock in a profit. Is there a specific formula or calculator that would help with this process? I'm assuming that I can just use the Arbitrage Calculator that SBR offers? Anyone have experience doing this? Do the offshore books allow this?
    Might be easier to just bet on who scores first.

That would probably determine if you could hedge out for a live profit in many cases anyway.

EasyTiger

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Might be easier to just bet on who scores first.

That would probably determine if you could hedge out for a live profit in many cases anyway.
    I guess that's one way to do it. Rapid fire for sure

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7298

10 Year old video that was posted here by Justin7 a long time ago. Similar concept here, except instead of measuring the implied odds (your original bet vs current line, you would be measuring your likely winning % against the current live odds). This video help to vastly increase my understanding of this concept. I hope you find it useful.

Points Awarded:

semibluff gave Waterstpub87 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

EasyTiger gave Waterstpub87 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Optional

EasyTiger

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    10 Year old video that was posted here by Justin7 a long time ago. Similar concept here, except instead of measuring the implied odds (your original bet vs current line, you would be measuring your likely winning % against the current live odds). This video help to vastly increase my understanding of this concept. I hope you find it useful.
    Thanks for this. Going to check it out.