grey area
    grey area's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1622

I make a lot of money every month outside of sports but still only bet 20- 120 a game mostly, a few rare times have bet a books max and payed dearly doing so

tsty
    tsty's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4345

I hope this is a troll lol

Money made is all that matters

tsty

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Saying you have to have a lot of money to be a good handicapper is the same as saying only rich ppl are born intelligent.
    What? How is that even remotely the same?

How are you a moderator?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

my $1 bets probably high higher % than my $100 bets

tsty

This thread reminds of the basketball players that dominate the rec league who think they could take an nba player in 1v1

basketball is basketball right

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

I think I said that just in a way nicer way in my post above, dont you agree?

keel44
    Update your status
    keel44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12276

It is not about how much, it is the why. You better come up with logical reasons in reference to the line as to why you chose a side or total. It also must be sustainable and repeatable for many trials.

Case Closed.
    Last edited by keel44; 08-21-18 at 01:13 AM.

tsty

Quote Originally Posted by keel44 View Post
    It is not about how much, it is the why. You better come up with logical reasons in reference to the line as to why you chose a side or total. It also must be sustainable and repeatable for many trials.

Case Closed.
    huh? you don't need to come with a reason

the model does that

keel44
    Update your status

Models have reasons....most people dont have models or GOOD reasons

tsty

Models have reasons....most people dont have models or GOOD reasons
    most people are not sportsbettors

what's your point?

keel44
    Update your status

Case Closed.

Read this again. This describes what a good handicapper must do. The amount of their bankroll does not matter. It is the methodology.

danshan11

In the end, don't study winners to see what caused them; study the process to see whether it consistently led to success.
    Last edited by danshan11; 08-21-18 at 12:22 PM.

danshan11

It is amazing the number of people who will tail a complete loser because he is + after 10 or 20 games. You ONLY win if you can set a fair line and that fair line when you bet is sharper than the line you bet at.
    You bet the Yankees at -150 and they close -180 you are doing good and if you can sustain that over 100s of games you MIGHT have a chance
    you bet the Yankees -150 and they close -155 you are dead, maybe you are still squirming but you are dead!

if you can do the first scenario you more than likely after 100s of games will see sustained growth MAYBE
    if you can do scenario 2 you WILL keep adding money to your book account FOR SURE

tsty

Read this again. This describes what a good handicapper must do. The amount of their bankroll does not matter. It is the methodology.
    yeh im sure the best sportsbettor in the world has a 1k bankroll right lol

What you guys are arguing is that an investment firm that deals in the thousands is superior to one that deals in the millons just because they might have a higher roi...

investing is investing right?

it doesnt matter how big their portfolio is right

fking lol so much delusion from people betting peanuts

keel44
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by tsty View Post
    yeh im sure the best sportsbettor in the world has a 1k bankroll right lol

What you guys are arguing is that an investment firm that deals in the thousands is superior to one that deals in the millons just because they might have a higher roi...

investing is investing right?

it doesnt matter how big their portfolio is right

fking lol so much delusion from people betting peanuts
    You got to start somewhere.

SportsSharingun
    SportsSharingun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 86

I think someone with a small bankroll, such as myself, can be a good bettor.

However my opinion of this is analogous to playing in professional sports. Can you perform under all the lights, or are you someone that can only make a jumpshot in practice?

If you're operating on a 50k bankroll, and you're making unit bets of 1k each, can you retain your discipline/calm to pick good EV bets when you risk losing a thousand dollars? Can you retain that discipline to not chase bets at that amount?

So in that sense I think winning with a larger bankroll shows more, than winning with a smaller one, but obviously there's good bettors operating with smaller (for now) bankrolls.

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by SportsSharingun View Post
    I think someone with a small bankroll, such as myself, can be a good bettor.

However my opinion of this is analogous to playing in professional sports. Can you perform under all the lights, or are you someone that can only make a jumpshot in practice?

If you're operating on a 50k bankroll, and you're making unit bets of 1k each, can you retain your discipline/calm to pick good EV bets when you risk losing a thousand dollars? Can you retain that discipline to not chase bets at that amount?

So in that sense I think winning with a larger bankroll shows more, than winning with a smaller one, but obviously there's good bettors operating with smaller (for now) bankrolls.

the game drastically changes when I was betting 250s I could see way easier returns than when I jumped up to 3k bets. 250s you can get down anywhere can get opening lines and more at 3k you are competing against seasoned lines and not betting until after last game first pitch night before at best and really risking getting limited. I personally have never got limited at pinnacle but I think people say they do but I never was good enough or made enough to make them consider it. I am a brand new rookie at this and I already can say if you beat the line at 250 there is a good chance if you moved to 2500 per you might not be able to beat the line and for sure wont have the same bets.

SportsSharingun

Interesting, I'm not at that bankroll but thats good to know. That explains why those books can handle pro customers. Have you ever been limited at bookmaker?

danshan11

Interesting, I'm not at that bankroll but thats good to know. That explains why those books can handle pro customers. Have you ever been limited at bookmaker?
    I would never use bookmaker, I have a hard time even competing against pinnacles margins besides a few cents higher, there is no way I would stand a chance to win at a few cents higher per line.

SportsSharingun

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    I would never use bookmaker, I have a hard time even competing against pinnacles margins besides a few cents higher, there is no way I would stand a chance to win at a few cents higher per line.
    Thanks. Definitely keep this in mind down the line.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Like many people betting....management gets me every fuckn time....betting 100's on shit I don't like bc I'm up....then bankroll down betting games I LOVE LOVE small lol......we have all been there before.....Discipline is tough when mixed with anger....$ problems ect.....there is more to betting than picking the right side.... and like TATTDY did...sometimes (which I respect) he knew that if your head is messed up and you cant give 100% to the focus....you might as well pull out completely...

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

but I am A LITTLE TORN HERE....KIND OF LIKE WHEN hugO BETS MMA.....THE sheer number of Units he has out in 1 night is insanity and shows a long term grind or a GIGANTIC account....of 10K-20K plus....which TO ME is a big bankroll.....when a bettor can simply say they live bet or martingaled a huge loss....it just not that easy to believe......
    Can a $10 Bettor be as good as a $500+ Bettor?

If so, then why do some poke fun at others who make very small wagers?

If you're good, you're good, right?

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    but I am A LITTLE TORN HERE....KIND OF LIKE WHEN hugO BETS MMA.....THE sheer number of Units he has out in 1 night is insanity and shows a long term grind or a GIGANTIC account....of 10K-20K plus....which TO ME is a big bankroll.....when a bettor can simply say they live bet or martingaled a huge loss....it just not that easy to believe......
    for minimal risk of death and good return bet 1.XX to win 1% of bankroll on faves and .XX to win 1% of bankroll on dogs. this strategy will never do you wrong BUT BEFORE you do any of that know who you are, are you a rec bettor if so have fun and this will make your money last the longest if you want to make money DONT BET until you KNOW you actually have an EDGE.
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave danshan11 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SportsSharingun

for minimal risk of death and good return bet 1.XX to win 1% of bankroll on faves and .XX to win 1% of bankroll on dogs. this strategy will never do you wrong BUT BEFORE you do any of that know who you are, are you a rec bettor if so have fun and this will make your money last the longest if you want to make money DONT BET until you KNOW you actually have an EDGE.
    Do you personally think its best to set up bets so that the bet= 1 unit or that the winnings = 1 unit? Or simply preference just as long as your bets are relatively consistent/small?

It also looks like your method prohibits betting on -200 baseball favorites (which I tend to agree with).

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

Quote Originally Posted by RangeFinder View Post
    Good point

I respect some $50 bettors a lot more than dime bettors

Size of wager does not matter on how good a guy is
    as long as they are following bankroll rules, being somewhat successful, and slowly building for bigger br in the future, then yes a $10 better could be better than $1, 000 better

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Fukk no., back in the day when I was a young dumb full of you know what kid who made a lot of illegal cash I bet way more than I do now and like most cats around here I was pretty clueless when it came to the art of capping games. Now days I think most would agree I’m a pretty solid capper and I bet far less..

Any idiot w money can bet large amounts, certainly doesn’t mean he has a clue! Obviously some folks don’t realize this as in the very near future we will have tons of clowns posting their fake ass Monopoly money wagers as if that somehow legitimizes them.

danshan11

Do you personally think its best to set up bets so that the bet= 1 unit or that the winnings = 1 unit? Or simply preference just as long as your bets are relatively consistent/small?

It also looks like your method prohibits betting on -200 baseball favorites (which I tend to agree with).
    example of my method bankroll $1000 1% is $10 so 1 unit in a $1k bankroll would be $10
    yankees -200 bet 20 to win 10
    dodgers +200 bet 5 to win 10
    blue jays +100 bet 10 to win 10
    Rockies -145 bet 14.50 to win 10
    hope that makes more sense

the theory is that you have more money on things more likely to occur and you can stretch out your plays longer.
    its hard NOT impossible to go broke betting 1% of bankroll on things that will be 50/50
    Points Awarded:

PaperTrail07 gave danshan11 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

SportsSharingun

example of my method bankroll $1000 1% is $10 so 1 unit in a $1k bankroll would be $10

the theory is that you have more money on things more likely to occur and you can stretch out your plays longer.
    its hard NOT impossible to go broke betting 1% of bankroll on things that will be 50/50
    That makes a lot of sense for rec players. Although I don't know if I'd recommend going above 1.5 units on baseball favorites, particularly on popular teams.

danshan11

That makes a lot of sense for rec players. Although I don't know if I'd recommend going above 1.5 units on baseball favorites, particularly on popular teams.
    I try to bet value, if there is value at -350 I will take it even at +400, value is value

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

I try to bet value, if there is value at -350 I will take it even at +400, value is value
    There never once in the history of modern day baseball where there was value in a team -350 (prob not even -250 to be honest, teams simply don’t win at that high of a clip in this sport).

danwinkler
    danwinkler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Can a $10 Bettor be as good as a $500+ Bettor?
    If so, then why do some poke fun at others who make very small wagers?
    If you're good, you're good, right?
    Bet size has nothing to do with how good you are. Its about discipline and how you manage the bankroll. Few years ago when I traveled to India and the guy who carried my suitcase to the hotel room struck up a conversation and it somehow steered towards sports and betting. During the 5 minute conversation from the lobby to the room, he revealed that he made more money than his job's base salary (not including tips) betting what is equivalent to $5 to $10 per game. He also mentioned that he made more money from tips than his salary since he would receive tips in USD/GBP/Euors etc. He said he mostly bets on european soccer, tennis and cricket. I don't know his betting details but I am guessing he is a disciplined bettor if he was routinely making profit that is more than his base salary.

The difference between suckers/dgenerate gamblers and good bettors is that good bettors have the discipline to survive and they cash out profits periodically and continue to play with just the initial deposit or two as needed. Degenerates and bad bettors will blow each deposit faster than a crackhead blows his welfare check, and the will keep repeating that process forever.

SportsSharingun

Right but if you're suggesting something for recreational bettors, I think its going to be difficult for them to spot value on a -350 line. Large favorites, iirc, are typically the least profitable lines in baseball (for bettors).

danwinkler
    danwinkler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

I use bettingresource's money management with 3% max bet. Its pretty good if you are selective with the picks. I used to use their picks many years ago as well but stopped about 5 years ago since I travel to Honk Kong and Australia throughout the year because of my work. My time zone issues barred me from following all the releases regularly.

danshan11

http://sportsdatabase.com/mlb/query?...+S+D+Q+L+%21++

i think this is a small sample size but it definitely says fading big faves over -300 is a good thing but i would cry
    sample size
    variance
    but this is reality

danshan11

http://sportsdatabase.com/mlb/query?...+S+D+Q+L+%21++

and this says it a better than flipping coins but not profitable at -400

First 12345 Last