High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4146

My Shrine of Academic Articles: All Things Sports Gambling

Mind you, I have another laptop with at least 50 more articles (some may be duplicates--can't remember). I have not read all of these articles, but I think it would be great to use this thread for a meaningful, roundtable discussion. How intellectual--not pseudo intellectual, is SBR?

Please refrain from nonsensical posting. I am not going to make every article available, rather I'll post an article upon a worthy request and will give the community an opportunity to read and discuss it (sport gambling book club style). If nothing comes out of this, then I won't bother. Hopefully insight, criticisms, arguments for additional research, etc. will occur.

Available Articles:

"A Birth Process Model for Association Football Matches"
    "A Markov Chain Approach to Baseball"
    "Algorithms for Optimal Allocation of Bets on Many Simultaneous Events"
    "An Evaluation of Major League Baseball Offensive Performance Models"
    "Analyses of Sports Data by Using Brivariate Poisson Models"
    "Assessing Sports Advisory Services: Do They Provide Value for Football Bettors?"
    "Beating the Books: Are there Patterns in NFL Betting Lines?"
    "Do Motives Matter?: Modeling Gambling on Sports Among Atheletes"
    "Dynamic Modeling and Prediction of English Football League Matches for Betting"
    "Exploring Baseball Hitting Data: What About Those Breakdown in Statistics?"
    "Identifying Investor Sentiment from Price Paths: The Case of Football Betting"
    "Improved NCAA Basketball Tournament Modeling via Point Spread and Team Strength Information"
    "Market Efficiency and Profitability Wagering in the NHL: Can Bettors Score on Longshots?"
    "Markowitz Portfolio Theory for Soccer Spread Betting"
    "Modeling Pitcher Performance and the Distribution of Runs Per Inning in MLB"
    "Modeling Association Football Score and Inefficiencies in the Football Betting Market"
    "More Probability Models for the NCAA Regional Basketball Tournaments"
    "Multi-level Modeling of Dyadic Data in Sport Sciences"
    "Predictions for National Football League Games Via Linear Model Methodology"
    "Stopping Strategies and Gambler's Ruin"
    "Testing Market Efficiency Evidence from the NFL Sports Betting Market"
    "Testing Rationality in the Point Spread Betting Market"
    "The Kelly Criterion and Bet Comparisons in Spread Betting"
    "Valuation of Soccer Spread Bets"
    "Why are Gambling Markets Organized so Differently from Financial Markets?"
    "Winning Strategies for Wagering on National Football League Games"

subs
    subs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

sounds good, how about u post ur top 1 or 2 articles and we go from there?

LtDementia
    LtDementia's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2075

We're in baseball season now so a couple of the first on the list might be appropriate -

"A Markov Chain Approach to Baseball"
    "An Evaluation of Major League Baseball Offensive Performance Models"

LT

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

High3r,

Are all of these articles located in one place?

AngryPlanets
    AngryPlanets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I am working on my NFL algorithms already, so these would be enormously helpful:
    "Modeling Association Football Score and Inefficiencies in the Football Betting Market"
    "Predictions for National Football League Games Via Linear Model Methodology"
    "Winning Strategies for Wagering on National Football League Games"

Thanks for sharing with the forum.

I have a couple websites... let me know if it would be helpful to upload them to my host.

High3rEl3m3nt

Quote Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
    High3r,

Are all of these articles located in one place?
    Yes. All these ones are on my daily use laptop. I have quite a few on my backup (older) laptop. We're going to start things off with these two:

"A Markov Chain Approach to Baseball" and "Modeling Association Football Score and Inefficiencies in the Football Betting Market".

Enjoy. These are lengthy. Let's kick off some meaningful discussion. I am very opinionated about a lot of the research produced today (in all fields). Hopefully, these articles are good.
    Last edited by High3rEl3m3nt; 04-27-12 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Articles removed until further notice

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1127

What are you expecting by making this thread? You want open, public discussion on what works and what doesn't?? Good luck with that.

High3rEl3m3nt

Just discussion. Pessimists need not post in here. Some of these articles are flawed, some make great points, and others, I don't know what to think. Why not bring these articles to the community and see what happens? Can't hurt and many posters don't have access to stat journals...thought I would share.

Wotton
    Wotton's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 371

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    Yes. All these ones are on my daily use laptop. I have quite a few on my backup (older) laptop. We're going to start things off with these two:

"A Markov Chain Approach to Baseball" and "Modeling Association Football Score and Inefficiencies in the Football Betting Market".

Enjoy. These are lengthy. Let's kick off some meaningful discussion. I am very opinionated about a lot of the research produced today (in all fields). Hopefully, these articles are good.
    My 2 cents on the second article:

The Dixon Coles model is, despite being the most widely known, flawed:
    The defensive and attacking ability of teams are not independent so you have to define them simultaneously, which is done in the first article I've attached that uses the good stuff of the DC model (the modification of the pure Poisson framework to take into account the low scoring possibilities underestimated by Maher's model) but goes deeper. I'm still working on back testing it.

The second one tries to go back to more simplicity by using a regression based approach. I've only read it once but it seems pretty awesome...

Modelling football results and the efficincy of fixed odds betting.pdf
    Predicting and retrospective analysis of soccer matches in a league.pdf
    Points Awarded:

High3rEl3m3nt gave Wotton 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: High3rEl3m3nt

cutchemist42
    cutchemist42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5801

Great thread!

VLR100
    VLR100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 985

I notice the reference to Charles Reep in there, the man who set English football up route 1. 'Chance dominates the game'... If any of you have read the excellent Inverting The Pyramid, you'll recognise him. He argued for long ball football, with his figures showing that 91.5% of footballing moves in the games he studied consisted of three passes or fewer. If the number of passes in the chain before a goal made no difference, then the percentage of goals scored from moves of three passes or fewer should also be 91.5%, yet by Reep's own figures showed that 80% of goals came from moves of three passes or fewer. Apologies for taking this thread off topic, but at least one can take heart when one feels stuck in a dead end, when those that say football is completely unpredictable don't properly understand their own statistics.

cyberbabble
    cyberbabble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3353

Mods, Justin7, serious posters

Look at a site, pokerai.org, to see how a forum for serious research can be handled. It is a poker botting site.

Start a subforum for academic articles, software, and anything that is really useful or relevant for sports betting.
    Mods should actually do some mod work, delete pointless posts and comments, like Monkeys. Use some judgement about the quality of what is posted. Move the beginning level posts to the beginners forum.
    Set up another locked subforum and allow access to people after they make a some worthwhile posts.

Good post High3r. I nominate you for mod for the new subforum.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: FreeFall

cyberbabble
    cyberbabble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3353

By the way, you are probably going to run into copywrite problems on some of these.

Some academic papers are openly posted on the internet. Some of these have restrictions on openly posting them.

High3rEl3m3nt

Going to read or re-read the Markov Chain Approach article over the weekend and share my thoughts.

We have a fellow poster, who is building a football model, and I look forward to him sharing his process and maybe we can even provide him with some meaningful criticisms.

About the copyright thing. I guess there might not be a way that I can post these articles. I really don't want to create any possible situations for myself or potentially, for SBR. What do you all think?

Also, I believe we're in Justin7's territory and I'd prefer not mod anything--not my style.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Interested in everything that deals with the marketplace.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbabble View Post
    Look at a site, pokerai.org, to see how a forum for serious research can be handled. It is a poker botting site.

Start a subforum for academic articles, software, and anything that is really useful or relevant for sports betting.
    Mods should actually do some mod work, delete pointless posts and comments, like Monkeys. Use some judgement about the quality of what is posted. Move the beginning level posts to the beginners forum.
    Set up another locked subforum and allow access to people after they make a some worthwhile posts.

No one that actually does this stuff successfully in sports markets (like say moneyfocker) is going to interested in sharing their work on a public forum.

AngryPlanets

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    No one that actually does this stuff successfully in sports markets (like say moneyfocker) is going to interested in sharing their work on a public forum.
    This thread really isn't about sharing individual work, is it? It is about discussing academic articles and corresponding theory.

I don't see what the problem is here. This is the handicapper's think tank, right? Let's pretend it actually is one.

And from what I've seen, the less MonkeyF0cker participates in individual threads, the better.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: High3rEl3m3nt

High3rEl3m3nt

exactly, this is just about discussing information that's out there and their supportive theories.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35459

higher, will you or won't you post the articles?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    Then again, how many academics of above average intelligence would publish something that could make them millions if they didn't publish it?

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Then again, how many academics of above average intelligence would publish something that could make them millions if they didn't publish it?
    Cause they're pussies

That's the real answer
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: runnershane14

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPlanets View Post
    This thread really isn't about sharing individual work, is it? It is about discussing academic articles and corresponding theory.

I don't see what the problem is here. This is the handicapper's think tank, right? Let's pretend it actually is one.

And from what I've seen, the less MonkeyF0cker participates in individual threads, the better.
    What is there to discuss? The articles are implementations of basic statistical methodologies. Either they work or they don't. If you think profitable handicappers are going to come in here and publicly provide methodologies that improve upon these articles, you're an ignorant fool. And if the dim-witted lot of you who can't figure this stuff out on your own actually would figure anything out, I hope you enjoy the three days of profitability you'll have from it. Maybe you're too dense to realize that people on the other side of the counter also peruse this site.

By the way, I've provided more help and information to posters here than you ever will. If you don't like my delivery, too fukkin bad. Grab yourself a tissue.

High3rEl3m3nt

Maybe there are statistical models, patterns, etc. that some of us haven't been exposed to. What's the harm in sharing, reading, and discussing? You don't think that the dim-witted lot of is going to come up with anything that has not already been discussed or produced, do you? Not everyone is as gifted as you are...you probably should not interact with people that are so beneath where you're at, or we might infect you.

AngryPlanets

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyF0cker View Post
    By the way, I've provided more help and information to posters here than you ever will.
    [citation needed]
    All I have seen from you in my limited time on this sight is moronic snark and stupid crap like your current post.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mathdotcom View Post
    Cause they're pussies

That's the real answer
    True. Think the Pavlov dog would go after the pussies if I cut the Markov chain?

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

[citation needed]
    All I have seen from you in my limited time on this sight is moronic snark and stupid crap like your current post.
    Even my snark provides more information than you do.

Justin7

High3r,

Look at each article. Does it say "Copyright" anywhere on it? If not, feel free to post or attach it. If it has a copyright, you can still post a link to the site hosting it.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Maybe there are statistical models, patterns, etc. that some of us haven't been exposed to. What's the harm in sharing, reading, and discussing? You don't think that the dim-witted lot of is going to come up with anything that has not already been discussed or produced, do you? Not everyone is as gifted as you are...you probably should not interact with people that are so beneath where you're at, or we might infect you.
    If you haven't been exposed to Markov Chains or regression, you should be reading books - not papers.

High3rEl3m3nt

Monkey, I am talking about the forum as a whole. Again, you know all this stuff, so why are you bothering with this thread? I am trying to introduce something positive...maybe it will lead to places you have already been. Let us take the journey.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

The entire point of me being in this thread was to ask the question of what possible benefit you think you would get from trying to do it publicly and collectively.

There is none.

High3rEl3m3nt

Meaningful discussion. The articles are facilitators. You act like what's being discussed is industry-innovative. Most of the articles were published in the 1990s. I don't think we are going to stumble upon anything that's going to be revolutionary. There's your answer. Since this sort of discussion turns you off, there's plenty of other threads that will entertain you. TTWarrior wants to know what cloathes will make him look good...maybe start there.

AngryPlanets

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbabble View Post

I think this is a great idea. On the one-out-of-one-thousand chance this actually would happen, I volunteer to be the moderator. I especially like the idea of limiting read-access to constructive participants. The signal-to-noise ratio on this forum is pretty pathetic. I bet, if this idea is implemented, that it would be the most important sportsbetting forum on internet within months.

I also bet we would have awesome meetups in vegas on Super Bowl weekend. Make it happen.

Justin7

I think this is a great idea. On the one-out-of-one-thousand chance this actually would happen, I volunteer to be the moderator. I especially like the idea of limiting read-access to constructive participants. The signal-to-noise ratio on this forum is pretty pathetic. I bet, if this idea is implemented, that it would be the most important sportsbetting forum on internet within months.

I also bet we would have awesome meetups in vegas on Super Bowl weekend. Make it happen.
    If you ran this sub-forum, how would you propose running it? In general, SBR wants as much interaction as possible. Everyone reading, and as many posting as possible... Although I agree that the signal to noise ratio causes problems.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

Meaningful discussion. The articles are facilitators. You act like what's being discussed is industry-innovative. Most of the articles were published in the 1990s. I don't think we are going to stumble upon anything that's going to be revolutionary. There's your answer. Since this sort of discussion turns you off, there's plenty of other threads that will entertain you. TTWarrior wants to know what cloathes will make him look good...maybe start there.
    So you're telling me that I should spend time in Player's Talk when it's quite clear that's exactly where you stumbled over here from? LOL. Irony at its best.

What is MEANINGFUL discussion? Isn't it exactly what I stated? What else could possibly be meaningful? Why do you keep avoiding this question?

You're just talking in circles, coming in here with a bunch of papers that you downloaded, hoping that someone will help you make sense of it.

"Here's a bunch of papers. Discuss." = "Help me. I'm lost."

Let's just call a spade a spade.

MonkeyF0cker
    Update your status

LMAO. A guy with 26 posts (every single one of them as useless as the next) is nominating himself to moderate a "constructive" forum. The irony in this thread is hysterical.

1234 Last