Ganchrow
    Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
    Ganchrow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1088

Risk-of-ruin calculation (Received via PM)

I saw Peep mention to you a simple formula that can be used to figure out your chnaces of going broke. Do you know anything about that?
    I assume you're referring to this statement by Peep:

Quote Originally Posted by Peep
    If we knew that we could win say 30% of our bets at average odds of 9/2, [the formula] let us know what our chance of going broke was if we bet ____ percent of our bankroll.
    The simplicity of the formula to which he's referring, however, is rather muted by its general lack of utility.

The risk-of-ruin approximation (it's only an approximation because it ignores the higher-order moments of a betting distribution and then appeals to the Central Limit Theorem, which will only be true asymptotically) is given by:
    R ≈ e-2μ(x) / σ2(x)
    where R represents our risk-of-ruin, μ our expectation, and σ our standard deviation (the latter two both given in units of initial bankroll and as a function of bet size, x).

Note that even as an approximation this is only really applicable for constant μ and σ. While this assumption remains robust across multiple classes bets of varying size, it won't hold for a player sizing his bets as a percentage of bankroll. Furthermore this formulation refers to a player's probability of going broke before the End of Time, rather than of going broke before reaching a certain goal. As such, it's of no use to the recreational bettor (whose probability of eventually going broke approaches 100%). We see this by noting that when μ < 0, the exponent goes positive and R would be > 1, a logical impossibility.

So for a bet size of x (as a fraction of initial bankroll) we have:
    R ≈ e-2μ / (x * σ2)

Recall that with binary outcome wagers, if p represents the win probability, d the decimal payout odds, and x the bet size, then we have:
    μ(x) = x * (p*d - 1)
    σ2(x) = x2 * (d - μ/x - 1) * (1 + μ/x)
    σ2(x) = x2 * d2 * (1-p) * p

So in Peep's example of a 9/2 dog winning at a 30% clip we'd have for a unit bet size:
    μ = 11/2 * 30% - 1 = 65%
    σ2 = (11/2)2 * 70% * 30% = 6.3525
    e-2μ / σ2 = e-2 * 65% / 6.3525 ≈ 81.494%

So our risk-of-ruin approximation would be given by
    R ≈ 81.494% 1/x

So for a player betting 5% of bankroll, risk-of-ruin would be 81.494%1/5% ≈ 1.669%, while for a player betting 25% of bankroll it would be 81.494%1/25% ≈ 44.106%.

Note that we can restate the above formula as follows:
    R = e-2μ / (x * σ2)
    ln(R) = -2μ / (x * σ2)
    x = -2μ / ( ln(R) * σ2)
    x = -2*(p*d - 1) / ( ln(R) * d2 * (1-p) * p)
    Which tells us our maximum bet size if we're willing to accept a given risk-of-ruin.

So using the above example of a 9/2 dog winning at 30%, if we're willing to accept a risk-of-ruin no greater than R*:
    x ≤ -20.464% / ln(R*)
    So for R* = 5%, we'd have:
    x ≤ -20.464% / ln(5%) = 6.831%
    Implying we'd need to select a bet size of no more than 6.831% of initial bankroll in order to keep our risk-of-ruin at 5% or less.

gamble4heisman
    gamble4heisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 248

Ganchrow,

i was looking back through old threads and i had a few questions about this one. i get lost when you combine steps in the following:

μ = 11/2 * 30% - 1 = 65%
    σ2 = x2 * (11/2)2 * 70% * 30% = 6.3525.

i don't understand where the 11/2 comes from when the formulas above in the main post are considered. i am looking to calculate a risk of ruin given a certain winning percentage and percentage of bankroll risked and also to calculate an idea bet size given a desired risk of ruin and winning percentage at stated average decimal odds. thanks.

G4H

Ganchrow

Fractional payout odds of 9/2 were given in the initial question. As decimal odds = fractional odds + 1, so decimal odds = 9/2 + 1 = 11/2.

gamble4heisman

thanks for the help, i think now i'm at the last part and am of course confused again. 'σ2 = x2 * (11/2)2 * 70% * 30% = 6.3525' when i solved with a value of x that i thought correct to use (fraction of bankroll wagered) i got an undefineable answer. i took your answer and solved for x and got 1. i'm pretty confident x is 1 but i'm curious as to why, can you explain? thanks.

G4H

Ganchrow

My above post is a bit unclear.

x represents bet size, expressed as a fraction of total bankroll.

When I wrote R = e-2μ / (x * σ2), I referring to μ and σ2 off a unit-sized bet.

So:
    R = e-2μ / (x * σ2)

R = e-2*(p*d-1)/(x*d2*(1-p)*p)

In other words, you should ignore the initial x2 in the Peep example (since removed from the above post) as it was erroneous.

gamble4heisman

Thanks!! I got it now, did all the calculations. I am going to make a spreadsheet for different winning percentages and odds percentages now. thanks for the help on an old thread topic, i've learned a lot from you. thanks again.

G4H