EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

As the Giants do battle in Game 3 of the NLDS against the Dodgers, Kris Bryant will be manning first base. Before the game, the versatile Bryant offered John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle a positive review of his time out west, drawing comparisons to the fun, winning culture cultivated during the Cubs’ 2016 playoff run and suggesting openness to a longer-term arrangement. Whether there’s enough mutual interest in a reunion will likely come down to dollars, but this endorsement will only serve to intensify reunion rumors between Bryant, a West Coast native, and San Francisco in the months ahead.
    A couple other notes out of the Bay Area…

• Left-handed reliever Tony Watson is working his way back from a shoulder strain in hopes of returning to a potential Giants’ NLCS roster. The veteran acknowledged to Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic however that he may be running out of time. Advancing past the Dodgers is the Giants’ chief objective at the moment, but if they do just that, it would be a boon to their pitching staff if Watson returned. Acquired in a mid-season trade with the Angels, Watson dominated for the first-place club down the stretch— in 26 appearances he produced a stingy 4.4% walk rate, a sub-3 ERA (140 ERA+), and was among the best in the league at limiting hard contact.
    • J.P. Hoornstra of the Southern California News Group meanwhile offered some insight into another barrel-dodging left-hander. Alex Wood spoke to Hoornstra about his decision to sign with the Giants this past offseason after securing a ring with the Dodgers during last year’s campaign. Wood spoke glowingly of his time in LA but cited his relationship with Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi and a clearer path to consistent starts as a reason to move on. Signed to a one-year, $3MM contract, Wood’s performance has been one of several unmitigated successes for the upstart Giants this year. Boasting above-average strikeout, walk, and groundball rates of 26%, 6.7%, and 50%, Wood helped his club across 26 starts to win the NL West by the thinnest of margins. His 3.83 ERA looks sustainable in the eyes of advanced metrics, a factor likely to play into yet an even more competitive offseason for the starter’s services.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Brandon Crawford has been the Giants MVP this season and its mostly because of plays like the one he made in the 7th inning of game 3 against the Dodgers. Obviously the award will go to someone else with better stats but I'll take Crawford on my team anyday because of what he does with both his bat and the glove.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Brandon Crawford has been the Giants MVP this season and its mostly because of plays like the one he made in the 7th inning of game 3 against the Dodgers. Obviously the award will go to someone else with better stats but I'll take Crawford on my team anyday because of what he does with both his bat and the glove.
    Crawford is a very good winning player

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

Albert Pujols was 2 for 2 and the only one with hits, and Roberts pulls him out. Brilliant!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32317

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Crawford is a very good winning player
    Consistent his whole career.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

It's very difficult betting baseball right now.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Tony was probably sweating bullets
    Sucks to be Tony now

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Just had to bet against anyone in Central divisions and you made bank again this year.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    It's very difficult betting baseball right now.
    Yeah it's tough man I stayed away from the Giants game today but I leaned Over with Desclafani on the mound I just didn't bet it and it would've cashed. Totals especially have been giving people problems but I've had some success betting sides. I did lose with the White Sox today I thought they would tie the series up with the slight pitching edge but they obviously got shellacked and the bats this time couldn't bail their pitching out.

EmpireMaker

Rays backstop Mike Zunino had the best season of his career in 2021, and his durability and strong production behind the dish have upped the price it’ll cost Tampa Bay to retain him in 2022. Zunino re-signed with the Rays on a one-year deal with a $4MM club option this past offseason, but as Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times points out, it was reported at the time of the deal that Zunino’s option would increase from $4MM to $7MM if he appeared in 100 or more games this season.
    Zunino topped that mark by reaching 109 games, and he swatted a career-best 33 home runs in the process. That mark, reached in 375 plate appearances, matches Zunino’s combined home run total from 2018-20 (778 plate appearances). The 30-year-old still strikes out at a prolific rate (35.2 percent in ’21), but he also posted the second-base walk rate of his career (9.1 percent) and played his usual brand of strong defense (7 Defensive Runs Saved, plus framing marks — albeit with a league-leading 10 passed balls). Overall, Zunino’s .216/.301/.559 batting line translated to a 134 wRC+.
    It’s probably not realistic to expect Zunino to repeat that offensive season in 2022. His 30.3 percent homer-to-flyball ratio was the highest of his career by more than six percentage points and tied for the 19th-highest single-season mark of any player with at least 350 plate appearances, dating back to 2010.
    That said, Zunino’s power surge doesn’t look like a total fluke, either. Statcast shows that his average exit velocity jumped from 88.9 mph from 2018-20 to 90.7 mph in 2021. His rate of barreled balls exploded from 12.8 percent in 2018-20 to 24.3 percent this past season, and his hard-hit rate jumped by more than five percentage points to 46.5 percent — second-best of his career. He’d be hard-pressed to repeat that showing across the board, but it’s reasonable to expect a middle ground between Zunino’s big 2021 and the underwhelming three prior seasons.
    Regardless of the increased price, Zunino’s option looks like a relative bargain. The Rays owe him a $1MM buyout regardless, making it a net $6MM call on their end, and the free-agent market isn’t deep with alternatives. None of the available names can match Zunino’s blend of power and defense, and it stands to reason that were he set back out into the open market, he’d top the price of next year’s option with relative ease.
    The Rays do have a potential successor on the roster already, as switch-hitting 25-year-old Francisco Mejia posted a solid .260/.322/.416 slash in a career-high 277 plate appearances this year. He’ll be arbitration-eligible this winter — as will a whopping 18 other Rays — but the combination of Zunino and Mejia should still be an affordable and productive pairing. (Anecdotally, keeping both for the 2022 season also curbs Mejia’s playing time and thus curbs future arbitration raises, though that’s unlikely to be a major part of the calculus.)
    At the end of the day, any notable increase in salary (or potential salary) for a Rays player is worth mention, because the Tampa Bay front office makes surprising decisions driven by perennial payroll constraints every offseason. It’s tough to imagine moving on from Zunino after a 33-homer, All-Star season, but the very fact that it’ll cost them a few extra million dollars could also lead to some tougher decisions elsewhere on the roster.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Dodgers weren't going to let the Giants just have it

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Bet SF game 5 Otters

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Bet SF game 5 Otters
    They got the right pitcher on the mound. Webb at home has been lights out but the Giants bats have to wake up. The Dodgers have a great offense so I don't expect them to be completely stifled for the third time this series but I do expect Webb to pitch well.

stevenash

They got the right pitcher on the mound. Webb at home has been lights out but the Giants bats have to wake up. The Dodgers have a great offense so I don't expect them to be completely stifled for the third time this series but I do expect Webb to pitch well.
    Webb's home splits this season were eye popping.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    I think Giants offense on the road is a lot better than at home

EmpireMaker

Rays reliever David Hess announced today (via his Twitter feed) that he will be undergoing chemotherapy after doctors discovered a cancerous germ cell tumor in his chest. “As we’ve started on this journey we’ve had people circle around us and shower love, prayers, and support in ways that have been so amazing I don’t think we can even put into words how grateful my family and I are,” Hess wrote. “As we get ready to go into this treatment time, we are confident this will all be gone from my body and I’ll be back doing what I love on a baseball field soon and be healthy while doing it.” We at MLBTR wish all the best to Hess in his treatment and we’re hoping for a full and quick recovery.
    More from around the league…

• Braves third base coach Ron Washington can’t interview with other teams about managerial openings until Atlanta’s postseason run is over, so Washington told reporters (including The Athletic’s David O’Brien) that he has yet to hear from the Padres or Mets. Washington is happy in his current position but admitted he would like to “get back in the room” for a second stint managing a big league club. It’s possible Atlanta’s playoff run could interfere with Washington’s job prospects, as if the Braves were to advance deep into the World Series, the Padres and Mets might potentially hire new managers before Washington becomes available to talk.
    • If not Washington, could the Padres turn to another veteran skipper in Rockies manager Bud Black? The Denver Post’s Patrick Saunders is doubtful, writing that “realistically…I don’t think the Rockies would let go of Black and I don’t know if [Padres president of baseball operations A.J.] Preller would even consider him as a candidate.” After all, Preller did fire Black back in 2015, ending Black’s previous nine-year run as the Padres’ manager. Black is under contract to the Rockies through the 2022 season, though team president Greg Feasel recently stated that the Rox had yet to speak to Black about a contract extension. The Padres’ search for a new manager has thus far connected them to several experienced former bench bosses, and Black would certainly fit the description after 14 seasons managing in San Diego and Colorado.
    • Longtime Astros pitching coach Brent Strom told FOX 26’s Mark Berman that this could be his final year, though he and his wife will discuss the situation once the Astros season is over. “I’ve been doing it a long time. I’m going to be 73 years old…and so there’s a lot of life out there besides baseball that I might want to experience, but I haven’t made any decisions as of yet,” Strom said. Strom has been the Astros’ pitching coach since the 2013-14 offseason, the latest stop in almost 40 years’ worth of work in baseball as a coach and as a minor pitching instructor and coordinator for six different organizations.

EmpireMaker

The Padres’ trade deadline explorations included some talks with the Cubs about first baseman Anthony Rizzo, The Athletic’s Dennis Lin writes as part of a reader mailbag. It isn’t known how far negotiations might have developed between the two sides, and the Cubs eventually ended up moving Rizzo to the Yankees in another deal.
    With Rizzo now set to enter the free agent market, it stands to reason that the Padres might still have interest in the veteran, especially since the power is a continued need for the team. While Rizzo’s slugging percentage over the last two seasons is a modest .432 (a significant dropoff from his .513 SLG with the Cubs from 2014-19), the first baseman did hit 22 home runs last year. Rizzo’s power numbers were also markedly better than those of Eric Hosmer, the Padres’ incumbent first baseman.
    It’s probably safe to assume that the Padres’ inability to move Hosmer at the deadline contributed to the lack of movement on a potential Rizzo trade. San Diego was reportedly looking into ways to move Hosmer earlier this year, and Lin figures the team will again try to unload Hosmer and/or Wil Myers to alleviate their payroll and luxury tax burdens. Hosmer is still owed $59MM from 2022-25, with a luxury tax number of $18MM based on the annual average value of Hosmer’s original eight-year, $144MM contract.
    Even if National League teams have the DH as an extra lineup spot to work with in 2022, Hosmer stands as the largest obstacle to Rizzo or any other first base addition, barring a trade. Since Hosmer has provided barely more than replacement-level production (0.5 total fWAR) over the last four seasons, Rizzo would provide an upgrade, even if Rizzo’s own production has taken a step back over the last two seasons.
    Rizzo hit .240/.343/.432 with 33 homers in 819 PA since the start of the 2020 season, good for an above-average but unspectacular 109 wRC+. His hard-hit ball numbers have also been on the decline over the last two seasons, and his nine percent walk rate in 2021 was his lowest since 2012. On the plus side, Rizzo has continued to be one of the game’s tougher hitters to strike out, which would naturally appeal to a Padres team that prizes contact — San Diego has the fourth-lowest strikeout rate of any team in baseball over the last two years.
    There’s certainly still enough in Rizzo’s recent track record to merit a multi-year contract in free agency, and the 32-year-old is likely to land a healthy eight-figure salary. While Rizzo wouldn’t necessarily represent huge savings in terms of pure dollars over Hosmer’s deal, the luxury tax savings may make it particularly worthwhile for the Padres. Rizzo also isn’t attached to any draft pick compensation, since his midseason trade makes him ineligible for the qualifying offer.
    If Rizzo did happen to wind up back in San Diego, it would represent something of a full circle move after he began his MLB career with the Padres back in 2011. Initially a Red Sox draft pick, Rizzo was dealt to the Padres as part of the Adrian Gonzalez blockbuster in December 2010, and played only one season in San Diego before the Friars shipped him to the Cubs in January 2012. From there, Rizzo ended up becoming a Wrigleyville icon, hitting .272/.372/.489 over parts of 10 seasons in Chicago and playing a major role in the team’s 2016 World Series title.
    With power bats standing out as such a need for the Padres, Rizzo might not be the only former trade target who could again emerge on the team’s radar. San Diego also had interest in acquiring Nelson Cruz and Joey Gallo before the two sluggers were respectively dealt to the Rays and Yankees, and Lin believes the Friars might look into either signing Cruz as a free agent (probably again depending on the status of the universal DH) or perhaps working out a Gallo trade with New York.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I have a Giants future ticket to win the World Series in my pocket that I placed the day before the playoffs started so I'm not sure if I'm going to actually wager on the game tomorrow. I have the day off work so I'll be watching from the comfort of my home with a couple of cold ones in hand but I'm a little nervous so I think I might pass on betting this one with real money. It's literally a coin flip and I've seen the tickets split down the middle pretty much so I don't know what to make of that. That's why I think I'll just watch this one as a fan and hopefully root my boys on to a huge win.

JAKEPEAVY21

I have a Giants future ticket to win the World Series in my pocket that I placed the day before the playoffs started so I'm not sure if I'm going to actually wager on the game tomorrow. I have the day off work so I'll be watching from the comfort of my home with a couple of cold ones in hand but I'm a little nervous so I think I might pass on betting this one with real money. It's literally a coin flip and I've seen the tickets split down the middle pretty much so I don't know what to make of that. That's why I think I'll just watch this one as a fan and hopefully root my boys on to a huge win.
    Let's go, beat the dodgers and then lose in the next round would be great!!

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Not putting money on it, just sitting back and enjoying the drama tonight!

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Not putting money on it, just sitting back and enjoying the drama tonight!
    Really. Could be anyone's game

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I ended up throwing some betpoints on the Giants for tonights game but I'm not putting real money on it. Should be a hell of a game tonight I'm anxiously waiting for 6 pm to get here so we can get it on.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Cardinals manager fired

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

I ended up throwing some betpoints on the Giants for tonights game but I'm not putting real money on it. Should be a hell of a game tonight I'm anxiously waiting for 6 pm to get here so we can get it on.
    Put it on the Dodgers. Roberts never messes up.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Put it on the Dodgers. Roberts never messes up.
    Lol I just can't bet on the Dodgers ever I hate that team more than any other sports franchise in professional sports. They literally make me sick to my stomach.

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16714

I made alot of money betting the Dodgers in parlays this season.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

What a series. Bellinger the hero, crazy.

EmpireMaker

The Red Sox will go with Chris Sale and Nathan Eovaldi in the first two games of the ALCS against the Astros, but it’s anyone’s guess as to who might be available for game three.
    The uncertainty stems not from an uneven rotation, but from an uncertain group of relievers. Manager Alex Cora’s other available starters – Eduardo Rodriguez, Tanner Houck, and Nick Pivetta – will be available out in the bullpen for the start of the series, writes MLB.com’s Daniel Kramer. That’s a strategy that worked for Cora in the ALDS. Pivetta proved crucial out of the pen against the Rays, a performance redolent of Eovaldi’s own in the 2018 World Series. Houck tossed seven innings of relief in the series as well, yielding just a pair of runs.
    Whereas the Red Sox were able to patchwork their bullpen for a four-game series win against the Rays, they will likely need an even more dynamic approach to survive a seven-game tilt against the Astros’ potent offense. There is definite potential for this series to turn into a slugfest, not only because these two clubs boast the first and fifth ranked offenses in the game by runs scored in the regular season, but because the Astros are likely to be without Lance McCullers Jr. Results of the MRI on his sore forearm have yet to be revealed.
    McCullers may not be viewed nationally as an ace, he’s been nothing short of stellar in the postseason. He owns a 2.83 ERA in 57 1/3 career postseason innings.
    And while McCullers can boast the distinction of having started a game seven of the World Series back in 2017 (a win), he could be replaced by another righty who’s held that honor. Zack Greinke started game seven of the World Series in 2019 for Houston (a loss), and though he’s not likely to put up a full starter’s load, he could be used as an opener in McCullers’ stead, writes The Athletic’s Jack Kaplan. Jose Urquidy, Cristian Javier, and Jake Odorizzi are also candidates to pick up bulk innings if McCullers is unavailable.
    What we do know is that Framber Valdez will take on Sale in game one, while Luis Garcia will go head-to-head with Eovaldi in game two, per Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle. The Red Sox have the experience edge, but Valdez is no stranger to postseason success. Garcia, meanwhile, has at least gotten his feet wet in the playoffs: he had a scoreless two-inning outing in 2020 and 2 2/3 innings as the starter in game three versus the White Sox.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Absolutely terrible ending to a great series between baseball's two best teams. Just ruined a great series for it to end on an awful call like that. The Giants couldn't score though and ultimately that's why they didn't come out on top in this series. I can take solace in the fact the Giants won about 40-50 more games than they were expected to and won the division but losing to the Dodgers in the playoffs is always going to be something that will be a bitter pill to swallow. I think I'm rooting for a Braves vs Astros World Series just because I like Dusty Baker even though he isn't the greatest manager and I don't want to see the Dodgers win another championship or even get to the World Series again.

JAKEPEAVY21

Absolutely terrible ending to a great series between baseball's two best teams. Just ruined a great series for it to end on an awful call like that. The Giants couldn't score though and ultimately that's why they didn't come out on top in this series. I can take solace in the fact the Giants won about 40-50 more games than they were expected to and won the division but losing to the Dodgers in the playoffs is always going to be something that will be a bitter pill to swallow. I think I'm rooting for a Braves vs Astros World Series just because I like Dusty Baker even though he isn't the greatest manager and I don't want to see the Dodgers win another championship or even get to the World Series again.
    sorry dude, we can unite and root against the dodgers now

stevenash

Well it's the Braves and LA

Looks like I'm going to have to shoot myself.

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Well it's the Braves and LA

Looks like I'm going to have to shoot myself.
    Red Sox and Astros is a tough one for me as well.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Looks like I'm buying something big with my winnings

stevenash

I don't like LA, but I'm happy for you.
    Loyalty pays off.

OK, I'm done being nice, I would love to see Atl smoke your boys.

(congrats again JM, enjoy that)

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Congrats man the Dodgers are a tough out that's for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in the NLCS as I think Atlanta gives you guys some problems but this should be a series where runs are scored unlike the Giants/Dodgers series where runs were at a premium.

First ... 81828384858687 ... Last