LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Rain Delay May Cost Phil Hughes $500,000!

Hughes has gone eight full innings today, giving him 209.2 innings for the season, but then came the rain delay. This is his final scheduled start of the year. Hughes has a clause in his contract that he gets a 500K bonus if he pitches 210 innings this season!

Now under normal circumstances, there would be no way Hughes would come out for the ninth inning after such a long delay. But under these circumstances? We shall see. Delay was 1 hour, 6 minutes.

LT Profits

Pulled for reliever.

Wonder if he'll lobby to pitch in relief this weekend.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

I wonder how stingy they are on that Bonus rule. You think theyd give it to him with .1 innings short

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13194

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Hughes has gone eight full innings today, giving him 209.2 innings for the season, but then came the rain delay. This is his final scheduled start of the year. Hughes has a clause in his contract that he gets a 500K bonus if he pitches 210 innings this season!

Now under normal circumstances, there would be no way Hughes would come out for the ninth inning after such a long delay. But under these circumstances? We shall see. Delay was 1 hour, 6 minutes.
    Hope he doesn't get HOSED on that !!!!

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    I wonder how stingy they are on that Bonus rule. You think theyd give it to him with .1 innings short
    Teamsters (what I call owners of major league sports teams) are some of the stingiest, greediest ass genie's in business today. They didn't get where they are today by being "nice" to people and giving out money that wasn't deserved. Heads were stepped on like stepping stones, the madness!

There's a reason it was 210 innings and not 200

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

They should pay him the bonus as long as he agrees to pay back the $7 million he made in 2013 to the Yankees.
    Points Awarded:

Untied gave boeing power 7 Betpoint(s) for this post.

No coincidences gave boeing power 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: No coincidences

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Well, on the bright side, at least Phil Hughes isn't me.

remeedella
    remeedella's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

On the bright side? You know how much money any single one of these major players makes anyways? I'll take Petricka's pay check as long as it's not $0.01 a pitch like it should be

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ParlayininHTown View Post
    Well, on the bright side, at least Phil Hughes isn't me.
    I'd rather have Hughes post here than suffer your endless crap.

LT Profits

The Twins offered Hughes and opportunity to pitch this weekend and he turned it down. Seems like classy acts on both sides.

Hughes turns down chance for $500,000 bonus

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

If he turns down 500k so as not to take away innings from a reliever on a team going nowhere, he is an idiot. If he doesn't need 500k, have the Twins donate the money to various local charities and non-profits. Whatever Hughes does, letting Twins keep the cash is pure stupidity. He'll never have a season like this again.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 44 Mag

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

I think he wants to make sure he keeps his K/BB ratio record intact. That's something $500,000 can't buy.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    If he turns down 500k so as not to take away innings from a reliever on a team going nowhere, he is an idiot. If he doesn't need 500k, have the Twins donate the money to various local charities and non-profits. Whatever Hughes does, letting Twins keep the cash is pure stupidity. He'll never have a season like this again.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

Correct, that would be the classy thing to do.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

There is prolly more to the story we will never hear about.

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11171

This could have been a cool idea for Hughes and a fun way to end the season. Oh well. On to the next.

Wrigley
    Wrigley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9423

He is a fool for not coming in to record one out in releif this weekend

BigSpoon
    Henlo
    BigSpoon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 65573

Crazy decision by Hughes, passing on $500K just to keep that K/BB ratio season record.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

"With his outing Wednesday, Hughes will finish the year with an 11.63 strikeout-to-walk ratio. Bret Saberhagen, who previously held the record, recorded 11.0 strikeouts for every walk while with the Mets in 1994."

This is why I think he is not going to pitch. He doesn't want to come in a relief situation, when he normally starts, and blow this up against the Tigers lineup.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BigSpoon View Post
    Crazy decision by Hughes, passing on $500K just to keep that K/BB ratio season record.
    Holding a statistical record in MLB is a big thing, especially with Hughes not having a superstar career. Some things are just more important than a quick payday.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19223

He'll have to get by on just 8 million this year.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: I/O

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

$500,000 is peanuts for him. Since it is a bonus after taxes is probably around $200,000 which doesn't worth pitching to get another out and get hurt.

LT Profits

It says in the article that he doesn't want to risk injury just to get an incentive. Remember, starters are creatures of habit and it could be that he has never pitched on less than three days rest, going on four days most of the time.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

It says in the article that he doesn't want to risk injury just to get an incentive. Remember, starters are creatures of habit and it could be that he has never pitched on less than three days rest, going on four days most of the time.
    Maybe so, but recording one out & donating $500K to charity of his choice, he would look like a hero. Besides, what are the odds he gets hurt facing possibly just one batter, or one pitch for that matter, it could be ground ball out or a simple pop up.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by 44 Mag View Post
    Maybe so, but recording one out & donating $500K to charity of his choice, he would look like a hero. Besides, what are the odds he gets hurt facing possibly just one batter, or one pitch for that matter, it could be ground ball out or a simple pop up.
    I am just paraphrasing what he said (about not wanting to risk injury), whether or not anyone buys it...

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO

I am just paraphrasing what he said (about not wanting to risk injury), whether or not anyone buys it...
    He could donate the money to the "44 Mag Foundation" for degenerate gamblers. LOL.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

He's just giving a generic answer, so he doesn't look selfish bringing up the Saberhagen's record.

MikeTizzy
    Update your status
    MikeTizzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

great tip here LT, poor phil hughes

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

September 25, 2014 4:36 pm Phil Hughes won't come out of the bullpen
    by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com
    Twins pitcher Phil Hughes will not come out of the bullpen, according to MLB.com.
    The club offered him a chance to pitch again this season, but Hughes declined. Hughes needs one more out to trigger a $500,000 roster bonus, but has decided to end his season. He posted a 3.52 ERA over 209 2/3 innings.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Ain't bout the money for this dude, solid.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

What a fool. One more inning and he would've had $500k.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    What a fool. One more inning and he would've had $500k.
    1/3 of an inning. He's an idiot. His wife must be pissed.

LT Profits

Don't really think he cares that much about 500K, it is peanuts to him. If only I had that problem,