1. #1
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 64,712
    Betpoints: 104975

    Cubs Looking to Trade Samardzija?

    Per the Chicago Sun-Times:

    Two sources told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times that the Cubs trading Jeff Samardzija before Opening Day is a "strong possibility."

    Wittenmyer notes that the two sides "are no closer to finding common ground" on an extension and "in some ways are further apart." Samardzija will be arbitration-eligible for the final time next winter and, if no headway is made with a long-term contract, is a good bet to be dealt in July if not before the opener.

  2. #2
    I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-26-11
    Posts: 7,940
    Betpoints: 3203

    trade him to Notre Dame for a decent pitcher

  3. #3
    MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-08-08
    Posts: 20,292
    Betpoints: 1190

    I can't imagine the Cubs trading him before Opening Day. Either way, I think it's a long long road for The Cubs this season.

  4. #4
    Chi_archie
    Ghost
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 46,237
    Betpoints: 64

    Good idea

  5. #5
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    I heard the D-Backs want him.

  6. #6
    d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 21,643
    Betpoints: 359

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Per the Chicago Sun-Times:

    Two sources told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times that the Cubs trading Jeff Samardzija before Opening Day is a "strong possibility."

    Wittenmyer notes that the two sides "are no closer to finding common ground" on an extension and "in some ways are further apart." Samardzija will be arbitration-eligible for the final time next winter and, if no headway is made with a long-term contract, is a good bet to be dealt in July if not before the opener.
    I think the Cubs would need a very strong offer to deal him at this point. But no doubt if they can't sign him long-term they will deal him at some point.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/17/2017

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  7. #7
    MikeTizzy
    MikeTizzy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-09-12
    Posts: 975
    Betpoints: 184

    gettin all the value the new regime is doing to build up.

  8. #8
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 262,022
    Betpoints: 3121

    He is an average pitcher at best I would just release him

    Is one of those potential guys but never lives up to it

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  9. #9
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    He is an average pitcher at best I would just release him

    Is one of those potential guys but never lives up to it
    bullshit he is a beast. i personally hate notre dame and his haircut but he is a good pitcher

  10. #10
    d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 21,643
    Betpoints: 359

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    He is an average pitcher at best I would just release him

    Is one of those potential guys but never lives up to it
    Why would they release him when plenty of teams would love to have him and would trade talent to get him. Plus, he's under team control this year and next. Plus, he's only been a starter for 2 seasons to to say he never lives up to it is silly. 2 seasons, that's it. 3.81 and 4.34 ERA and his peripheral numbers are better. Needs to learn to pitch out of jams better.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/17/2017

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  11. #11
    EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-18-09
    Posts: 9,538

    Maybe someone would give them a draft pick for him or something, he won't get them much in return.

  12. #12
    d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 21,643
    Betpoints: 359

    Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Maybe someone would give them a draft pick for him or something, he won't get them much in return.
    The rules pretty much don't allow this, that's why it happens very rarely. And you're wrong, he will net a good return is dealt. Looks at what the Cubs got from Texas for 3 months worth of Garza. If the Cubs trade Shark they'd get a major league ready arm, a Top 50 prospect plus another top 100 prospect. The Cubs won't give him away for nothing, I can guarantee that.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/17/2017

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  13. #13
    flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-01-10
    Posts: 1,226
    Betpoints: 1991

    trade him to philly. they need some good arms.

  14. #14
    Chi_archie
    Ghost
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 46,237
    Betpoints: 64

    so many here really don't understand baseball behind the scenes

  15. #15
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    Quote Originally Posted by flocko76 View Post
    trade him to philly. they need some good arms.
    Philly has 4 good starting pitchers in Hamels, Lee, Burnett, Kendrick

    who is this Miguel Gonzalez guy?

  16. #16
    easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-25-12
    Posts: 8,878
    Betpoints: 10

    they definitely need more bats in that lineup. Their rotation is actually pretty good with Wood and Samardzija and Hammel who will likely benefit from moving to the NL. Maybe this is the year Edwin Jackson gets it together as well.

  17. #17
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 64,712
    Betpoints: 104975

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    who is this Miguel Gonzalez guy?
    Cuban defector that has looked bad during camp and probably won't make the rotation.

    Gonzalez threw his second bullpen session on Friday, but his command was spotty and his stuff didn't impress. Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg continues to say they are exercising patience with the Cuban import, but it's starting to look highly unlikely that he'll be included in the Opening Day rotation unless he blows everyone away in the spring. Feb 21 - 10:51 PM ET

    Source: CSNPhilly.com

  18. #18
    I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-26-11
    Posts: 7,940
    Betpoints: 3203

    Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    they definitely need more bats in that lineup. Their rotation is actually pretty good with Wood and Samardzija and Hammel who will likely benefit from moving to the NL. Maybe this is the year Edwin Jackson gets it together as well.
    EZ

    or maybe ol Jeffy has peaked??

    The beginning of last season there was all this talk, "New and improved Samardza" etc etc etc. He prolly gave his best. The Cubs know what they got out of him. I'm not saying he's bad, but Jeff has always felt/thinks he's a lot better than he really is, average. Cubs may not want (to pay) him and his attitude around in a year or two with the kids coming up. He will eat some innings for somebody.

  19. #19
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Cuban defector that has looked bad during camp and probably won't make the rotation.

    Gonzalez threw his second bullpen session on Friday, but his command was spotty and his stuff didn't impress. Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg continues to say they are exercising patience with the Cuban import, but it's starting to look highly unlikely that he'll be included in the Opening Day rotation unless he blows everyone away in the spring. Feb 21 - 10:51 PM ET

    Source: CSNPhilly.com
    so whats the Phillies rotation looking like to start the season?

  20. #20
    d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 21,643
    Betpoints: 359

    Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    EZ

    or maybe ol Jeffy has peaked??

    The beginning of last season there was all this talk, "New and improved Samardza" etc etc etc. He prolly gave his best. The Cubs know what they got out of him. I'm not saying he's bad, but Jeff has always felt/thinks he's a lot better than he really is, average. Cubs may not want (to pay) him and his attitude around in a year or two with the kids coming up. He will eat some innings for somebody.
    I think they do want him, but everyone has their number. Cubs made him at least a reasonable offer. He obviously feels/thinks he's better than the Cubs do and think he's worth more. Cubs are not about to lose him for nothing, though. He's a long-term sign or a trade, at least before next season, or sooner.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 08/17/2017

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  21. #21
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 64,712
    Betpoints: 104975

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    so whats the Phillies rotation looking like to start the season?
    Per Rotoworld as of now:

    1 Cole Hamels-*
    2 Cliff Lee
    3 A.J. Burnett
    4 Kyle Kendrick
    5 Roberto Hernandez

    *-Hamels is still expected to miss the start of the season, but he could be ready in the early part of April if he can avoid setbacks.

  22. #22
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    yeah i was just wondering what it might look like with no Hamels and no Hernandez...

    maybe they should pick up Ervin Santana only thing is he is a fly ball pitcher and led the league in HR's allowed 2 years ago

  23. #23
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 64,712
    Betpoints: 104975

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    yeah i was just wondering what it might look like with no Hamels and no Hernandez...

    maybe they should pick up Ervin Santana only thing is he is a fly ball pitcher and led the league in HR's allowed 2 years ago
    Why no Hernandez? I see no injuries for him and Phils may not need fifth starters before Hamels gets back, so just move everybody up one spot. If they do need fifth starter or if Hamels has a setback delaying his return, next listed starter is Jonathan Pettibone

  24. #24
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Why no Hernandez? I see no injuries for him and Phils may not need fifth starters before Hamels gets back, so just move everybody up one spot. If they do need fifth starter or if Hamels has a setback delaying his return, next listed starter is Jonathan Pettibone
    how good is Hernandez?

  25. #25
    Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-01-10
    Posts: 16,040
    Betpoints: 12

    Dude is a bum...not worth much...plus he's a Cub which means he comes as a guy who's a loser on top of that! Career 4.19 ERA

  26. #26
    broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-14-09
    Posts: 13,339
    Betpoints: 907

    Cubs want a top prospect that's a year or two from big leagues. They have some very good players in A and AA.

  27. #27
    Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-14-07
    Posts: 12,137

    I wish he would try to play football for a little bit. I bet he still could

  28. #28
    LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar VIP Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 64,712
    Betpoints: 104975

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    how good is Hernandez?
    Had that one great year when he was Fausto Carmona and not much since.

  29. #29
    Carseller4
    Go Cubs Go!
    Carseller4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-22-09
    Posts: 16,778

    I think he will start the year with the Cubs, but is gone by the trade deadline.
    SBR
    Points
    STIFF
    10,000pts

  30. #30
    Chi_archie
    Ghost
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 46,237
    Betpoints: 64

    half the cubs opening day roster will be gone by the deadline


  31. #31
    Big Bear
    Sharp as a Tack!
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-01-11
    Posts: 36,618
    Betpoints: 7661

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Had that one great year when he was Fausto Carmona and not much since.
    i was wondering what happened to Fausto Carmona...

    fausto carmona is a much cooler name than Hernandez.

    This is litterally a Hernandez on every team

Top