1. #1
    uscfootball33
    uscfootball33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-26-07
    Posts: 157
    Betpoints: 630

    Thursday Night ESPN Game...

    This one could get ugly in a hurry. Let's look at the match up:

    *Vanderbilt Offense versus South Carolina Defense: We have a Vanderbilt offense without their only reliable Wide Receiver (George Smith will not be playing), with no running back threats, a brand new offensive line (5 new starters this year) who looked poor against a small conference Miami of Ohio defense, and with only one true offensive threat (their quarterback: Nickson). They will be going up against one of the best defenses in the SEC. This South Carolina defense is very good. NFL Scouts and even an NFL coach has seen this team and commented on the amount of NFL talent on this squad. They were tested early and often in their first game and did not break. Granted it was against an N.C. State team, but that N.C. State team does have a very good offensive line (vastly superior to Vanderbilt's) and a talented running back. Bottom line: South Carolina will load the box and dare Vanderbilt to throw. Nickson (Vanderbilt's dual threat quarterback) is not a passing threat and will be overmatched by the SEC's number 1 rated passing defense from last season.

    *South Carolina Offense versus Vanderbilt Defense: South Carolina looked very poor on offense with first time starter Tommy Beecher (4 interceptions) at the helm. Insert Chris Smelley with his 4-2 record (wins over last year's top 10 Kentucky squad, last year's Mississippi State Bulldogs that went bowling, last year's unimpressive UNC squad, and pancake S.C. State) and things changed in a hurry. Smelley went 5-5 with two touchdowns (some people forget that this guy is just a redshirt Sophmore). Quite simply, the Gamecock offense looked good with Smelley at the helm. Two other important additions that occurred in the fourth quarter that contributed to the offense's improvement was LT Jarriel King (first year player from Georgia Military College that one scout has said looks like a starting NFL left tackle, he is raw, but he is an absolute monster that is grasping the position fast, as evidenced Thursday night against a very capable N.C. State defensive line) and starting running back Mike Davis (punished the first few quarters with limited play for trying to rip open a vending machine to get his sports drink. Hey, we have all been there! Haha!) N.C. State's defense didn't have a chance against this offense in the fourth quarter and lets be frank, N.C. State has a good defense that is clearly superior to Vanderbilit's (Front Seven is vastly superior for N.C. State and I would give the edge to Vanderbilt in the Secondary between the Wolfpack and the Commodores. Vanderbilt is actually solid in the secondary.) Bottom line, South Carolina is going to pound the football and when Vanderbilt gets clever and loads the box (I expect a lot of blitzing), they will not be able to hold off a receiving corps that is led by All-American Kenny McKinley.

    *Special Teams: Both teams have guys who can take it to the house (Moore for Vandy, Munnerlyn and Culliver for South Carolina). Both have good kickers, but Vanderbilt has the better punter (he pinned South Carolina inside the 5 yard line three times in last years game, six times inside the 20 yard line).

    *Home Advantage: Non-existent. Although Vanderbilt is planning a blackout for the game, the stadium will still be half garnet. The Gamecock faithful travel extremely well and are notorious for taking home field advantage away from Vanderbilt in Nashville.

    *Motivation: Of course Vanderbilt is going to be up for this game, but they appear to be a little overconfident. Moore has stated that South Carolina's WRs are "average at best" and I am sure that All-American Kenny McKinley will enjoy putting that statement to the test. In addition, every single member of this Gamecock football team remembers coming into this game last year and overlooking the Dores. You have to remember, this is a young South Carolina team that was 6th in the country last year before losing 5 defensive starters in the process of losing their last 5 games of the season: beginning with Vanderbilt. It's not happening this season. This South Carolina team is pumped up and wants to avenge that loss last season. This game has been marked on the calendar every since the loss last season. For Vanderbilt to win, South Carolina is going to have to beat themselves or Vanderbilt is going to have to be the better team and news flash: they are not the better team.

    *The Verdict: South Carolina will load the box, stuff the run, and force Nickson to beat the SEC's number 1 pass defense with his harm. He will lose this battle. The Gamecocks will then go on offense and exploit an inferior front 7 with the running game. Vanderbilt will then put more in the box, blitz every other down, and get beat by a very accurate (average arm strength though) quarterback in Chris Smelley. Spurrier will not take his foot off the pedal, this team wants redemption and will make a statement.

    *Take South Carolina -10.0 -110
    Last edited by uscfootball33; 09-04-08 at 02:30 PM.

  2. #2
    teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-14-08
    Posts: 25,241

    I rode with vandy on the mL vs miami ohio and their D , I took Vandy over 16.5 at home the possiblity of a DJ Moore kick off/ Punt return and Spurriers QBs passing into the SEC's best secondary should create some short fields. The Gamecock D is Nasty sure Nc state sucks on Offense but I saw alot of speed from the gamecock D... but with that said I think Vandy brings at least 17 at home.

  3. #3
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 37,266
    Betpoints: 2597

    i'd say 10 points is WAY too much for South Carolina to be laying on the road...Vandy is more capable than NC St, and anyone who watched that game knows, South Carolina wasn't all that good either on O, a deceptive final score..

  4. #4
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    " Vandy offense looked bad against a small Ohio school". What game were you watching bro? I thought Vandy looked pretty damn good moving that ball up and down the field for three plus hours!

  5. #5
    teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-14-08
    Posts: 25,241

    Odds makers dont think Vandy can score... Old Chris Nickson here folks, South Carolina D is Good really fast but not Ohio State Good or USC Trojan Good the Vandy team total just went to 15.5 If they hold Vandy under 20 i'll be impressed. I dont think Oddsmakers are taking into consideration that the Gamecock QB's are a Lock to throw 2 INT's a game... against Vandy's Secondary Im expecting more.
    Last edited by teaserpleaser; 09-04-08 at 10:46 PM.

  6. #6
    topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-15-08
    Posts: 1,096

    i will stay away from this game ,it is not a money maker.i would rather take georgia tec against boston colleage.the acc lost one of the best quaterbacks they have ever had,next to rivers.i will get a extra touchdown for 270.easy money.good luck guys.

  7. #7
    topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-15-08
    Posts: 1,096

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    " Vandy offense looked bad against a small Ohio school". What game were you watching bro? I thought Vandy looked pretty damn good moving that ball up and down the field for three plus hours!
    i betted team total south carolina at 29'.i kept turning it back,and forth on espnu,and the little i saw they looked like shit.

  8. #8
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    i betted team total south carolina at 29'.i kept turning it back,and forth on espnu,and the little i saw they looked like shit.
    Maybe if you watched the game dopey you would know that Vandy moved the ball at will and had multiple big plays!

  9. #9
    SECfan23
    SECfan23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-26-07
    Posts: 157

    I think USC is a better team acorss the board. The question is will they eliminate the mistakes. Vandy is better than ncst and will take advatage if we throw a bunch of picks or give them good field position. Nc St had some decent field position last week but still couldnt score. I think Vandy has the capability to score on the short field. But i think that is the only way they will score.

    With the starting QB decision coming early in the week, i think USC will be prepared. If the O-line can hold it together against the Vandy blitz (which will be coming all night) they should be alright. I see alot of screens and short passing and with USC's better athletes, i think they will be able to move the ball fairly well. I see a 27-6 or a 24-9 type score. Vandy will get a few fgs but no TDs.

    And it is a statement game. Revenge game. And i dont know the stats but the gamecocks play very well on Thursday night ESPN games.

    Gamecocks cover.

  10. #10
    topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-15-08
    Posts: 1,096

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    Maybe if you watched the game dopey you would know that Vandy moved the ball at will and had multiple big plays!
    i did.i just was watching the usc game.i know more about ball,and ive been betting longer than you have.you sob. what in the hell is a god damn vandy.they are predicted to be dead last,dumb ass.when is the last time they have been to a bowl,and they have close to 30 bowls.

  11. #11
    topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-15-08
    Posts: 1,096

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    i'd say 10 points is WAY too much for South Carolina to be laying on the road...Vandy is more capable than NC St, and anyone who watched that game knows, South Carolina wasn't all that good either on O, a deceptive final score..
    i agree.they played like a hole new differant team.the offensive master mind will bring the team together.i believe they won their fist 4,or5 games.then they lost the rest of them.it will not happen again.

  12. #12
    topcat
    topcat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-15-08
    Posts: 1,096

    Quote Originally Posted by uscfootball33 View Post
    This one could get ugly in a hurry. Let's look at the match up:

    *Vanderbilt Offense versus South Carolina Defense: We have a Vanderbilt offense without their only reliable Wide Receiver (George Smith will not be playing), with no running back threats, a brand new offensive line (5 new starters this year) who looked poor against a small conference Miami of Ohio defense, and with only one true offensive threat (their quarterback: Nickson). They will be going up against one of the best defenses in the SEC. This South Carolina defense is very good. NFL Scouts and even an NFL coach has seen this team and commented on the amount of NFL talent on this squad. They were tested early and often in their first game and did not break. Granted it was against an N.C. State team, but that N.C. State team does have a very good offensive line (vastly superior to Vanderbilt's) and a talented running back. Bottom line: South Carolina will load the box and dare Vanderbilt to throw. Nickson (Vanderbilt's dual threat quarterback) is not a passing threat and will be overmatched by the SEC's number 1 rated passing defense from last season.

    *South Carolina Offense versus Vanderbilt Defense: South Carolina looked very poor on offense with first time starter Tommy Beecher (4 interceptions) at the helm. Insert Chris Smelley with his 4-2 record (wins over last year's top 10 Kentucky squad, last year's Mississippi State Bulldogs that went bowling, last year's unimpressive UNC squad, and pancake S.C. State) and things changed in a hurry. Smelley went 5-5 with two touchdowns (some people forget that this guy is just a redshirt Sophmore). Quite simply, the Gamecock offense looked good with Smelley at the helm. Two other important additions that occurred in the fourth quarter that contributed to the offense's improvement was LT Jarriel King (first year player from Georgia Military College that one scout has said looks like a starting NFL left tackle, he is raw, but he is an absolute monster that is grasping the position fast, as evidenced Thursday night against a very capable N.C. State defensive line) and starting running back Mike Davis (punished the first few quarters with limited play for trying to rip open a vending machine to get his sports drink. Hey, we have all been there! Haha!) N.C. State's defense didn't have a chance against this offense in the fourth quarter and lets be frank, N.C. State has a good defense that is clearly superior to Vanderbilit's (Front Seven is vastly superior for N.C. State and I would give the edge to Vanderbilt in the Secondary between the Wolfpack and the Commodores. Vanderbilt is actually solid in the secondary.) Bottom line, South Carolina is going to pound the football and when Vanderbilt gets clever and loads the box (I expect a lot of blitzing), they will not be able to hold of a receiving corps that is led by All-American Kenny McKinley.

    *Special Teams: Both teams have guys who can take it to the house (Moore for Vandy, Munnerlyn and Culliver for South Carolina). Both have good kickers, but Vanderbilt has the better punter (he pinned South Carolina inside the 5 yard line three times in last years game, six times inside the 20 yard line).

    *Home Advantage: Non-existent. Although Vanderbilt is planning a blackout for the game, the stadium will still be half garnet. The Gamecock faithful travel extremely well and are notorious for taking home field advantage away from Vanderbilt in Nashville.

    *Motivation: Of course Vanderbilt is going to be up for this game, but they appear to be a little overconfident. Moore has stated that South Carolina's WRs are "average at best" and I am sure that All-American Kenny McKinley will enjoy putting that statement to the test. In addition, every single member of this Gamecock football team remembers coming into this game last year and overlooking the Dores. You have to remember, this is a young South Carolina team that was 6th in the country last year before losing 5 defensive starters in the process of losing their last 5 games of the season: beginning with Vanderbilt. It's not happening this season. This South Carolina team is pumped up and wants to avenge that loss last season. This game has been marked on the calendar every since the loss last season. For Vanderbilt to win, South Carolina is going to have to beat themselves or Vanderbilt is going to have to be the better team and news flash: they are not the better team.

    *The Verdict: South Carolina will load the box, stuff the run, and force Nickson to beat the SEC's number 1 pass defense with his harm. He will lose this battle. The Gamecocks will then go on offense and exploit an inferior front 7 with the running game. Vanderbilt will then put more in the box, blitz every other down, and get beat by a very accurate (average arm strength though) quarterback in Chris Smelley. Spurrier will not take his foot off the pedal, this team wants redemption and will make a statement.

    *Take South Carolina -10.0 -110
    damn good wright up.i also think the offensive master mind found a quarterback in chris smelley.that defense is faster than hell.it will get ugly,but they are better games to bet on ,but good luck to you.

  13. #13
    thejrichshow85
    ban
    thejrichshow85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-15-08
    Posts: 3,342

    SC wins easy.

  14. #14
    konck
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-17-06
    Posts: 11,341
    Betpoints: 485

    Vandy D dominates this game down to the wire last fg wins

  15. #15
    thejrichshow85
    ban
    thejrichshow85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-15-08
    Posts: 3,342

    Quote Originally Posted by konck View Post
    Vandy D dominates this game down to the wire last fg wins
    Ok im convinced , switching my pick time to go pawn everything i own, if your wrong konck im coming after you.

  16. #16
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    i agree.they played like a hole new differant team.the offensive master mind will bring the team together.i believe they won their fist 4,or5 games.then they lost the rest of them.it will not happen again.
    I understand that you love sports and its like a religion in your house but maybe you should go back to school so you can learn to spell a little bit.

  17. #17
    teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-14-08
    Posts: 25,241

    Yeah man its a little hard to read what you wrote.... oh and Good luck on the SC game i could care less who wins or loses i just need Vandy to score 17

  18. #18
    JRS21386
    The Oracle
    JRS21386's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-13-08
    Posts: 2,213

    I'm telling you people, all analysis aside, Vanderbilt WILL cover this game...

  19. #19
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    Quote Originally Posted by JRS21386 View Post
    I'm telling you people, all analysis aside, Vanderbilt WILL cover this game...
    Im sure of it too. Win outright!!

  20. #20
    Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-15-06
    Posts: 6,878

    Smelley looked good in the 4th quarter against an exhausted and beaten NC State defense.

    The offensive line was finally able to open some holes and the running game got going. Once the running game got going, the OL was able to protect Smelley, something they weren't able to do for Beecher, and Smelley put together a nice 4th quarter.

    Personally, I think 10 is way too many to be laying for a Gamecock team that still has unanswered questions at QB and the OL on the road.

    Doc

  21. #21
    Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-03-07
    Posts: 4,742
    Betpoints: 24

    I am posting that this game will go under

  22. #22
    theknuck
    theknuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-28-08
    Posts: 65

    suppose i'm the only one thinking outside the defensive side and betting the over?

  23. #23
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltown View Post
    Im sure of it too. Win outright!!
    First I give you UCLA and now Vandy. Thats two huge dogs. Not to mention Im giving you outright winners and not just taking the points! Thats how I roll baby-o.. Not bad hu Bet Shooter and everyone else who told me to post some plays. Where you at now clique boyz?

  24. #24
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 37,266
    Betpoints: 2597

    God damn feels good to have +10 1/2 in this one!!

  25. #25
    JRS21386
    The Oracle
    JRS21386's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-13-08
    Posts: 2,213

    Good Job Brock, im with you!

  26. #26
    Steeltown
    Steeltown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 384

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    i betted team total south carolina at 29'.i kept turning it back,and forth on espnu,and the little i saw they looked like shit.
    Like I told you, Vandy moved the ball up and down the field. I have no idea what game you were watching but had it been the Vandy game, you would not have said they looked like shit. They are moving at will aginst a solid D tonite.

  27. #27
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 37,266
    Betpoints: 2597

    this game tells you 2 things

    1)Vandy is going to a bowl game this year, Bad O, but will win their share at home and very nice D
    2)NC ST Is Fvcking Horrible, to be beaten like they were by this SC team..they are fade material big time

  28. #28
    teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-14-08
    Posts: 25,241

    Good for Vandy.... my Value team I know SEC fan is sick right now....

  29. #29
    LINE-crush-ER
    LINE-crush-ER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-08
    Posts: 1,445
    Betpoints: 132

    good for vandy they can finally win not just make it close

Top