ritehook
    ritehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

Head Coach HOT SEATERS

Leading off is

SYRACUSE and GREG ROBINSON. Poor guy is not merely in a Hot Seat, he's strapped into the electric chair with the alumni and press calling for an immediate execution.

With creampuffs litterng early sched, could start out 3-1. But then 3 tough Bis East foes,ending in S. Florida. Where Greg may be able to spend the winter, on vacation.

WYOMING's JOE GLENN - Needs a bowl to ride them Cowboys next year. Won't get it. Bye

EASTERN MICHIGAN's JEFF GENYK Promised the moon when he arrived 5 years ago, but delivered only moldy green cheese. Needs to go bowling, not likely. Fly away, Jeff.

KENT STATE'S DOUG MARTIN Another MAC coach who need to deliver post season TY

UNLV's MIKE SANFORD Two wins each of last 3 years isn't endearing. Mike may not have to make a bowl to stay in Vegas, but he probably has to triple the lame production of the last 3 seasons.

UTAH STATE's BRENT GUY A guy who needs to win to stick.
    The poor relative of the good 1-A Utah schools. Gets only the leftovers after BYU and Utah grab the best pigskin Mormons.

Of course there are also the hidden Hot Seaters that only the AD and College Prez know about. They get revealed at season's end.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't follow the MAC a whole lot but agree with the other four coaches listed...

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

How about Ty Willingham in Washington.

He has no chance, none.

He was fired, only to have his AD, Todd Turner take a bullet for him. Turner got fired, Willingham keeps losing and keeps destroying programs wherever he goes.

He was the last BCS conference school to secure a recruiting verbal from an unknown player just last week.

He opens up with Oregon, BYU, and Oklahoma. And now Jake Locker has a bad hamstring.

If Willingham were smart, he would have that resignation letter written in late September.

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    How about Ty Willingham in Washington.

He has no chance, none.

He was fired, only to have his AD, Todd Turner take a bullet for him. Turner got fired, Willingham keeps losing and keeps destroying programs wherever he goes.

He was the last BCS conference school to secure a recruiting verbal from an unknown player just last week.

He opens up with Oregon, BYU, and Oklahoma. And now Jake Locker has a bad hamstring.

If Willingham were smart, he would have that resignation letter written in late September.

Willingham is a tough call. He had an excuse the first few years in that he strictly a West Coast offense guy, and he needed to sign the players right for that system.

But time is running out on Ty in Washington. This could be his last year if he doesn't get some kind of bowl.

Still, he did at least as good a job in South Bend as Weis, who gifted the Irish with their worst record ever last year.

Willingham also led Stanford to the Rose Bowl - not many coaches could do that.

So I'm thinking that Ty really would fit best in a school with high academic standards. Where a premium is put on brains. Where the offensive players won't get headaches studying the playbook.

UW ain't that kind of school. And Stanford got a new young coach who posted two impressive victories last season.

Ok, Ty gets canned with Huskies come December. And Bobby whatshisname over at Vanderbilt (small brainy school in major conference) gets the axe.

Willingham takes the Vandy job. And gets those true "student-athletes" into their first bowl in eons.

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by pags11 View Post
    I don't follow the MAC a whole lot but agree with the other four coaches listed...
    And I'm pretty sure, pags, with your knowledge of college foots, that you know more than the one BCS coach I mentioned who have to deliver this year or get their walking papers in December.

Vandy, as I noted, maybe. Miami, possible. Florida State -------Naw, never! Bobby walks when he want to walk. But the bloom certainly is off the rose in Tallahassee.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks ritehook...Stoops at Arizona and Willingham at Washington come to mind...

Thorpe
    Thorpe's Avatar Become A Pro!

Genyk is not on the hot seat. He beat CMU and WMU last year. He will get another 3 or 4 years minimum.

I's say a MAC coach on the hot seat is Doug Martin at Kent St. He is in his 5th year and is 15-31.

Other coaches, IMO:

Hal Mumme - his act wears thin after a couple of years and he is in his 4th year. Needs 6 wins this year.

Charlie Weis - needs 8 wins, but will have 2 or 3 more years regardless.

Mike Sanford - UNLV, needs 6 wins

Kragthorpe - only 2nd year at Louiville, but he needs to prove he can coach

Bill Stewart - hard to put a caoch on a hot seat in his first year, but WV is expecting 11 wins and they might not get close, due to the parity in the Big East.

Kirk Frentz - Iowa - 3 consecutive poor years plus off-field scandals are not a good combo.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

How can we forget Dave Wannstedt?

He HAS to win this year. He is on borrowed time. He has recruited well, but now he has to win.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dave wannstedt is just a bad coach ... His offenses are always terrible and so predictable hes running that same garbage offense he ran with the dolphins that failed. Daves got his 3 year contract extension but hes also got the dreaded "vote of confidence" from the Pitt athletic director. (the vote of confidence is usually what comes before the pink slip)

ritehook

thorpe,

Weis and Stewart are not on hot seat. Hot seats are reserved for coaches who MUST produce THIS YEAR. As you say, ol' Charlie will be given a few more years, but I expect him to do well this year. When your team has more movies made about it than any combo of other sports teams you're gonna recruit, and I-Rich do, and will rise again. (And of course the most famous fight song of any sports team in the universe.)

Stewart has likewise a few years. Ditto Kragthorpe, who btw did prove he could coach by taking doormat Tulsa to the top in just a few years.

I did, on the OP, mention Sanford of UNLV. If he doesn't make it happen in Vegas, he won't stay in Vegas.

I agree with you re Ferentz. I keep hearing and reading (for years now) what a great coach ol' Kirk is. Well, prove it. So far he hasn't. But they seem to love him there. Go figure.

ritehook

Yep, mb and tp, i did forgot Dave Wannstedt. And right, how could I?

Dave couldn't do it in NFL,and has not been good so far in college. With the hype the Panthers are gettting this year, he has to produce or he's surely gone.

The pratfall he took yesterday vs B Green won't help his cause.

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

DAVE WANNSTEDT. Gone, after this year. Guaranteed. I think they play Buffalo this week, and if it's big spread I'm all over the Bulls.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

And you can add Tommy Bowden to the list....... this was supposed to be their year. And if Pitt gets rid of Dave Wannstedt, who are they going to get? Matt Cavanaugh? Alex Van Pelt? The recruits are there, but he is just a horrible gameday coach.

ritehook

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    And you can add Tommy Bowden to the list....... this was supposed to be their year. And if Pitt gets rid of Dave Wannstedt, who are they going to get? Matt Cavanaugh? Alex Van Pelt? The recruits are there, but he is just a horrible gameday coach.
    Yeah, Clemson,living on constant hype, and I bought into in on Sat. Even the ABC/espn announcers wre saying that the Tigers did not seem ready, and the coaching was basically lame.

Hmm,wonder if both daddy and son will get the boot in December. FSU will never boot Bobby, he's like a park statue there, but maybe some arsenic in his morning coffee . . .