bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wyoming coach apologizes for flipping bird during Utah game

I can't blame Glenn giving Whittingham the finger after attempting an on-side kick when they already had a 43 point lead in the game.

Wyoming coach apologizes for flipping bird during Utah game

CASPER, Wyo. -- Wyoming coach Joe Glenn didn't like how Utah tried an onside kick with a 43-point lead, and he let coach Kyle Whittingham know by giving him the finger.

Mountain West Conference officials planned Monday to review tape of the game in Salt Lake City. The nationally televised incident could prompt the conference to publicly reprimand Glenn.

"Usually on Monday morning is when we get into the office and review anything that happened over the weekend," league spokesman Javan Hedlund said.

Glenn apologized for the gesture Monday.

"I met with my team on Sunday and apologized to them for the gesture I made toward the Utah bench during the game," Glenn said in a statement. "I also want to apologize to all fans for that action. Football is an emotional game, and I let my emotions get the best of me. I felt it was appropriate for me to let my team and all fans know that I am truly sorry for that emotional moment."

Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman said he viewed Glenn's gesture as a one-time occurrence.

"Coach Glenn should not have responded in the manner that he did and for that we are sorry. Coach Glenn has been a great ambassador for the University of Wyoming, and I view this action as a one-time incident that is out of character for him."

Glenn said after the 50-0 loss that he didn't remember giving the finger.

"Honest to God, I can't even respond to it," Glenn said. "Maybe, I don't know."

According to the conference handbook, obscene gestures or language are subject to at least a reprimand for a first offense.

Utah (7-3, 4-2 Mountain West) tried the onside kick in the third quarter Saturday. Glenn gave Whittingham the finger when Wyoming (5-5, 2-4) recovered.

Glenn said at a weekly student luncheon earlier in the week that he could guarantee a win against Utah. Late in the game, the crowd of 42,000 began chanting "guarantee" and Glenn said afterward that he regretted making the promise.

"I got emotional last week and got my big Irish mouth going and made the guarantee," he said. "I'd probably like to have it back now. I wouldn't do it again.

"Find the crow and I'll eat it."

Wyoming has lost four of its last five, is no longer a competitor for the conference title and is all but eliminated from postseason consideration. The Cowboys would need to upset conference-leading BYU this Saturday to earn a bowl bid.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Damn...And I thought Bellicheat was bad! LOL

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Glenn needs to man up. When you guarantee a win -- a la some of the 'lock picks' here -- and you lose, then people are always going to give you a hard time. Whittingham and the onside kick are a bit over the top, but at the same time I'm not going to blame any coach or team for running a score up after the other coach shot his big trap off and promised a win.