bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Motor City Bowl Preview

**Akron versus Memphis**

Akron has already reached unprecedented heights this football season, making its first Division I-A bowl appearance by winning the Mid-American Conference. The postseason is starting to become routine for the Memphis program, and wants its best-ever player going out on a winning note.

Las Vegas Sports Consultants opened Memphis as a 5 1/2-point ‘chalk’ over Akron, with the total set at 48. ESPN will provide coverage of the Motor City Bowl from Detroit’s Ford Field on Monday, December 26 at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Akron (7-5 both straight up and against the spread) is playing its best football of the season after winning its last three games both SU and ATS. The Zips slipped past Northern Illinois Dec. 1 as a decided 13 1/2-point road underdog, 31-30. The combined 61 points went ‘over’ the 54-point closing total.

Akron appeared to be finished before scoring three fourth-quarter touchdowns. The Zips finished the contest with advantages in first downs (27-19) and passing yards (413-110) while being outdistanced in rushing yards (250-105). Akron also committed eight penalties for 70 yards.

Quarterback Luke Getsy was 30-of-50 passing for 413 yards with a touchdown and an interception, and Brett Biggs ran 20 times for 70 yards with a score. Wideout Domenik Hixon stepped up with eight catches for 144 yards and a touchdown in the victory.

Memphis (6-5 SU, 5-5 ATS) has won back-to-back games SU and three consecutive ATS after pounding Marshall Nov. 26 as a 10-point home favorite, 26-3. There was no total on that contest.

That victory helped the Tigers become bowl eligible for the third consecutive year, and they were never seriously threatened by the Thundering Herd. Memphis finished the contest with advantages in rushing yards (243-57) and turnovers forced (3-1), but managed an embarrassing minus three yards passing.

Signal caller Maurice Avery was 1-of-8 passing for minus three yards, while rushing 19 times for 93 yards. Running back DeAngelo Williams was the star of the contest, rushing 27 times for 127 yards with two touchdowns.

Akron and Memphis have not played each other the previous five years.

Akron has no new major injuries heading into this contest, while Memphis defensive tackles Ryan Williams (shoulder) and LaVale Washington (back) are ‘probable.’

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dan, I'm on Akron +6 here...I like Akron's balance and feel they are a little underrated coming into this game...RB Williams is a stud for Memphis, but they have WR Avery taking a lot of the snaps at QB...Akron also has experience playing in this dome about three weeks ago with the MAC championship game and they should travel well in this one...

bigboydan

i have no opinion on this game at all pags. infact, i probly won't even play it.

good luck with your play though

pags11

thanks dan...I use bowl games mainly to scout for next year...real light units, but it's fun to watch the game during the holidays...keep an eye on WR Dixon for Akron, the guy's a stud and most people don't know about him...hopefully you cashed on BYU +7.5 or +8 like we talked about...sweated that one quite a bit, but we go the cover...

EBone
    Washington State +140 over Wichita State
    EBone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

FYI. In case anyone is interested, power ratings yield:

Memphis by 2.5
    Total: 46

E

bigboydan

thanks for sharing Ebone. but, i'm still going to pass on this game personaly.

applepicks
    applepicks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

Its Memphis for me today. I'm off to the store to stock the beer for bowl game then the MNF game. Good Luck.APPLE

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on Memphis tonight.

pags11

looks like I'm gonna lose here by a point...so, congrats to all Memphis backers...they played well, and RB Williams is an absolute horse...good job guys...onto tommorrow...

bigboydan

i missed the end of this game. when i got back. i seen it was 23-17 with about 8 minutes left in the game. and, then just seen the final score, WTF happen anyways ?