Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 444

Conference Championship Games Need To Be Discontinued

When they go to the 12 team playoff, I believe they should discard the conference championship games. It could give an unfair advantage to teams that potentially miss that game, but get an at large bid in the National playoff. This year for instance, teams in the Top 12 of the playoff ratings like Ohio State, Missouri, Penn State, and Oklahoma could literally get a bye before the playoff while the losers of that conference championship would have to play the first week, or even miss the National tournament all together.

Give the Top 4 seeds to the highest ranked regular season champion of each major conference, and then let the chips fall where they may for the other 8 seeds. Less would actually be more in this case.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24894

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    When they go to the 12 team playoff, I believe they should discard the conference championship games. It could give an unfair advantage to teams that potentially miss that game, but get an at large bid in the National playoff. This year for instance, teams in the Top 12 of the playoff ratings like Ohio State, Missouri, Penn State, and Oklahoma could literally get a bye before the playoff while the losers of that conference championship would have to play the first week, or even miss the National tournament all together.

Give the Top 4 seeds to the highest ranked regular season champion of each major conference, and then let the chips fall where they may for the other 8 seeds. Less would actually be more in this case.
    I think there's merit to your post, KLC. A few retorts:

1) Of course, it's always about money.
    ...Conf Champ games are fairly recent. Remember how important those regular season clashes were?

2) Coll FB championship history is pretty bizarre.
    ...For so long, there really was no Coll FB championship. It was a mythical National championship decided by a vote. And the AP/UPI often produced a split national championship.

3) If the NCAA expands to a 12-team playoff, I'd be on-board with eliminating the Conf Championship round.
    ...Selection of the 12 teams should be a combination of Automatic and At-Large.
    ...If a team wins a Major Conf, that's an automatic bid.
    ...My one retort on this = the Conferences re-grouping surely did so with the Conf Championship game in mind. The re-grouping is actually counter-intuitive to the idea of a conference. Conference implies H2H games, and these conferences are now too bloated to play H2H in a given season.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24894

KLC, I think 2023 is a bad year for the 4-team playoff. It's not going to work out right.

I sometimes jot down how a 12-team playoff would look. First two games are on Home sites.

I believe the top Mid Major team should be included in a 12-team bracket. This year, I think that would be SMU (not Liberty).

I switched a couple seeds to dodge Conf re-matches. How do you like this?

9 Okla @ 8 Oreg
    ...Winner @ 1 Mich

12 SMU @ 5 Georgia
    ...Winner @ 4 Texas

10 LSU @ 7 Ohio St
    ...Winner @ 2 Wash

11 Penn St @ 6 FlaSt
    ...Winner @ 3 Alab

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

I agree KLC like your idea. They can keep conference champ games for non-power conf. But what happens to dr. pepper at the half and those underhand throws? If a non power team gets bid they can sit out that game.

risKingDigits
    risKingDigits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post

Not to mention, the risk of injury to NFL draft prospects. They are about to make big time money, the last thing they want is to risk injury for the few games separating them from a huge lifestyle change.