GWOZOZO
    GWOZOZO's Avatar Become A Pro!

NCAA Greedy Fat Cats Have Manziel in Their Sights

Why won't they give these kids a great. They're already making millions off the backs of these athletes. These kids pack the stadiums! http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...230350855.html

GWOZOZO

These kids need a Union! And don't give me that "student athlete" bullshit!

doctordeuce
    doctordeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Just with this potential news today the line versus Rice went from -29 to -26.5, which sucks cause I want Rice and as many points as I can get.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Manziel doesn't have to play college football.

There are plenty of semi-pro teams in his home state of Texas, there is the CFL.

He has options if he doesn't like the way the rules are set up.

Gameday
    Gameday's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 541

So is he getting banned from college football? Or suspended for a year? I was away this weekend and only heard mumbles about it...

Jimmydafreak
    Jimmydafreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by doctordeuce View Post
    Just with this potential news today the line versus Rice went from -29 to -26.5, which sucks cause I want Rice and as many points as I can get.
    Me too. I was loving +29.

Jimmydafreak
    Jimmydafreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

Quote Originally Posted by Gameday View Post
    So is he getting banned from college football? Or suspended for a year? I was away this weekend and only heard mumbles about it...
    He's being investigated by the NCAA.

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

The guy is an idiot!

I could understand some broke kid doing it, but this kid's family is loaded. I don't think he ever has to worry about money for pizza on the weekend.

Everyone knows the rules. When you get caught breaking them and put your team's year in jeopardy don't bitch about it

balls2wall
    balls2wall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6601

...and just like scam newton, it will probably be hard for the ncaa to prove

Huckleberry Pig
    Huckleberry Pig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Manziel doesn't have to play college football.

There are plenty of semi-pro teams in his home state of Texas, there is the CFL.

He has options if he doesn't like the way the rules are set up.
    Agreed. Bob Stoops has a great take on this that everyone should read. Talks about how they get free education, books, tutors, room and board (including food), clothing, ELITE workout facilities, ELITE personal trainers, ELITE coaching, etc, etc, etc. that is probably worth more than $100k a year. He thinks these kids are extremely well compensated for and I tend to agree with him. Like Sam said, there are other options.

Also, even if a player doesn't make it to the NFL, being able to put that you graduated college and were a football player at "xyz" university looks extremely impressive on a resume and really helps in finding a job after college. Knew two of the guys that played for the Arkansas Razorbacks while I was there and both of them got great jobs after college that they weren't qualified for (both dumb as a rock) but they had the job set up for them because of their status in college as Razorback Football Players.

Just my $.02

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The NCAA has all kinds of experience in these kind of matters. Right Ohio State? This kid is going to get what he really deserves. A big time a** whippin by the NCAA. His career at A&M is finished. What a loser. I guess my LSU -1 futures wager is looking pretty good now. The line for the Rice A&M game has dropped to 26.5, for those books who still offer it.
    Last edited by BigdaddyQH; 08-05-13 at 11:57 AM.

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm not a huge fan of Manziel's off-the-field behaviour, but this story smells funny to me, as it came out on the first day of Aggie training camp. Sensational for the media, yes. Easy to prove, no. I won't be shocked if none of this sticks to him and he ends up playing the full season.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i think the NCAA is incredibly hypocritical. what they let coaches get away with compared to players is unbelievable.... why do players often have to sit out a year to transfer? whereas coaches don't have to.

GWOZOZO

I can't believe some of these comments. The system is corrupt. These kids are being exploited to the max. They deserve a share of the "cake". Yet most of these comments are about rules this and rules that.

Killer_Demo
    209 Street-Tough
    Killer_Demo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4201

They need to stop sweating this kid. NCAA makes too much as it is.

SamDiamond
    SamDiamond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by GWOZOZO View Post
    I can't believe some of these comments. The system is corrupt. These kids are being exploited to the max. They deserve a share of the "cake". Yet most of these comments are about rules this and rules that.
    Let's take a look at this "corrupt" system.

And, as an example, look at programs like Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan, Cal.-- just as examples.

These "victims" receive 160K scholarship at a Top 20 academic institution---which includes books and housing. They are given world class training facilities, state of the art nutrition, and the opportunity to graduate with their degree of choice, completely free of debt.

Less than 1% of them will move on to the NFL, so the degree they earn matters. If they aren't smart enough to take advantage of that situation, what can I say?

Let me ask you this. Suppose a PhD candidate in the Biochem lab at Cal discovers a protein that allows Merck to manufacture a new cholesterol medication, do you think that PhD candidate gets a piece of Merck's pie?

They don't. That intellectual property belongs to Cal as long as they are a student there, using university facilities.

GWOZOZO

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    Let's take a look at this "corrupt" system.

And, as an example, look at programs like Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan, Cal.-- just as examples.

These "victims" receive 160K scholarship at a Top 20 academic institution---which includes books and housing. They are given world class training facilities, state of the art nutrition, and the opportunity to graduate with their degree of choice, completely free of debt.

Less than 1% of them will move on to the NFL, so the degree they earn matters. If they aren't smart enough to take advantage of that situation, what can I say?

Let me ask you this. Suppose a PhD candidate in the Biochem lab at Cal discovers a protein that allows Merck to manufacture a new cholesterol medication, do you think that PhD candidate gets a piece of Merck's pie?

They don't. That intellectual property belongs to Cal as long as they are a student there, using university facilities.
    A lot of these kids weren't ready academically for college to begin with. Once in college, their lives revolves around football, not reading, writing, and sharpening their intellect. And to keep them on the field, most of the University compromise this supposed education further with special classes. I'm not saying every player should be paid, period; it's too complicated (what about the third stream QB). Mark Rogers had an interesting take on the matter. I totally agree with him that players should be able to profit from their celebrity status.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjojhjbEtEw

GWOZOZO