Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Mike Rose: INDEPENDENCE BOWL - Bama vs Ok State

INDEPENDENCE BOWL: Bama vs Ok State

Game Time: 12/28/2006 4:30:00 PM

By: Mike Rose
    Sports Handicapping - Sports Gambling - Online Betting - Who To Bet On

The underdog Alabama Crimson Tide are the right play in the Independence Bowl versus the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

So, let me get this straight. The Independence Bowl will be played in SEC territory (Shreveport, LA), and the Tide has been installed as underdogs against a mid-tiered Big 12 squad. Holy wow is all I can say!

The Cowboys were a very fun team to watch this season, but they were a completely different team when playing away from the comfy confines of Boone Pickens Stadium. They went 2-4 SU and only covered 50% of the time. HC Mike Gundy has done a commendable job in Stillwater since taking over for Les Miles who bolted to LSU, but I’ve got a feeling he’s venturing into a hornet’s nest in this spot.

Now Alabama wasn’t the greatest the SEC had to offer this season, but they’re still a solid football team. They gave the upper echelon squads in their conference fits, and should be able to give this young Cowpokes club a major run for their money. I personally think the firing of Mike Shula will benefit this club greatly this evening. His choices on the field were at most times terrible, and his in-game decision making won’t be missed.

This will be one of the better defenses the Cowboys will have seen all season. 'Bama held the potent Hawaii, Arkansas, Tennessee, and LSU attacks to a combined 21 PPG. That’s nothing to shake a stick at, and their speed and athleticism should be able to contain Ok State QB Bobby Reid and force him into a couple mistakes that have plagued him all season long.

If this game were held closer to Cowboy territory, I might think about backing the Orange in this matchup. However, with it being in SEC country, I see absolutely no reason to believe QB John Parker Wilson and the Bama defense can’t get it done.

Play:
    Alabama +115

BuddyBear
    Update your status
    BuddyBear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4805

I like Alabama too Willie for all the same reasons you listed....

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Well, that's pretty weird Buddy Bear. Got no reason why it's showing me as the thread starter inside the thread but lists the auto-poster 'SBR Forum Staff' when viewing from the College Football Forum page

I like Alabama as well. But I'm not so sure about this tout's logic being that Shreveport is 'SEC Country' and making it sound like Okie State is traveling a bunch more to get there. Shreveport is almost exactly halfway between Stillwater and Tuscaloosa, and though LSU fans are the majority, there's a good mix of college sports fans in Shreveport.

That aside, 'Bama would bring more fans to a bowl game just about anywhere but Stillwater than Oklahoma State, so that part of the logic is sound.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm on Bama in this game myself guys.

Rooooooooooooooll tide

prickbeater101
    prickbeater101's Avatar Become A Pro!

Alabama gets it done in this one. Time for the Big 12 to get a taste of the SEC...ROLL BAMA

Aces
    Aces's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Get-R-Done BAMA !!!

sweetpete57@
    Dapper Capper
    sweetpete57@'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Okla. St. sucks. Bama's no good, but they have more tradition, they'll have more fans, and they played better against good teams during the season. I think 'Bama is a solid choice +2.

'Bama +2 Small Play
    'Bama MNY +115 Smaller Play

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4675

GO TIDE!!!

Again, I like Alabama it this bowl game.

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

with you here willie bee...GL bud...

zoneblitz
    zoneblitz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Roll, Tide!

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good luck Alabama backers. I went ahead and passed on this one.

Ponies101
    Ponies101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

Omg

Gawd, Alabama gave Mississippi St. their one and only conference win this season, Oklahoma St. in a cruise in this bowl game, if you can call a game between two teams that each lost 6 of their last 9 game a bowl game,ugh.