ZBOIZ
    ZBOIZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9739

LSU Fall Scrimmage!!! Article for you guys to READ for your betting SAKE

Receivers stand out in LSU's scrimmage

Defense missing several players projected to start
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 By James Varney
    Staff writer

BATON ROUGE -- With the defense handicapped by the absence of three probable starters, the LSU offense got the best of the team's first scrimmage Saturday at Tiger Stadium, according to Coach Les Miles.
    Several players were mentioned after the scrimmage for competent performances, but none seemed to sparkle, judging from Miles' remarks. He labeled the outing "half scrimmage, half practice."
    The proceedings were closed to the media and the public, but they were open to select boosters.
    Advertisement

Sophomore quarterback Jordan Jefferson played well and moved the chains, but he also made a mistake on reading the safeties that led to an interception that killed a solid scoring chance, Miles said.
    Jefferson completed nine of 14 passes, and Jarrett Lee was 7-of-14.
    The first and second units each got 25 snaps, and the third team got a handful or reps. Sixteen plays were dedicated to special teams.
    Seniors Charles Scott and Keiland Williams and junior Richard Murphy reportedly got most of the carries from the tailback spot. Miles said celebrated freshman Russell Shepard took six snaps from the tailback position.
    In the past week the staff has stressed Shepard will be used in a variety of offensive packages. In practices Shepard has run drills as a quarterback and as a wide receiver, and Miles said Shepard played three positions in the scrimmage.
    The receiving corps was perhaps the sharpest unit on the field. Miles singled out senior Brandon LaFell, junior Terrance Toliver and freshman Rueben Randle for good catches, and he said senior R.J. Jackson was also in the mix. He also said senior Chris Mitchell and redshirt freshman Chris Tolliver played well, which indicates the competition for the No. 2 and No. 3 receiving slots behind LaFell is producing marked improvement in the overall unit.
    "We were sharp on offense at times; a little mistake here and there cost us in performance," Miles said. "I think the offense won."
    But that was a qualified victory because three defensive starters, senior defensive end Rahim Alem and senior linebackers Jacob Cutrera and Perry Riley, were held out. Riley appears the most seriously dinged of the bunch and has missed several practices with a left shoulder ailment, but Miles said he expects all three back on the field when LSU resumes preseason camp Monday with two-a-day practice.
    The offense is also grooved in its third year under coordinator Gary Crowton, and new defensive coordinator John Chavis has not yet implemented all his schematic wrinkles. In other words, the offense wasn't facing the best defense LSU can put on the field or anything like the defense LSU should have in place for its opener on Sept. 5 at Washington.
    With Riley and Cutrera out, the first linebacking corps was junior Kelvin Sheppard, senior Harry Coleman and sophomore Ryan Baker. But freshman Barkevious Mingo also played, and Miles predicted additional reps for players such as him will help the Tigers as the Southeastern Conference season unfolds.
    Chavis has made the same point. In a perfect world, he said, he would like to have 28 defenders "SEC ready."

dle
    dle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think the Gators hit a road block in Baton Rouge. Looking forward to seeing Randle play some ball, I hear he's coming along very well over camp.

ZBOIZ

dle

Rueben Randle will be this year Julio Jones. They guy is bigger than Lafell.

We will have 2 big time impact freshmans this year

Rueben Randle and Russel Sheppard

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Z, I know you are going to find this shocking but...there are 119 other Division 1-A teams...and all of them have reports like you just posted.

I can pick any team in Division 1-A football and find a puffy piece to read about camp.

Honestly, can you name a team that isn't hopeful at this point of the season?

TheSystem
    TheSystem's Avatar Become A Pro!

Randle won't have anything close to the after the catch ability Jones showed as a freshman. I sat with my jaw on the floor watching him drag LSU defenders 15 yrd down the field multiple times in that game in Baton Rouge last season.

ZBOIZ

Martin this is a report from a scrimmage. I read a lot of reports from other teams.

But thanks I know they have 119 teams. Thanks!

ZBOIZ

Quote Originally Posted by TheSystem View Post
    Randle won't have anything close to the after the catch ability Jones showed as a freshman. I sat with my jaw on the floor watching him drag LSU defenders 15 yrd down the field multiple times in that game in Baton Rouge last season.
    Just a lot of experts are saying he will be the next freshman to make a impact at WR

TheSystem
    TheSystem's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    Just a lot of experts are saying he will be the next freshman to make a impact at WR
    I fully agree. I just think there will be very few to ever play like Jones did as a freshman. I know his numbers don't jump off the page at you because of the system he plays in down there, but in terms of sheer physicality, hands, and ability after the catch......WOW.

ZBOIZ

Yea Julio is a monster

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Quote Originally Posted by ZBOIZ View Post
    Yea Julio is a monster
    yet AJ Green had better numbers and didnt make the 1st team ALL SEC

ZBOIZ

MMike AJ is a beast also

Jimmydafreak
    Jimmydafreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

How has RR looked so far ZBOIZ?

I assume you like LSU minus whatever in week 1? I can't see how they don't cover this even though betting on them would violate just about every gambling rule I hold sacrosanct. It's very tempting!!!

FREAK OUT!!!

ZBOIZ

He's been looking great from what the reports say. Les Miles dont let the public to practice so I have'nt seen yet in person but I heard he will get extensive playing time.