MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Anyone try their hand at college fantasy football?

Some of the pre-season mags have ads for college fantasy, wonder if anyone has given it a go?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

To me, it's a little more fun when players are limited to a conference. The entire NCAA is a little too much to handle.

Dimwhit
    Dimwhit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I've played it for a few years. It's fun if you like College FB, plus it gave me a good overview of players in conferences I don't follow otherwise. Seems to me that the way you win is different in CFB than NFL. It boils down to trying to get the Texas Tech QB and Receivers. Then pick up players based on who is playing Baylor, Vanderbuilt, Duke or any other conference dog. Chances are the RBs and WRs going against those bad teams will do better than USCs WR, etc. In my league, pretty much everyone averaged 5-6 pickups a week.

We did limit to the 6 major BCS conferences to help reduce the pool of available players. Plus, the Sun, MAC, WAC can get crazy.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

I think my new league for nfl would be even better for cfb.

nfl-handicapping/182996-thoughts-new-fant
    asy-league.html

I dont know why link isnt working, just going to copy n paste...

I've had this idea for a few years now. Im not claiming I invented it but I have never seen it before. It is basically a mix of standard leagues with survivor leagues.

Roster would be beef'd up(2xQB, 3RB, 3WR,2TE,2K,2 DEF)
    Scoring be similiar to regular leagues
    There would be no draft. You would have access to every player.
    Every week you pick X number of players to fill the roster and try to achieve the maxium number of points in that week or head to head to beat your opponent that week.
    Whatever players are selected for your roster on any given week must remain on the bench the following 2 weeks.(Player plays week 3, cannot play again until week 6)
    Winner would be decided by most points at the end of the year or we can do W/L into a playoff setup.(personally Id rather do season total)

using brees as an example

if you started with him in week 1 on your team

Week 1 vs Detroit
    Week 2 bench
    week 3 bench
    week 4 vs nyj
    week 5 bench (also saints bye-week)
    week 6 bench
    week 7 vs miami
    week 8 bench
    week 9 bench
    week 10 vs stl
    week 11 bye
    week 12 bye
    week 13 vs was
    week 14 bench
    week 15 bench
    week 16 vs tampa
    week 17 bench

so you could get 6 starts out of brees this season. But, i would be willing to bet their will be better matchups available week 13 or 16 for example. I think using any player 6 times will be risky. Brees could get a weak 13 points one week, while another mediocre Qb could be facing one of the leagues worst passing defenses. I think looking into matchups would be what gets you the most points, not just relying on few guys to carry you, which basically is what a regular league does.

so basically you would have access to all division 1 players. But, the bench rule means people can not use the same players every week. Whoever could breakdown the weekly matchups would win for sure. For college tho, prolly make the bench rule longer like 3 weeks, so you could only use any given player 3 times throughout the season. Also increase the roster by a few players.
    Last edited by brooks85; 08-14-09 at 02:03 PM.

Team Myers
    Team Myers's Avatar Become A Pro!

this will be my 3rd year of doing college fantasy - draft on tues nite actually.
    if you love college, then fantasy is great! really helps you in picking WAC/MTN West/MAC games when you study players

TodaysAction
    http://www.winningwithtodaysaction.net/
    TodaysAction's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7276

If you're going to do this, make certain you get both tandems (qb & wr/te). For example, Boise States' Moore & Pettis & Efaw and CMU's LeFevour & Brown from "smaller conferences".