No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

The end of the North Texas/ULL game last night

I took the day off from gambling completely -- didn't even look at lines. Decided to be a fan, enjoy watching Verlander pitch and root on the Tigers.

Anyway, when the game finishes, I flip over to ESPN2 to watch Baseball Tonight. The end of this shitfest NT/ULL game is on. It's 30-23 NT with a little over a minute left. NT scores a TD to make it 36-23, but the play gets called back for an illegal formation (too many men in the backfield). They play it back and the announcers are perplexed. Nothing wrong with the way NT was lined up. So I go and check to see what the side and total was. Sure enough, the O/U was 56.

Nothing fishy about that at all.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Cool story brah...;-)

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

The announcers had no idea about the lines, which was fustrating.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    Cool story brah...;-)
    Nice hit on NT BTW.

I feel bad for anyone who had the over.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Agreed.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

Your life is empty

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie1412 View Post

Your life is empty
    Actually, I had the day off yesterday and spent all day with my kids and wife. Watched the last three innings of the Tiger game after they went to sleep. It was a good day. Thanks for your concern though.
    Points Awarded:

infamousbacardi gave No coincidences 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

areallygoodnoob gave No coincidences 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife, turbozed, and areallygoodnoob

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    The announcers had no idea about the lines, which was fustrating.
    Ware seemed particularly perplexed. Maybe he was on the over.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

I had the under and when they scored the touchdown I chucked the remote and got up and turned the game off. I only found out this morning that my under actually won. Now that's a cool story, brah!

theangryelf
    theangryelf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

i had north texas and the over parlayed...that game had many opportunities to go over. the worst of them was the 4th and goal for north texas and they ran the ball up the middle with like all 11 defenders in the box. kick the fg and at least it would have been a push. oh well serves me right to bet on a game like that in the sun belt....maybe they will be the new mac

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

I had the over.

There is only one other game where I honestly felt like the game was rigged to my detriment and that was a Akron/Miami OH game a few years back.

When I think about it, I must've been on the winning side of some of these fixes without knowing it at least once or twice too.

Anybody with experience and is generally NOT a conspiracy theorist know more about how often this type of thing happens?

possum11
    possum11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 948

Ever seen a jockey fall off a horse? All the time.

turbozed

I meant in CFB. And if there's any trends in different conferences. I know the MAC has had its share of accusations, especially due to weekday games and the amount of action on meaningless games.

Also it just occurred to me that another TD was wiped off the board when UNT was stopped at the goal line. Ball crossed the plane on 3rd down and it was reviewed and not given to UNT.

More supporting evidence, perhaps...

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

It wasnt too many ppl in te backfield, it was too many ppl on the line, which they did have

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I also had the over and NT parlayed, I don't know if its true but I was talking to a guy on ESPN comment board, and he said he had 50k on the over. Said he came into a lot of money, using 10k units he currently has 117 of them.

Put my couple hundred dollar loss in perspective.

A4K
    A4K's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 241

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I took the day off from gambling completely -- didn't even look at lines. Decided to be a fan, enjoy watching Verlander pitch and root on the Tigers.

Anyway, when the game finishes, I flip over to ESPN2 to watch Baseball Tonight. The end of this shitfest NT/ULL game is on. It's 30-23 NT with a little over a minute left. NT scores a TD to make it 36-23, but the play gets called back for an illegal formation (too many men in the backfield). They play it back and the announcers are perplexed. Nothing wrong with the way NT was lined up. So I go and check to see what the side and total was. Sure enough, the O/U was 56.

Nothing fishy about that at all.

I think that bogus call had more to do with keeping it a one score game than trying to screw over backers.

I've probably written this 100 times,but here goes again.....

Whether it's the NFL, NBA, or college football, TV deals are king. TV deals are where the real revenues come from. Because NT was denied that rightful touchdown, the game stayed within one score, which is great for ESPN because it keeps people watching. ULL still had an outside chance of tying the game at that point which would have been great for the TV broadcast.

Think about it.....

ULL stays alive with that bogus call. They eventually stop North Texas and then march down the field for a dramatic game tying score! ESPN retains more viewers and yet another weekday college matchup is exciting and worth watching til the very end! That's the scenario that ESPN was hoping for.

I have no doubt in my mind that officials are indirectly told to keep things close, if they can, down the home stretch of nationally televised games. Whether it's the NFL, NBA, or NCAA, TV is the grand master. Billions of dollars flow into these leagues from television deals. It's in the league's interests to make sure PRIMETIME or nationally televised games stay competitive and close, down to the last commercials.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    It wasnt too many ppl in te backfield, it was too many ppl on the line, which they did have
    I thought the announcers stated that the left tackle was far enough off of the line of scrimmage, in their opinion.

testertips
    testertips's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
    I think that bogus call had more to do with keeping it a one score game than trying to screw over backers.

I've probably written this 100 times,but here goes again.....

Whether it's the NFL, NBA, or college football, TV deals are king. TV deals are where the real revenues come from. Because NT was denied that rightful touchdown, the game stayed within one score, which is great for ESPN because it keeps people watching. ULL still had an outside chance of tying the game at that point which would have been great for the TV broadcast.

Think about it.....

ULL stays alive with that bogus call. They eventually stop North Texas and then march down the field for a dramatic game tying score! ESPN retains more viewers and yet another weekday college matchup is exciting and worth watching til the very end! That's the scenario that ESPN was hoping for.

I have no doubt in my mind that officials are indirectly told to keep things close, if they can, down the home stretch of nationally televised games. Whether it's the NFL, NBA, or NCAA, TV is the grand master. Billions of dollars flow into these leagues from television deals. It's in the league's interests to make sure PRIMETIME or nationally televised games stay competitive and close, down to the last commercials.
    all nt had to do was run out the clock on kneel downs which they did after that phantom call. if they wanted to keep the game more exciting they would have overruled that last fumble. i don't disagree with you regarding television rating, but the refs obviously had the under in this game.

turbozed

^ Yup.

I think the situation was that there was 1:40 left and ULL had run out of timeouts. I didn't know why UNT didn't take knees but it would've made more sense for ratings purposes to give the ball back to ULL down 14 with 1:30 left than to see what we saw when the play was called back...which was UNT taking knees.

A4K

Quote Originally Posted by testertips View Post
    all nt had to do was run out the clock on kneel downs which they did after that phantom call. if they wanted to keep the game more exciting they would have overruled that last fumble. i don't disagree with you regarding television rating, but the refs obviously had the under in this game.

You could be right. I believe North Texas had one timeout remaining at that point in the game.

I've loosely kept track of primetime and nationally televised football and basketball games. I'm amazed at the frequency with which strange calls pop up late in games where one team is about to seal the game. These situations happen far too frequently to be a coincidence.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

i had the over, i didn't watch the 2nd half. I thought the first half would be around a total of 24-28 points, not 19. But there was a long bomb pass dropped by the NT player, and that late penalty near the goal line by the NT player, they'd go for a fied goal. Those things you can't predict in handicapping.

GatorFan
    GatorFan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Actually, I had the day off yesterday and spent all day with my kids and wife. Watched the last three innings of the Tiger game after they went to sleep. It was a good day. Thanks for your concern though.
    Real man has to spend time with his wife and kids...

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

Quote Originally Posted by testertips View Post
    agreed with this dude, officials arent told to keep things close, they have no stake in tv ratings, they play the game however their paid to play it, the few that do take bribes, this one was just coincidentally on the under which intern "kept it close"