dom75
    dom75's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 511

Does the Heisman Trophy = the kiss of career death

I know the Heisman is awarded to great college players, but what college player really wants to win one. It seems to me that alot of Heisman winners careers head stright down the crapper once won. There have been a few who have rose to stardom, but the majority have just tanked. The only good thing about winning the trophy could be that you could get more money for a contract with your first team or two. I know if I was a player I'd be praying to not win the trophy period !

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Your statement makes no sense at all. I'll bet that if you asked any NCAA football player if they would be happy winning the Heisman they would all say yes.

The Heisman is given to the best college player, not the best college player who will do well in the NFL.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

ask Geno Torretta,Andre Ware,Rashaan Salaam,Dann Wuerffel,Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke,Eric Crouch, Jason White,Matt Leinart,Troy Smith, Charles White, John Cappaletti, Billy Sims (awesome 5 year career).......

Hell Yeah.....It's the Kiss of Death----ask Orenthal James Simpson also

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

A good reason for that is alot of todays era heisman winners played in the big 10, pac 10, etc, weak conferences with absolutely no defense. Thus when they get in real playing time in versus supreme talent, they are a nobody and exposed as a should-have-been-a-hotdog-vendor. But whoever wins the hiesman can expect a pretty sweet paycheck whomever they sign with though, thas is for sure.

Look since 2002.
    who has been a success and who has failed?

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

The Heisman winners seem to do better as analysts

TexansFan

Again, the award isn't for the best college player who will perform well in the NFL. It's a college award and nothing else. There are plenty of stars in college football who don't make it in the NFL.

The Heisman is a prestigious award that everyone will remember you won it for the rest of your life.

letsgo
    letsgo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30330

Winning the Heisman does not impact your career, those people were going to have shitty careers whether they won the Heisman or not.

TexansFan

Quote Originally Posted by letsgo View Post
    Winning the Heisman does not impact your career, those people were going to have shitty careers whether they won the Heisman or not.
    Exactly, winning the award has no relevance at all to how you will perform at the next level. The only reason it stands out is because you won the Heisman, and therefore the media attention is on you as a winner.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Ask Charles Woodson. He'll let you know.